help with hamstring curls - advice on plan if you can

Options
Hi,

I've recently joined a new gym (which is so awesome)... had a meeting with a PT to discuss what I want (to be healthy and strong)... and I've been put on an overall body strength + HIIT plan for a week until being reassessed next week to see if I can go onto something like SL5x5.

Now, my full strength plan involves:
Squat with olympic bar
leg press
hamstring leg curl
military press (15kgs bar only)
wide chest press/pushups
wide grip assisted pull ups
and
single arm rows

So, what do you experts think the full strength plan (which I'm going to do twice before next week)?

Ah, but the thing is, and reason why I'm posting is - I really suck with the hamstring leg curl.
it's on one of the machines with the padding in the front and back on the leg. I can swing the leg back for the first few reps - but then, I can't get my leg to swing back fully- and I really tense up. My feet look like they're attached to broken sticks.

is there any advice or stretches on doing the hamstring leg curl properly?

I'll start googling and youtubing when I'm at home - but for now, at work, is there advices?

I also suck with the single arms rows. And I suck with the assisted pull ups. But that's because I've got no upper body strength. Damn. Surly just thinking about exercise should be enough to get results... :wink:

Anyway, any advice on anything would really be appreciated.

Replies

• armylife
    armylife Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    The reason that your PT likely has you doing this is to develop the strength and coordination necessary to begin a strength training program. What was the result of your first meeting? Did he/she tell you that you have any abnormal movement patterns or asymmetrical strength issues? Has the PT watched you perform these exercises and seen the issues you are describing?

It sounds like you might be using too much weight in the leg curls, it is a pretty straight forward exercise. If your hamstrings and hips are overly tight there are stretches you can perform during your warm up to get ready.

http://www.crossfitsantarosa.com/flexibility-and-mobility/this-weeks-mobility-wod-hamstrings/

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Lower the weight
  • sscarmack
    sscarmack Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Start with a super light weight until you get comfortable with the form and motion. Once you become comfortable, increase the weight a little bit, once you start feeling strained, decrease the weight.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I think the use of the bar only is the right way to go. Form and safety is first and foremost the most important thing starting a new program. I would increase only as your form is not compromised by lack of strength..

Your PT has you on the right track..Keep listening to him/her.. this is why they get paid the big bucks...
  • Vetticus_3
    Vetticus_3 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    So, when I went thought this the first time with the PT - we didn't go through the full set of reps. And each one I could do - with modifications on my stance etc.

So, I've got it too heavy.

Thanks everyone.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    You're going to be reassessed after a week on a program? Unless it's the early stages of rehab a week isn't enough time to get any results to determine a new training direction.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,508 Member
    Options
    If you suck at them, it's because your muscles lack the strength to do them. Which is why you continue doing them so your muscles can become accustomed to the movement.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Vetticus_3
    Options
    The reassessment is to ensure that I'm doing everything correctly on my own, and to see if I can "do" weights.
    I don't think he's had many girls who want to do free weights or be strong. Perhaps this stage is to test the waters to see if I can cope with being in the "scary" section of the gym.
    Still, he's been good so far.

I will continue to do them (at a lower weight) until I suck at them with a higher weight - maybe I should write that better.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Interesting that the PT has given you this, and not also the opposing leg extension machine. I would ask them why, and make sure they check you doing them (perhaps you haven't set the distances quite right).
  • sscarmack
    sscarmack Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    Interesting that the PT has given you this, and not also the opposing leg extension machine. I would ask them why, and make sure they check you doing them (perhaps you haven't set the distances quite right).

She's squatting and doing the leg press also. So to start, maybe the PT thought it would be overkill.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    sscarmack wrote: »

She's squatting and doing the leg press also. So to start, maybe the PT thought it would be overkill.

yes, I think doing the leg curl is overkill, can't think of any reason to just do the hamstring curl unless to correct a specific imbalance.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    I can't tell what other variables the PT has applied, but the Squat, Leg Press, and Leg Curl could make sense. The squat for overall lower body strength development, leg press to isolate the quads, leg curls to isolate the hamstrings; I'm not a huge fan of the leg press but it works.

@OP: if you can't do a good curl with the leg curl, you're likely using too much weight. start with no plates just to get the range of motion and then add 10lbs at a time until you find your groove if you will. Ask your PT about your hamstring and quadriceps mobility. If your hamstrings are unable to flex your knee, it's possible that your quads are too tight and won't release enough to allow your hamstring to correctly flex your knee.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    sscarmack wrote: »

yes, I think doing the leg curl is overkill, can't think of any reason to just do the hamstring curl unless to correct a specific imbalance.

There's no DL and no RDL or SLDL. Why do you think the leg curl is overkill? How so?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    OP, when you say PT do you mean physical therapist or do you mean personal trainer?
  • Vetticus_3
    Options
    Personal trainer

Thanks for the discussion peoples. :)
  • red0801
    red0801 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Try this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk8dpH4ZPos

Works well to strengthen core, & develop the range of motion needed.