New mommy with an infant... 40 pounds to go!

Options
Skinny_Kitty
Skinny_Kitty Posts: 136 Member
edited October 2015 in Motivation and Support
Hello!
I am a first-time mommy with a gorgeous, 4 month old baby boy. I was trying to lose weight when I got pregnant and immediately stopped once I found out that I was expecting. I gained 30 pounds during my pregnancy and have lost my pregnancy weight already (don't ask me how... I really don't know! It just kind of fell off. I was not breastfeeding, however I drank about 2 gallons of water a day. I was so thirsty all the time!).
Now I am focused on losing the weight that I was trying to get rid of; before I got pregnant. I want to lose ~40 more pounds (to get me to a healthy BMI). I am 5'11" and 33 years old. I have been on MFP for a while now... tracking everything, even though I do not stay within my calories each day. I'm trying hard, but I'm human and mess up very easily (especially since my hubby only wants to eat chicken wings and french fries! :s ).
We are planning on going to Vegas with friends in June 2016, and I want to be able to wear shorts and feel comfortable and confident. (I am bottom heavy... shaped like a bowling pin. Shorts are the enemy!)
I work full time at a desk job and by the time I get my baby, go home, make dinner and clean up... I just want to snuggle with my little man and go to bed!
I just recently lost my father-in-law due to a sudden cardiac arrest. His sudden death has been so traumatic and horrible for my family. My husband and I have recently joined the local Planet Fitness as we want to get in shape and be healthy. We don't want our son to go through what we have just been through! We want to live a long, healthy life. It's just finding the time... When we do go, it's for 20-30 minutes and only about 2 times a week. It's very hard to get to the gym!
So, basically, this long rant was to introduce myself and see if there was anyone else in the same boat as me. Do you have any tricks, tips or ideas to help lose this weight? Any busy mommies out there who have figured out a way to juggle it all? I'm all ears and welcome any advice! ;)

Replies

• ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    Hi there .....Congrats on your son ...... Sorry about your father-in-law.....Feel free to add me ...wishing you the best :) I am a single mom to a beautiful 10 year old daughter whom I homeschool ...so I get up at 4am and workout before starting our school day at 7am ....
  • Laviegurl25
    Laviegurl25 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Skinny_kitty
    Good for you for recognizing and wanting to make some changes!! Thats hard to do! I am a mother of 2. a 4 year old girl and a 13 month old boy. Kids sure keep you busy. Long story short, for both of my kids i gained 70lbs/pregnancy. my daughter, i lost all the weight on my own. Exercise, eating right. After my son, i tried everything including MFP. Nothing was working. I joined a wellness program in my home town. Im 5 weeks complete down 12 lbs. Make simple rules! And follow! Make realistic expectations to meet!
    Rules such as; drink 10 glasses of water, exercise 6x a week (i always do when kids are napping! 20 mins of cardio is what my aim always is while they nap). No eating after 8pm. The program i am on concentrates on clean eating so no processed foods. And for each meal you have a protein and a carb. each snack is a protein and a carb. (in the program i am in, a fruit is considered a carb!)
    Also aim for 5g of sugar or less in anything you buy. (cereals, yogurts etc) and aim for less then 450g of sodium (soups, dressings etc)
    These are the rules i have been following. hope that helps! Add me if you want. i don't track my food on MFP but i do track it on my own at home. :)
  • Skinny_Kitty
    Skinny_Kitty Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Skinny_kitty
    Good for you for recognizing and wanting to make some changes!! Thats hard to do! I am a mother of 2. a 4 year old girl and a 13 month old boy. Kids sure keep you busy. Long story short, for both of my kids i gained 70lbs/pregnancy. my daughter, i lost all the weight on my own. Exercise, eating right. After my son, i tried everything including MFP. Nothing was working. I joined a wellness program in my home town. Im 5 weeks complete down 12 lbs. Make simple rules! And follow! Make realistic expectations to meet!
    Rules such as; drink 10 glasses of water, exercise 6x a week (i always do when kids are napping! 20 mins of cardio is what my aim always is while they nap). No eating after 8pm. The program i am on concentrates on clean eating so no processed foods. And for each meal you have a protein and a carb. each snack is a protein and a carb. (in the program i am in, a fruit is considered a carb!)
    Also aim for 5g of sugar or less in anything you buy. (cereals, yogurts etc) and aim for less then 450g of sodium (soups, dressings etc)
    These are the rules i have been following. hope that helps! Add me if you want. i don't track my food on MFP but i do track it on my own at home. :)

