Stubbon tummy and hip area

Options
Can anyone give me any advice on how to lose weight from my tummy and hip area please. And also how to tone those areas too.
Also any tips on what and what not to eat to help with this and what machines at the gym could also help etc.
Thanks

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Sorry, you can't spot reduce. We don't get to pick and choose where our bodies store fat, that's determined by our genetics. Specific exercises don't help because exercising works your muscles, not your fat. At worst, exercising a specific area, while eating at a caloric surplus, would cause those areas to get larger, not smaller. At best, while eating at a caloric deficit, it will have little effect other than helping to reduce your overall body fat.

There are no specific foods to eat or not to eat. Just eat less calories than your body burns. You'll need to just work on reducing your overall body fat percentage and those areas you want to shrink eventually will. I'd highly suggest an overall strength training program while you eat less calories than you burn each day to help you do just that.

• Lord007
    Lord007 Posts: 338 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Unfortunately, as stated by SueinAz, you can't eliminate fat in a specific area while ignoring it in others (not without surgery). The fat comes off in the reverse order that it went on. So if it went on your hips and tummy first... Those unwanted areas didn't get that way overnight so you shouldn't expect them to come off overnight either. I don't want to discourage you; quite the contrary. If you're serious about this, you should have realistic expectations. That, as much as anything else, will keep you on course to your goal.
    As to the exercises, weight lifting will help maintain and build muscle. IF you follow the proper form and are at a reasonably strenous level, the muscle you build will help you burn fat longer (1 lb of muscle burns 6 calories at rest versus 1 lb of fat.) Try to be active and do some sort of exercise 60 minutes a day 5-6 days week.
    Lastly regarding what to eat; focus on lots of vegetables, lean proteins, and low fat.
    I hope this helps. Feel free to send me a friend request, if you like. :)
    In case you're wondering.. there is a way to accomplish this and still enjoy your Cadbury.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Machines can be to mechanical and not give you natural full range as with free weights. The cable options on machines are the best option over fixed range.

Compound lifting programs can give one the most bang for their buck as far as gaining strength and working the whole body in less time. But, if you don't have access to free weights, you can do body weight circuits and progress to single leg/arm.

The best machine in my gym is my own body. For me it is all about practicing good form and trying to lift a little bit heavier over time.
    I like to mix in cardio or circuit training to help with agility/speed/endurance.

As far as getting your abs ready for gym-selfies? Try a session of compound lifts. The sweat may glisten in all the right places ;).