aliciahardinhall Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • aliciahardinhall
    Options
    Thank you. I di
    Kalikel wrote: »
    You're not going to lose weight every week. That's just part of the process. Some people do, but many have weeks where they don't lose weight. Patience is required!

Also, if you did way more walking than normal, you may have picked up a little "water weight" which will drop off over time. It *could* mask an actual loss.

Stick with it. You'll get there. :)
    Thank you. I didn't know walking could make u pick up water weight.
  • aliciahardinhall
    Options
    I agree with the sodium at subway! when I was eating there regularly, even just a veggie sandwich I was gaining weight. it was probably water weight though too, the bread is crazy with sodium which makes me plump!

I know. I thought I was doing a good thing instead of eating fries n a burger lol
  • aliciahardinhall
    Options
    When I was heavier I lost every single week, I didn't believe I was whoosh type of loser. I am post menopausal and low sodium so I avoid the typical water retention pitfalls. I experienced my first multi-week stall about a month ago, followed by a nice whoosh of weight loss. I was grateful that I had lost 50 lbs with a regular pattern of a loss every week, because I trusted the process, but I was still a little scared every day the scale didn't go down. Just keep at it and the results will come.

Thank yoy. I'm not gonna quit. I think I just needed some motivation!
  • aliciahardinhall
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    OP, there's nothing wrong with eating Subway while you're losing. As long as it fits into your calorie goal for the day, it's fine. And, like everyone else has said, assuming your tracking is on point the scale will move.

You know that - you've already lost 30 lbs. Congrats.

Thank you. Just a bad week I guess. Just needed some motivation.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Remember there is nothing wrong with water weight. As women we fluctuate all over the place anyway. Water weight can sometimes mask fat loss and although it can suck because it looks like we've stalled but over time it all balances out. We are so conditioned to get excited whenever we lose a pound. So eat your Subway if you like and don't worry about the sodium. You are still losing fat as long as you are eating at a calorie deficit. Trust me it will eventually show on the scale. Have patience.
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I didn't know walking could make u pick up water weight.

You won't "pick up" any more water weight than what you intake. To be clear, sore muscles will hold on to water as they heal. They need water to heal, don't limit your intake to try to cut back on retention.

Your walking would have to be fairly intense to hold on to any notable amount.

• ZeroDelta
    ZeroDelta Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    Look at a graph of the past three months of weighing yourself. If you can draw a line from the start to the finish and it's going down, you're fine. Mine has ups as well as downs, but the overall TREND is down, which is what you want. I know it's frustrating to not see the scale budge for a time, just have to keep in mind that weight loss isn't linear. You will have ups and downs, so it helps to step back and look a the big picture when you're frustrated.

Here's a great web site for doing just that. Completely automagic if you have a Withings or Fitbit scale.

TrendWeight
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Just remind yourself that you're building muscle out of fat. You may not have lost any weight, but you converted fat to muscle with all your walking...and that's to be commended!

this is absolute madness lol - you cant create muscle from fat - muscle that you already have just gets bigger and you lose fat with dieting - you gain muscle mass from strength training and eating at a certain limit to gain muscle mass.

what can happen is that as you exercise preferably new exercise muscles can tear - and your body will hold extra water in order for the muscles to repair - this retention can last for a good few weeks - i think i had it for 4 weeks straight until i got the whoosh effect...
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Give up bread, milk, and soda. Whala - you be good!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    You will have ups and downs as others already have said, some weeks are like that, what you should note is the overall trend and that it is going downwards.
  • tyediri
    tyediri Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Look at a graph of the past three months of weighing yourself. If you can draw a line from the start to the finish and it's going down, you're fine. Mine has ups as well as downs, but the overall TREND is down, which is what you want. I know it's frustrating to not see the scale budge for a time, just have to keep in mind that weight loss isn't linear. You will have ups and downs, so it helps to step back and look a the big picture when you're frustrated.

