Way to much fruit

Options
Can eating to much fruit hurt a person in anyway. I only eat fresh fruit and up to 8 servings a day is that ok.

Replies

• ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring and logging the fruit?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    You only eat fresh fruit? Well, you're missing out on all the nutrition found in non-fruit foods. That can't be good for you.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I love fruit but a year or so ago I had asked one of our fitness center managers why I couldn't seem to get rid of the belly / belly bloat no matter what I did. When I shared my diary with her she replied with just one statement: "Wow, you eat a ton of fruit".
  • tayloralanj
    tayloralanj Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    You are what you eat, so obviously if you eat too much fruit you are one. Does that make sense?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Fruits make great snacks, but I think you'd benefit more from weighing your fruit than what you have listed in your diary, like "1 medium apple". How much is a medium apple? All apples vary and my version of a medium apple would be different from yours. You may end up with eating more calories in fruit than you're intending to or think you are.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    If you are either a. eating enough of it to put you over maintenance, therefore you gain weight, or b. you eat so much you aren't hungry for anything else, depriving yourself of other important nutrients (mostly fat and protein), or c. suffer from an illness that requires you to watch your carb/sugar intake
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    You only eat fresh fruit? Well, you're missing out on all the nutrition found in non-fruit foods. That can't be good for you.

I thought that, but then realized maybe the OP means only fresh as opposed to frozen/juice/canned etc so I am hoping that's what they mean lol
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Can eating to much fruit hurt a person in anyway. I only eat fresh fruit and up to 8 servings a day is that ok.

Too much of anything can hurt you. When you say you "only eat fresh fruit" do you mean all the fruit you eat is fresh, or that you eat nothing else except for fruit. I'm guessing/hoping it's the former.

I doubt 8 servings of fruit a day is dangerous in and of itself, but the real question becomes are you eating enough of other foods to create a well balanced diet?
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    You are what you eat, so obviously if you eat too much fruit you are one. Does that make sense?

lol @ this
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    When you say you only eat fresh fruit, do you mean you only eat fresh as opposed to canned, frozen, dried etc. fruit, or do you mean you only eat fresh fruit as opposed to meat, vegetables, grains, nuts, dairy, seeds etc.?
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    OP's diary is open. Looks like she means fresh fruit as opposed to frozen as there are other types of foods logged.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The Canada Food Guide recommends 7-8 servings of fruit and vegetables a day for a woman my age. Do you eat other things, such as foods with protein?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If you're not eating anything but fruit, then that will become a problem. If you're eating fruit along with other healthy foods to create a well-balanced diet, then fruit isn't going to be a problem.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Its only an issue for you if you can't get enough of other nutrients such as protein.
  • maggiemay22467
    maggiemay22467 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I do eat other foods, I am big on protien and I like vegs. My fruit is with each meal and about three snacks. I should have said I eat more like 5-8 servings a day.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Fruit is an excellent source of many micro-nutrients. It is high in fiber, natural sugars, and carbs. If you have no health problems that would be aggravated by these, and are getting your other macros from a balanced diet, keeping within your calorie goal, eat and enjoy those fruits.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I do eat other foods, I am big on protien and I like vegs. My fruit is with each meal and about three snacks. I should have said I eat more like 5-8 servings a day.

Well then, you're golden. Are you reaching your goals?

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    If you weigh your fruit with a food scale, you should be good as long as it doesn't interfere with getting enough protein and fat in your diet as well.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    The Canada Food Guide recommends 7-8 servings of fruit and vegetables a day for a woman my age. Do you eat other things, such as foods with protein?

There's a big difference between 8 servings of fruit and 8 servings of fruit and veg, though. It's not ideal to eat fruit instead of veg or to get all those servings from fruit.

That said, if OP is staying within a reasonable calorie range and eating an overall balanced diet (including veg), I see no harm in eating lots and lot of fruit.