Opinions on diet and detox waters.

Options
Arlala555
Arlala555 Posts: 61 Member
To start off I love plain old water! Recently I have been seeing recipes online for at home detox waters. I saw one with Apples and Cinnamon sticks and another one with Cucumbers and Mint leaves. Then there is Crystal Light which has been around for ever and now this Mio energy flavor enhancer squarty thing. What do you guys/gals think of these water supplements? Do they help you lose weight/bloat? Give you more energy? Do you have any good "at home" recipes of your own? I would love to see your guys takes on these, Thanks!

Replies

• chadraeder3
    chadraeder3 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    In my opinion detox is a fraud, hokum, just a money making scheme for some people to sell books, and other products to people who want a easy way out. Most people gained the excess weight by eating high caloric food and not using the excess calories like me (there are some who have medical conditions which I would excuse) this is a natural instinct that was passed down through the generations and helped our ancestors to survive but in the society that we have created the reasons for that instinct are now obsolete. We are now fighting our instincts and this is going to be a hard battle but our species has overcome obstacles before and we will again, until medical science figures out how to fix this issue we have to fight it with what we have and that is being observant of the things you are putting in to your body and what you are expending it is a math problem.
  • Arlala555
    Arlala555 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Bump! Anyone else like to join in?
  • kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    Options
    I really like Dasani water enhancers...the pink lemonade kind...I just think it's delicious...no health benefits though. :P
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I don't see any benefits to any of those "recipes" other than they make water taste better. Cucumber and mint is delicious.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Just drink more water. Anything you add in will be for flavor, water will keep things moving and "flush" you out and that is what you want correct?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    For flavor they're great. For anything else - just hooey.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I don't see any benefits to any of those "recipes" other than they make water taste better. Cucumber and mint is delicious.

Yup, this. Mint is supposedly good for digestion, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it has "detoxing" benefits.
  • michellechawner
    Options

^This - the apple cinnamon sounds nice, especially in winter :) But I don't see it "detoxing" anything. Rarely I will have crystal light, just for something different. And Mio is crap, IMO. The dye stains my hands horribly, I would really rather not put that into my body (yes, you can say the same thing for crystal light, that's why I said rarely.)
  • techteachergirl
    techteachergirl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I can't use crystal light or mil because the sweeteners give me migraines, but sometimes water just needs a change so I love add fruit slices or mint. Apple, cucumber, mint, watermelon, orange... I have enjoyed them all and more. I don't do it for the "benefits" only the flavor.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options

Yup, this. Mint is supposedly good for digestion, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it has "detoxing" benefits.

I can remember a lot of the blue rinse brigade ladies that used to come into my salon when I was hairdressing in my teens. They used to swear by a slice of lemon in hot water first thing in the morning. This supposdly kick starts the digestion too.