Quick question for runners!

Options
Hi everyone :)

I just have a question for you runners out there... I've started running two weeks ago (I was sure I just couldn't do it before and that people who loved running were crazy people - I was stupid haha) and I've found out that when I come back from a run, I am usually not hungry at all. Is it normal? Or is it strange?

Before taking up running, I walked a lot and I was always starving when I came back from my long walks so it just seems very surprising to me that I feel perfectly fine for hours after a run. Sorry if it's a stupid topic.

Thanks in avance for your answers :flowerforyou:

Also, sorry if my English is not good, I'm French :)

xx
Ginny

Replies

• PollyWolly98
    PollyWolly98 Posts: 112
    Options
    I find that if I run on an empty stomach (first thing in the morning), then I return home and I'm starving. However, when I run later in the day, I have a hard time eating anything after the run. I just don't really feel hungry. It's funny you mentioned this, because I ran last night and had planned to eat dinner after I returned, but then didn't feel like eating anything. I ate a bowl of cereal before bed, but could have easily done without it.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I'm not hungry after runs either. A glass of chocolate milk is my ideal post run snack.

However if I go to the gym and spin or strength train.... I could go home and eat everything.
  • HealthyGinny
    HealthyGinny Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Well, at least, I'm glad it's not just me :) Thanks for replying :smile:
  • HealthyGinny
    Options
    I'm not hungry after runs either. A glass of chocolate milk is my ideal post run snack.

Same here! :wink:
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I am usually not hungry after a hard workout until about 2-3 hours later.
  • Tiznonay
    Tiznonay Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I run in the evenings. And even if im hungry before I run, afterwards I'm almost never hungry...

Someone said drink a glass of chocolate milk - I second that! I usually do regular 1% milk, but its a good way to get some calories and protein in even if you don't feel like eating
  • coleeli
    coleeli Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm not hungry either. I usually just have a glass of milk/protein shake. If I need the calories, I'll make a filling smoothie so I can drink the rest of them and not have to eat. It's easier to do than to chew them all.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Best way to get me to eat a small dinner? Go to the gym.

I'm rarely hungry after exercise. I tend to eat a little before I go to the gym, whether I'm doing weights or cardio, mostly because I workout in the evenings and it will be six or seven hours since I last ate and my body needs something. Usually a couple of boiled eggs will do it.

When I come back, I may have a small bowl of cereal or just drink a few cups of tea!!!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I think most people are not hungry immediately after vigorous exercise. Maybe two-three hours later. But not right after.
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I am less hungry after running- more hungry after lifting
  • gabequinn19
    Options
    I agree with the previous post...if I run in the morning I am hungry. However, when I run after work I have to force myself to eat (no matter how far I've run).
  • HealthyGinny
    Options
    Yeah, I run in the evenings. And even if im hungry before I run, afterwards I'm almost never hungry...

Someone said drink a glass of chocolate milk - I second that! I usually do regular 1% milk, but its a good way to get some calories and protein in even if you don't feel like eating

Yes, I do that too, it's the only thing I can have after a run :)
  • HealthyGinny
    Options
    I think most people are not hungry immediately after vigorous exercise. Maybe two-three hours later. But not right after.

Thank you, I didn't know that! For instance, when I was doing the 30-Day Shred, I was starving right after so I thought it'd be the same with running...
  • bettepower
    bettepower Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    True, this is an interesting article addressing running and appetite.
    http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/29/is-it-better-to-walk-or-run/?_r=0
  • JankaLee
    JankaLee Posts: 35 Member
    Options

However if I go to the gym and spin or strength train.... I could go home and eat everything.

This is me. And, I too after most workouts have a nice tall class of milk :)
  • faceoff4
    faceoff4 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    For me it depends on when I exercise more than what I am doing. If its mornings then I am not usually hungry afterwards. I normally do mid day workouts or evenings, and mid day I am starving afterwards. I tend to eat every 2-3 hours religiously and for some reason mid day I tend to be hungriest.
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I am never hungry after a run but if I lift weights then I am STARVING afterwards!!!
  • alikonda
    alikonda Posts: 2,358 Member
    Options
    I'm almost never hungry after a workout unless it's swimming (in which case I want to EAT ALL THE THINGS), but I force myself to eat/drink calories because your body is most prepared to effectively allocate the calories & nutrients to repair your muscles immediately after your workout. For running or other heavy cardio workouts, your optimal window of opportunity is only open up to 30 minutes or so afterwards; strength/weight-lifting usually opens it to 2-3 hours...
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    For me, the answer is "it depends."

For those days when I'm running 30-40 minutes, I'm not usually hungry when I get back. Of course, my usual pre-run meal may be a bowl of oatmeal or, more recently, a cup of Greek style yogurt with a little granola mixed in (~250 calories) at least 30 minutes before I leave.

Now, on the longer runs it is a different story. I may not feel pangs of hunger, but I realize I can and should definitely eat something, usually in the last couple of miles. However, I find my meals are still pretty typical after I return, whether its breakfast, brunch, or lunch. I am trying to avoid running in the heat of the day.
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I am absolute ravenous after my workouts! I have to have a protein shake as soon a I get home, otherwise I'll make some poor food choices. That's just me though.