GREAT advice!!!!! Thanks so much! :)
  • sphyxy
    sphyxy Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am 32, also a FTM and have a 4 week old and ready to get back on track after FINALLY feeling better from my c section. I had lost 95 pounds, gained 30 back right before getting pregnant, and then gained 50 during pregnancy. I've lost half the pregnancy weight and now it's time to get serious. Looking for more friends and support!
  • Laviegurl25
    Options
    i added you both! :)
    hope we can all help each other out!
    I was told the first week your in, goes great! Your motivated and ready to go. but most people dont last through the second. But once you do, it gets easier! So just PUSH through that second week!!!!!!
  • eved305
    eved305 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It took me almost 2 years to get it right after giving birth. I know life gets complicated. What has helped me the most is morning walks with my son, he gets to go outside in the stroller and I get to walk a mile. Meal planning as much as I can. I do as much prep as I can for a few days at a time. Like season chicken and have cooked brown rice and veggies ready to go. It helps when I get home and I am to tired to think to get it all together. I also make all my lunches the night before or even a week before if I can all portioned out. When I can I try to fit in a run at night or go to the gym where I live. The husband and I trade off who stay with my son at night and who goes. Usually only like 30 minutes cause I am usually beat by that time, I cant even imagine working out every night with a 4 month old as you barely get much sleep. Fit in what you can, drink lots of water, and meal prep and weigh your food. Go slow and do the best you can. :)
  • Rubeis
    Rubeis Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am 35 with two kids and trying for a third. I've lost 27 lbs so far but I'd like to lose 10 more before we do this baby thing again. The struggle is real!
  • ragenhay1
    ragenhay1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    HI I'm 31 with a five year old and two month old. I lost 20lbs right before I got pregnant then gained 50 during pregnancy. I currently have 60lbs to lose. I am breastfeeding and go to the gym for an hour Monday to Friday while my oldest is in school. I struggle with trying to figure out exactly how many calories I can have to be in deficit without compromising my milk supply.
  • robyndobyn3
    robyndobyn3 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I pretty much just sent a friend request to every mommy who has commented on this thread!! 34 year old mommy to a 16 month old. I had 30 pounds to lose when I got pregnant. Gained 30 during pregnancy. Now I have about 50 to lose to get to my goal weight. I work full-time as well so I understand the struggle - wake up, get everyone fed and out the door (I include my 2 dogs and husband in that statement), go to work, pick up baby, make dinner, snuggle, sleep. Not much time for healthy choices in there! The one thing I can make time for is choosing good food to eat during the day. That is WAY easier said than done though. I find that if I make an exact plan for the week (3 meals, 1 snack each day - including recipes) and then do the grocery shopping and prep on the weekend that I am much more likely to have a good healthy week. The weeks that I don't do this, we end up eating out or ordering pizza because I am too tired to try and think of something healthy to make. I just started running once a week in the morning. With a toddler, I am not getting much sleep so I cherish every minute of my morning sleep; however, I decided that at least once a week I need to get out for some me time and the morning is the only way to make it happen. I find that on these day (today is one!) I feel happier, more relaxed, and actually get more accomplished. It is good for me and my family!! All of my friends had kids in their 20s so I am going through all this post-baby weight loss alone. Any encouragement from women in similar situations is greatly appreciated!
  • Laviegurl25
    Options
    I pretty much just sent a friend request to every mommy who has commented on this thread!! 34 year old mommy to a 16 month old. I had 30 pounds to lose when I got pregnant. Gained 30 during pregnancy. Now I have about 50 to lose to get to my goal weight. I work full-time as well so I understand the struggle - wake up, get everyone fed and out the door (I include my 2 dogs and husband in that statement), go to work, pick up baby, make dinner, snuggle, sleep. Not much time for healthy choices in there! The one thing I can make time for is choosing good food to eat during the day. That is WAY easier said than done though. I find that if I make an exact plan for the week (3 meals, 1 snack each day - including recipes) and then do the grocery shopping and prep on the weekend that I am much more likely to have a good healthy week. The weeks that I don't do this, we end up eating out or ordering pizza because I am too tired to try and think of something healthy to make. I just started running once a week in the morning. With a toddler, I am not getting much sleep so I cherish every minute of my morning sleep; however, I decided that at least once a week I need to get out for some me time and the morning is the only way to make it happen. I find that on these day (today is one!) I feel happier, more relaxed, and actually get more accomplished. It is good for me and my family!! All of my friends had kids in their 20s so I am going through all this post-baby weight loss alone. Any encouragement from women in similar situations is greatly appreciated!

you can get there!! I have two kids, two dogs, and a husband who suffers from depression and anxiety (which takes a lot out of me as well to ensure he is feeling well, not overwhelmed, so my plate gets full of tasks to lighten his anxiety)
    Its all in the Prep! Keep prepping and you will succeed in no time. i find i succeed in a group setting for encouragement and meal planning, but i succeed exercising on my own. i don't rely on someone elses schedule for that, or i will fail. I always hit the treadmill or DVDs for at least 20 mins once kids go to bed. (7ish)
    Once you get your schedule figured out keep it! and keep going!! I added you as well, and am around if you need to chat.
    ps. i agree, i too cherish my morning sleeps! haha.
  • Laviegurl25
    Options
    OH and if you tell your husband your plan, ask if he will support it. That he takes a little extra time to watch the wee one. that helps a lot as well!
  • Watch_Me_Shine416
    Watch_Me_Shine416 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm a FTM to my 6 month old daughter and it can be hard balancing everything! I make sure to get cardio in atleast 3 times a week. I take her for walks or go to my fitness center at our apartment complex or even do some workouts on YouTube while she naps lol. It's all about making the time! But you will feel better and you can totally do this! Feel free to add me if you'd like, I know the struggle