Traveling to Budapest. Healthy eating suggestions?

Options
I am leaving this week for a business trip to Budapest, Hungary. I have never been before, not really familiar with the food. I will be eating out a lot and was wondering if there was anyone here from Hungary who has suggestions. I am currently eating about 1,400 net calories per day but will have less time for excercise there so will likely be around 1200. Thanks

Replies

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Depending on how long you'll be gone, you might just not worry about it. I have no idea what you can order in Budapest, but if it was me, I'd try things for the experience and get back on track when you return.

I'm jealous... :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Married a Hungarian. Nem for No, Igen for Yes. Bab Leves, great bean soup. Borscht, beet soup. Hungarians love their sweet peppers, their smoked paprika, and their fine sausages.

Hungarian pastries are the best in the world. Regardless of the effect on your waistline, you must try at least one. There's a Hungarian crepe, Palacsinta, sometimes filled with sweetened and crushed poppy seed, and sprinkled with icing sugar.

I believe Budapest is an eminently walkable city so you could get in more exercise than you imagine.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Who knows. Im Romanian and a lot of food is prepared with oil, im sure it is in Hungary as well. The meat cuts will not be lean so expect high calories from that. Just eat small portions of everything you get.
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Depending on how long you'll be gone, you might just not worry about it. I have no idea what you can order in Budapest, but if it was me, I'd try things for the experience and get back on track when you return.

I'm jealous... :)

Yup. I'll also add that I didn't count a d*mn thing on a 2-week international trip I took a few months ago. Instead, I focused on trying new things, really paying attention and enjoying the food when I ate, and stopping when I was satisfied. Combined with tons of walking, I actually lost a pound or two.
  • echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    All they have is health food. That's why they're always Hungary. (See what I did there?)
  • ebouchie
    ebouchie Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for those great suggestions. I am down to my last 20 or so pounds (lost 54 so far) so I don't want lose momentum. Just found out that the office is about a 15 minute walk from hotel so that is good. And yes, I will certainly enjoy the local cuisine. I was in Paris for two weeks in April and managed to lose 4 lbs then so I am hopeful I won't gain at least in Hungary.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Easiest place in the world to be Hungary. (See what I did there?)
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the advice that's been given above. Budapest was the first European city I ever visited, and it was wonderful! Business travel isn't always conducive to sightseeing, but I hope you get some time to explore. The House of Terror is really interesting, as is the Doheny (sp?) Street Synagogue and the ruin pubs. Plenty of American food to be found if you are really desperate. Beer is SUPER cheap!