1.5 pounds or 1 pound?

Options
Hello,
I am attempting (struggling) to lose 15-20 pounds. Should I set my goal at 1.5 pound a week or just one pound? I'm currently 5'6" 140 pounds.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Half pound is probably more realistic with that little to lose,,,
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    1, then after you lose the first five pounds switch to .5. Since you're already at a healthy weight, you should go slow to minimize loss of lean mass.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I'd say one. It's up to you, but one will probably be a lot easier. I have 25-30 and I'm doing 1.2/week. Well, that's the goal. I don't actually lose that, so one could say I'm doing maybe 1/2 lb a week, lol. But the goal is 1.2 :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Half pound is probably more realistic with that little to lose,,,

Cosigned. The conventional wisdom is to lose a half pound per week for every 25 pounds you have to lose.
  • sarahrosheen
    sarahrosheen Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    oh good tip kshama2001 - I didn't know that
  • lucyleigh4
    lucyleigh4 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I started a little higher than you weight wise. Same height. I did 1 lb a week. I also move a lot more to get bonus calories. Never thought I would be a runner. lol. Good luck!
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    rebma164 wrote: »
    Hello,
    I am attempting (struggling) to lose 15-20 pounds. Should I set my goal at 1.5 pound a week or just one pound? I'm currently 5'6" 140 pounds.

If you are exercising and dieting you should be fine with 1.5, but if you are just dieting 1 would probably be better. Or even .5 as someone else recommended since you don't have much to lose.