This is so true, and see attached my graph for the last few months (in kg).
    Since the end of August, I have been weighing myself daily to look at the level of variation and any correlation with high sodium intake, etc (because I am a geek).
    I only have a few kg to lose, so I am losing at snail rate, but look at the fluctuations. There is even a rogue almost 2kg jump around the 7th of Sep, but the overall trend is downwards, so don't worry about the ups and downs.

tjvzfdy7djw7.jpg
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Patience.
  • tkbrown_xo
    tkbrown_xo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Omg that's like me !! I weighed 68kgs been eating so darn healthy and exercising everyday for the past 5 weeks and I just hopped on the scale today and its a booming 70.2kgs ugh !
  • red0801
    red0801 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    tyediri wrote: »

Since the end of August, I have been weighing myself daily to look at the level of variation and any correlation with high sodium intake, etc (because I am a geek).
    I only have a few kg to lose, so I am losing at snail rate, but look at the fluctuations. There is even a rogue almost 2kg jump around the 7th of Sep, but the overall trend is downwards, so don't worry about the ups and downs.

tjvzfdy7djw7.jpg

Love this!

But regarding motivation...have you every done body mass measurements? They can be a GREAT tool to track weekly/monthly fitness progress.

• dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options

tjvzfdy7djw7.jpg

Exactly. I don't weigh everyday (mostly because I forget to), but you can see peaks and valleys all over my last year. Yet, the line from start to finish is going down.
    weightgraphyear_zpsndrnzq5w.jpg

Part of the reason I don't suggest weighing every day is that seeing that constant fluctuation, some of it up, can be discouraging, even when you're expecting it. Not everyone feels that way, but it you're weighing every day and not seeing progress, or seeing gain, I would suggest stepping back and try only weighing once or twice a week instead for a couple of months. Keep on your calorie goal, weigh EVERYTHING to make sure you're not missing extra calories here and there (trust me, it's really easy to miss calories if you're not watching!) , and give yourself some time. I'm sure that's the last thing you want to hear, but it is better for your body to lose slowly and learn eating habits that will help you in the long term.
  • tyediri
    tyediri Posts: 183 Member
    Options

tjvzfdy7djw7.jpg

Exactly. I don't weigh everyday (mostly because I forget to), but you can see peaks and valleys all over my last year. Yet, the line from start to finish is going down.
    weightgraphyear_zpsndrnzq5w.jpg

Part of the reason I don't suggest weighing every day is that seeing that constant fluctuation, some of it up, can be discouraging, even when you're expecting it. Not everyone feels that way, but it you're weighing every day and not seeing progress, or seeing gain, I would suggest stepping back and try only weighing once or twice a week instead for a couple of months. Keep on your calorie goal, weigh EVERYTHING to make sure you're not missing extra calories here and there (trust me, it's really easy to miss calories if you're not watching!) , and give yourself some time. I'm sure that's the last thing you want to hear, but it is better for your body to lose slowly and learn eating habits that will help you in the long term.

Oh yes, I didn't stress this earlier, but I don't recommend weighing daily. It can feel very discouraging. I weighed weekly for months, years even before being able to weigh daily and not be bothered, and besides, for my day job I look at fluctuations and variation in processes and machines, so I tend to look at variation differently than most would anyway.
    Just remember that just because the weight seems to have increased or stayed the same on your weigh-in day doesn't mean that it is not working. Keep at it and you will start to see this downward trend too. :smile:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,969 Member
    Options
    Just as FYI, I go to Subway almost every day and I get either a 6-inch BLT or a 6-Inch Oven Roasted Chicken breast on wheat with lettuce, tomato, onions, green peppers, and black pepper. I also get Utz BBQ chips (regular) and Diet Coke (bottle). I'm on a slightly restricted sodium diet (doctor wants me to keep it under 2000 mg a day) and this takes about a 1000 all by itself, but I can make this work into my diet/schedule. I am able to stay under my calorie goal and I have been losing steadily. Since March 2015, I have lost over 60lbs.

Congrats!

Thanks for posting the specifics about the sodium.