How do you know when to stop losing?

Options
13»

Replies

• hyg99
    hyg99 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Mine kept changing. My goal weight passed and I labelled it UGW, then continued to hit my LGW. Problem is, everyone seems to have an opinion (so sick of everyones opinion!!), despite being mid healthy BMI constantly told "you need to stop now" (70lbs lost) So I stopped and I have maintained for 11 months. Now people are used to the new me, I'd quite like to get rid of the last 7lb which despite my best exercise efforts to me looks like fat. My BMI would still be well within healthy.
  • pmanney
    pmanney Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My goal was the weight corresponding to the middle of my allowable BMI range, 165 lbs. I have been maintaining 159-162.

Tired, tired, tired of people telling me, "You need to stop." I have stopped--you are comparing to the fat me...of course I look thinner.
  • Samm471
    Samm471 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    The amount of times people have told me especially men in work ( the ones who lift and have been for years) to stop going by the scales and go by the mirror and how you look! If you still feel fat keep cutting if you feel really lean start maintaining if your happy to or bulk!
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    My first goal was the top of my BMI. I lost another 3 kg after that and decided to take a maintenance break to give my mind time to adjust to my weight before I decided to lose more. I unintentionally lost some more weight while I was trying to maintain (3kg in 9 weeks). I am now trying to shift a few more kg, mostly by creating a deficit though exercise. I still don't know what I plan for my UGW to be, I'll figure it out when I get to a weight I can maintain that I am happy with.

There isn't a rush to figure it out, so just take time and adjust to your new body and experiment. You can always maintain and lose more later if you choose too.
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I was going to ask this EXACT question. My original goal was to lose 30 pounds, which put me at 135 at 5'6''. And I am now at 135.5. The last few pounds fell off (after a bit of a stall). I love all the helpful comments on here. I think I will keep going to 130, but not stress over whether I can get there or not.

I read on one of those silly internet articles that a lot of famous actresses are 130 lbs, so that would be a fun goal to reach. :)
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I spent $2000 on clothes, new suit, jeans, etc....and figured I really couldn't afford to gain the weight back, or lose more so I stopped!
    Now its not really a number, more about how things fit. When my pants, tee shirts get tight I know its time to get a little more serious about logging etc.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    My body seems happy around 140 (I'm 5'8"). I believe I'm around 20% bf right now so that gives me room to recomp and maintain my current weight range.
  • looney9708
    looney9708 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    I don't have a goal weight; my goal is to always be improving. Sometimes that might mean lowering my bodyfat to the point where I have abs. Other times it might mean putting on more muscle. Other times it might mean lifting heavier, or doing more reps of the same weight.

Sometimes these things contradict each other (putting on muscle will generally mean that my abs go away for awhile), but the important thing is that I always have a goal, and that goal is to always be better.

There is no finish line.

This!!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @victoria_1024 Congratulations on the fine job. If you have not maintained any on your way down to 99 you will need to learn your maintenance needs by trial and error using the scales to track the results of your eating results.

This time around I stopped dieting so I will just keep eating the same stuff as I have for the past year. I have stopped and maintained a few times on my way down so I know I need 2600 to lose weight and 3000 calories to maintain weight.

I have yo-yo'ed for forty years and act if doing it one more time will cause my death which may be factual at my age. :) Actually my health at 64 is better than it was at 44 so I want to keep my gain in health by continuing on my current Way Of Eating. I did this eating lifestyle change (cut out ALL grain and most all sugars) to manage my pain without Meds. After 30 days my pain dropped from 7-8 levels to 2-3 and has stayed low for the last year so I have every desire to never be obese again.