Protein: does it matter?

Options
so I am sure this question gets asked a lot but I seem to find conflicting information.

Does it matter when you eat protein?

Say your trying to build or maintain muscles. Does it matter if you eat protein through out the day, say every 4 hours or eat it all at once.

I keep seeing people suggest 20-30g with each meal etc but what about intermittent fasting or the people who eat one meal a day?

Is the spread protein throughout the day the old way of thinking?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Personal preference. A study done on elderly actually showed a better absorption rate when 80% of their protein was eaten in a single meal. Meal and nutrient timing becomes important for people who are in competitive sports and looking for a slight advantage. For the average person timing of protein isn't very important.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    For me, a meal with insufficient protein in relationship to carbs is not satisfying and can make me sleepy, so I look at protein for every meal except for my bedtime snack.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    For the average person timing of protein isn't very important.

That's what I thought.

• usmcmp
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    For the average person timing of protein isn't very important.

That's what I thought.

It can impact how satisfying a meal feels. Many people don't feel like a meal is filling unless there is adequate protein in it.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Health experts will say it doesn't matter.

There are people who, for their own reasons, like to eat excessive amounts of protein and eat certain macros at certain times, and I support that choice - it works for them! It isn't really necessary, though.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    For me it does matter..the amount i eat. Not when but since i eat more protein i am less sore. My muscles seem to react better.

But yes, personal preference for sure

95069916.png
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Just wondering cause some days I would have protein with each meals so every 5 or so hours.

Other days there might be 11-12 hours between meals because I skipped lunch and have a bigger dinner.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Just wondering cause some days I would have protein with each meals so every 5 or so hours.

Other days there might be 11-12 hours between meals because I skipped lunch and have a bigger dinner.

You're not a competitive bodybuilder trying to gain a 1% edge. You're fine.
  • winnie141
    winnie141 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I eat protein at every snack and meal...but I am a diabetic and it helps with blood sugar levels. I always choose small portions of light cheeses, hard boiled eggs, peanut butter, ect. Without it I wouldn't be able to function very well!
  • sarahdelrosso
    sarahdelrosso Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Some great thoughts here. I think adding fish and eggs to your diet is very helpful. After looking over the science it is tough to like chicken and beef.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    my 2 cents... I have a personal preference to consume protein post workout for sure.. also to meet my macros, splitting it out is a must.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    The 20-30g at a time comes from the amount that will have the normal amount of leucine that has maximum synthesis and any more doesn't increase it.