Diet vs exercise

Options
124»

Replies

• Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends upon the person. If you know you're not going to continue an exercise routine then I don't think you should count on one to lose weight. There's no point in starting something that you're not going to continue to do forever. That's why I just walk. I count my steps via Fitbit just to get me to move a little more but that's it. Everything else is just diet. My form of exercise is taking the stairs or taking my dog out for a walk... Or walking the shopping mall with my daughter. I'm just trying to be more active without a set workout routine.
  • Jbarbo01
    Jbarbo01 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Diet all day, I lost 40 lbs without doing any sort of exercise. Exercise makes eating low calories a little more manageable for some people. For me, exercise makes it harder. You will look better at the end with exercise and diet though.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I always liked the phrase "Diet to look better in clothes, exercise to look better naked" - yes, you can lose "weight" (fat+muscle) by diet alone, but exercising and retaining lean muscle (losing mostly fat) is what most people actually WANT to look like. Just dieting made me look like I melted - all my skin just hanging there, flat butt, skeletal shoulders, etc. Adding/retaining muscle made my arms shapely, butt round, hips curved just right etc. I can hide some of the "melted" look (aka "skinny fat") by dressing a certain way , but there is no hiding that when naked!

I also figured out that I will lose exactly the same amount of weight (sometimes more), by eating 2000 calories and burning 2500 calories a day (TDEE, after exercise) as I would by eating 1000 calories and burning 1500 calories a day (sitting on my *kitten*). I like to eat. So I can eat double the amount by just getting my butt in gear, walking/running every chance I get, and exercising. Plus my mood is way better, I am too busy to think about food so its easier to stay in my (bigger) allowance or even under some days, I have more fun and in general am just more pleasant to be around. I also "feel" better - no aches, pains, fatigue, weakness (from lack of food=calories=energy!). I feel "alive".

So for me, both :)
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    You are not going to get a tone looking body without exercise.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    ashleyminc wrote: »
    Seems like most people have most success with diet. I honestly find it easier to eat a low calorie , under 1200 calories, under 50-70 carbs per day, and little exercise to be able to lose/maintain. Any more calories and I gain! It's so hard to keep my weight down. For reference. I'm 5'4 usually at 135lbs. I carry my weight evenly and gain muscle quickly.

Why do you eat so few calories with only 18 lbs. to lose? And you add exercise to that?

• N200lz
    N200lz Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Diet - losing weight
    Exercise - improve fitness
    Write down goals - Accomplish both
  • shaynataggart
    shaynataggart Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    My GP always preaches 80% diet, 20% exercise. Diet creates a deficit of calories and exercise increases it. You must have a clean, structured diet to succeed in weight loss.
  • shaynataggart
    shaynataggart Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Plus exercise sculpts your body and makes it stronger
  • SteveMFP123
    SteveMFP123 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Diet is 90% of the battle.