Runners who lift

I am currently training for a half marathon but also enjoy lifting and would like to do both alongside each other.
How do you guys balance this? I'd love to see your schedules.

Replies

• yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    I only did weights once a week whilst I was training for a half. I wasn't able to do any more due to needing adequate recovery time between runs and fitting it in around other things.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Are you lifting to build muscle or lifting as x-training to support your running?

I do the latter and generally shoot for 2 to 3 workouts a week of higher reps, lower weights, core and hips/glutes.

Typically I'll run Tues, Thurs, Sat & Sun and lift Tues, Thurs & Sat. On Mon, Wed & Fri I'll row or bike (or both)
  • pearshapedmum
    pearshapedmum Posts: 131 Member
    the most progress/success that I saw for myself (last year) was running twice per week, a midweek run fixed at 7 miles ish, and then a longer one on weekends which increased a little each week. I strength trained 3 x per week, and did 1 kick boxing session per week. My knees seem to like the recovery days, hence the twice weekly running. I know that there are many who pretty much every day!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    I run and lift. I run at 5:00 a.m. and then lift later in the day. I lift (splits) 6 days a week and Sunday off all exercise. If I did not run this early it would not get done.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Are you lifting to build muscle or lifting as x-training to support your running?

I do the latter and generally shoot for 2 to 3 workouts a week of higher reps, lower weights, core and hips/glutes.

Typically I'll run Tues, Thurs, Sat & Sun and lift Tues, Thurs & Sat. On Mon, Wed & Fri I'll row or bike (or both)

This is pretty much what I do now. But I do SL 5x5 3-days a week.

I thought you have that up because you couldn't make gains with the cycling/running training/calorie intake you were doing?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    crazyravr wrote: »
    This isnt my post so I will update the original with new pics stats etc.

I'm not asking for an update. Last I knew you weren't doing SL because of the balancing performance issue which is relevant to the OP's post.