New to MFP

Options
Hi everyone, my name is Marci and I'm from Louisville, KY. I'm new to MFP but certainly no newbie when it comes to weight loss. I've used different methods in the past, mainly LoseIt!, however, I dropped 30 of my 45 pound weight loss goal during my short stint with Weight Watchers last year. I'm finding myself here after learning MFP connects with Fitbit and my newest gear, the Garmin Forerunner 15. I'm a data geek and thrive on having my numbers, so I'm already hooked.

I started running in May 2015 along with a girl I cross train with at the gym. My employer paid for the entry for 5 employees to run the Urban Bourbon Half Marathon, and I signed up (for some very strange reason), so come Saturday I will be running a very long 13.1 miles, well, let's say jogging/walking. ;)

Replies

• JanelleG0122
    JanelleG0122 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    MFP is extremely useful, and I love that it connects with my fitbit! Counting calories to me is the only thing that worked and kept the weight off, since it's really not a diet. If you haven't really counted calories before the first 2 weeks or so can be extremely annoying, and if you have the app I suggest using the barcode scanner to input foods as it really helps!
    Congrats on deciding to run the half marathon! 13.1 miles is no easy task, heck I can't do more than 4.5 miles at a time without stopping. I wish you the best of luck on your journey and good luck!
  • sval421
    sval421 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It's nice to find another person from Louisville on here! I've never been much of a cardio person so maybe you can help me get motivated to go running more often haha
  • KaterinaDokuzova94
    KaterinaDokuzova94 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Runz4Life wrote: »
    Hi everyone, my name is Marci and I'm from Louisville, KY. I'm new to MFP but certainly no newbie when it comes to weight loss. I've used different methods in the past, mainly LoseIt!, however, I dropped 30 of my 45 pound weight loss goal during my short stint with Weight Watchers last year. I'm finding myself here after learning MFP connects with Fitbit and my newest gear, the Garmin Forerunner 15. I'm a data geek and thrive on having my numbers, so I'm already hooked.

I started running in May 2015 along with a girl I cross train with at the gym. My employer paid for the entry for 5 employees to run the Urban Bourbon Half Marathon, and I signed up (for some very strange reason), so come Saturday I will be running a very long 13.1 miles, well, let's say jogging/walking. ;)

I wish I was paid for running...Doesn't matter, I will do it no matter the cost :) Just remember to enjoy your run and not stress. Running should not be forced it comes from inside. Also it is a good idea to take a bottle for water with belt . This year half-marathon next year full and some day who knows maybe ultra. Wish you luck :)
  • slyce0flife
    slyce0flife Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've been counting calories for what seems like 100 years. I can already tell MFP has a much better database of food compared to LI and WW. Thanks firecutie18 for reminding me there's an app, I just downloaded it.

sval421, I've never been much into cardio either. I was always the kid the teacher was telling to run during our presidential tests but then as soon as the gym teacher turned his/her back I was walking again! I can't really say what got me in to running other than just wanting to prove to myself that I could do it. After I finished a couple 5Ks, I decided I wanted to get faster. If 10 years ago someone said you'll run 13.1 miles in 2015, I would have laughed it off and said, "uh, nope!" I think I had a lapse in judgment volunteering to run in the UBHM, but I'm crossing that finish line even if I am crawling.

Ha, Katerina, I wish running paid too! I'm not sure if I'll ever be a marathoner, but who knows? I wasn't planning on carrying any water since there will be several water/powerade stations along the course, but I may have to have some in between. I bought a flipbelt and really don't want to have to wear another one just to carry water. Camelback? LOL