Do you have a time after which you don't eat anything?

Options

Replies

• summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I'm in the I'll stop when I'm sleeping group! I always have a chocolate when I get into bed :smile:
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I stop eating when I'm asleep. ;)

For me, I eat up to about 11:30pm each day. I resume again at after 12:00pm. And no I don't work swing shifts.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This! Don't want to choke on the leftover food.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I try to stop eating at least three hours before I sleep.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I eat in bed, up until it's time to go to sleep. Sexy, I know.
  • mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Brush my teeth with my kids at about 8:00 and usually don't eat anything more for the day lest I need to brush again. I don't believe that it matters how late you eat your last food but I am typically pretty close to my calorie goal by this time anyway.
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I try to stop eating at least three hours before I sleep.

same here, mostly due to sleep comfort not diet.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Nope. I generally eat when I'm hungry these days. I tend to stop caffeine around noon. I used to avoid eating a sugary dessert too late, but now my desserts are less sugary, so it doesn't matter so much.
  • Troutrouter1968
    Troutrouter1968 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I don't have a set time, but once I go to bed, I don't get up and snack.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    jodidari wrote: »
    I don't eat after 7. I've read that you should stop eating 3-4 hours before bed and seeing that I'm an early sleeper this works for me. What about you? Do you stop eating after a certain time or do you eat as you need to?

It makes absolutely no difference when you eat. Your body treats the food the same. It's all about how many calories your consume. The eating before sleeping thing is a fallacy at least as far as weight lose goes.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I use to religiously observe an eating cutoff (about 7- basically nothing after dinner) because of an acid reflux problem before I even began on MFP. I firmly believe it prevented my weight from getting any further out of control than it already was. Now I've lost 30lbs- no more acid reflux!- and I'm not quite as strict about it, but I still sleep better on an empty stomach. I have friends (real life) that have lost substantial amounts of weight just from observing an eating cut-off alone, but of course that has to be because it reduced their calorie intake. So I feel it's a healthy habit, but not strictly necessary.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I agree that it can be useful for weight loss for some. Personally, I wouldn't like it. I like to eat at night and I'm rarely hungry in the morning so I usually put off eating until I'm really hungry, which is usually around 2:00-2:30 p.m. While it's not a "rule" and I do eat earlier if I'm hungry it's a similar concept.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I'll join the I don't eat while sleeping group. I typically don't eat anything within an hour of going to sleep, but that is more due to eating all of my calories for the day or not particularly wanting anything.

I'm personally waiting for the sleep eater to show up and say never!

I don't eat while I'm sleeping, but I have very, very rarely woken up hungry, gone and gotten a snack, and then went back to bed. That could technically be at any time until my alarm goes off, so I'll say 'Never'.
  • the_nerdgasm
    the_nerdgasm Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Usually after dinner. It's not intentional, I'm just usually not hungry between the time I finish eating dinner and the time I go to bed.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I don't eat after 7. I've read that you should stop eating 3-4 hours before bed and seeing that I'm an early sleeper this works for me. What about you? Do you stop eating after a certain time or do you eat as you need to?

It makes absolutely no difference when you eat. Your body treats the food the same. It's all about how many calories your consume. The eating before sleeping thing is a fallacy at least as far as weight lose goes.

Yep. Only reasons to stop eating early are if having food in your stomach when you go to bed disturbs your sleep (including causing acid reflux), or if you tend to overeat if you eat late.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

For me, meal timing is about acid reflux.

Unless you have medical issues, or unless a time frame is a method of calorie reduction....there is no need to stop eating at a certain time.

Some people use intermittent fasting where they have an eating window....say 16:8. A shorter 8 hour window aids in calorie reduction.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    I use to religiously observe an eating cutoff (about 7- basically nothing after dinner) because of an acid reflux problem before I even began on MFP. I firmly believe it prevented my weight from getting any further out of control than it already was. Now I've lost 30lbs- no more acid reflux!- and I'm not quite as strict about it, but I still sleep better on an empty stomach. I have friends (real life) that have lost substantial amounts of weight just from observing an eating cut-off alone, but of course that has to be because it reduced their calorie intake. So I feel it's a healthy habit, but not strictly necessary.

Yeah!
  • cocates
    cocates Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I don't have a particular timeframe on when I stop eating at night. I can understand for some how that would help prevent them from mindless snacking while watching t.v. (which is my perception of what most people do).

For me, it would feel like a restriction, like it's off-limits. I don't like that feeling, so I'd rebel and it would lead to binge eating.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I'm not even home from work at 7. I don't eat after I've gone to bed.
  • revolucia78
    revolucia78 Posts: 196 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I sometimes eat really late - I get off work late and by the time I get home, cook and eat it's already 8-9. Then I go to the gym and don't usually get back until about 11, sometimes close to 12 then I shower, fall asleep. On days I don't work out, I'm usually eating then falling asleep because I also get up at about 5.

I tried doing the opposite and was eating dinner and then falling right asleep - so either way, there's no set time for me.

I will say that when I wake up I will feel better/worse depending on what I ate the night before. I actually prefer to sleep on an emptier stomach but it's not an option with my work schedule.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    when i was little, my mom would say "kitchen is closed!" after she had cleaned the kitchen after dinner. we couldn't even go in there after that. so i'm kind of the same way now in my own home. once we eat dinner and i clean the kitchen, the light goes out and i don't go back in there. if i were really hungry, i would go get something, but that hasn't happened in a very long time.