how to keep logging and stay motivated

Options
Hi All, I got to a good weight (not my target tho) around 6 months ago and then I feel off my mo-jo of logging and staying focused. I got a new job which was horrible but luckily I am now in a great job which is looking a lot lot better. Over this time I have only put on around 5lbs which is a miracle as I have stopped logging and running during this 6 months. I have gone from logging and feeling and looking good .. to not logging... how do you guys keep logging? how do you keep with the programme? I can see I was better when I was logging .. I feel a bit lost and disconnected with re-starting and reconnecting with MFP friends who kept logging all this time.xxx

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I am now in my 229 consecutive day of logging. Nov 1 will be 365 days on MFP for me.

I made a commitment to log in every day back in Feb. Plus my husband does not log food and is still loosing weight. So this logging thing keeps me at my maintenance and I can keep him going as well on his weigh loss journey (so that helps).

I know there will be one day when I will stop logging. I still have fitness goals and even other changes within lifting weights to keep my body transitioning from just weight loss to a firmer more defined better me..

Right now I am not ready to let loose of the reigns..
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I basically created healthy, sustainable habits when I was losing. Even though I'm maintaining, mentally I still go at it as if I am losing weight.

Looking at old photos keep me going. Also comparing myself to the way I felt when I was overweight compared to now...I just can't go back to my old self.

Lastly I create new fitness goals and try new workouts to shake up my routine from time to time.

I'm at day 794 and logging on here. Chatting on my feeds and with the great friends I've made on here daily helps me so much to stay on track as well.

Good luck to you with getting back on track!

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I've been logging 3 1/2 years apart from when away on holidays....I've taken a few logging breaks but it's a habit now to log, it takes a few minutes a day and let's me keep an eye on macros.

I've been maintaining my goal weight for 2+ years.

Now I focus on moving more and building strength.

I currently doing a recomp which will take the guts of a year for me to see full progress but I'm liking what I see already :smile:

I'll do what it takes to ensure I don't gain weight again. I like being slim too much :smile:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I just do it. It's a habit now. I know if I stop, I'll gain, so I just don't stop.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    I jump on and off logging. I would say: just pick up right where you are. Don't overthink it. There's no pressure to reconnect with MFP friends - they're doing their thing. They'll be happy to see you're back.

• maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I am back logging after taking a few weeks off. I know logging is not going to be a rest of my life thing. I think it will be a "reality check" situation for me - dropping in to log. We'll see.
  • Ruth1212
    Ruth1212 Posts: 6,326 Member
    Options
    I don't log every day, but I do weigh myself every day. I use the Happy Scale app. And I use the ten day average to monitor my weight. I have an upper weight that I try to stay under. If my 10 day average Goes above that weight then I start logging again.

I weigh all my ingredients in my morning smoothie every day. And I measure out the creamer in my coffee. I know the "right " amounts for these items so I try and make sure I am on target with those. Creamer and loading up my smoothie are a few things that easily get away from me and lead to a higher calorie day. For lunch and dinner I try to make reasonable choices with good portion sizes.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    It's just a habit to me. I eat. I log. It helps to do it on a cell phone. If I wait, it makes it harder. I've had times when I log meticulously and times when I just log. But it does help me keep on track.

I also weigh myself every morning after I go to the bathroom. It just keeps things on track.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Logging and being motivated are two separate things. Tracking your food is just one tool.

With such a small surplus over 6 months just a tiny change in routine would reverse that.
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    Hi All, I got to a good weight (not my target tho) around 6 months ago and then I feel off my mo-jo of logging and staying focused. I got a new job which was horrible but luckily I am now in a great job which is looking a lot lot better. Over this time I have only put on around 5lbs which is a miracle as I have stopped logging and running during this 6 months. I have gone from logging and feeling and looking good .. to not logging... how do you guys keep logging? how do you keep with the programme? I can see I was better when I was logging .. I feel a bit lost and disconnected with re-starting and reconnecting with MFP friends who kept logging all this time.xxx

I think in order for logging to be less of a burden you have to change your mind set about it.

My perspective is not that I'm on any sort of a "program" or this (logging) is a temporary 'thing' that I have to endure to get to goal X.

For me logging is a vital tool that I have consciously & purposely incorporated as a seamless part of my healthy lifestyle.

Logging food is part of my food prep. ie. While I cut up veggies for the week I'm pre-portioning them out. No different from peeling a potato then washing it before tossing it into the pot.

Also use as many of MFP shortcut features to expedite the food logging process. ie. Save combination items to MEALS so the next time an entire meal is added within two clicks. Use the UPC scan bar whenever possible instead of searching for the item in the database. These little times savers have made logging much easier for the long term.

And lastly logging is just like any other habit ... whether a good one or a bad one. Initially it made take conscious effort but consistency will hopefully eventually make it automatic like putting on a seatbelt in the car.

And as some posters has mentioned, long term logging isn't for everyone. Some maintainers are able to regain their internal portion calculator and is perfectly fine without logging. But I'm one of those people who is fully aware that my internal portion calculator remains quite distorted so I will probably be a MFP logging lifer and I'm perfectly okay with that.

You kinda need to just sit down and figure out what is going to work for you.

Good luck!

• patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I remind myself how I looked like/ felt when I was overweight and was not showing any respect to my health and my family
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I started maintenance about a year ago and stopped logging after a few months. It was just too intense with everything else going on in my life. I did and do weigh every day, so I know I've put on between 5-10 lbs from where I want to be over the year. I see no problem with using the logging tool when I feel I need to - right now, I'm working to get back and also lose the last 10 lbs before I hit my target (I took a break to let my body get used to the new me), so I'm logging, but it's more than likely I'll step away from logging a few months after I reach target. It's a balance for me.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    rainbow198 wrote: »
    I'm at day 794 and logging on here. Chatting on my feeds and with the great friends I've made on here daily helps me so much to stay on track as well.

Good luck to you with getting back on track!

• katekams
    katekams Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I stay motivated by measuring my weight at least 4 times per week. If I'm getting closer to 60kg I start to log again or go for a gym more often or anything that would bust my motivation. For example I bought Mi Band yesterday to motivate myself with this new toy for a longer period of time. Do whatever it takes to make fun out of maintaining, try new things and so on. All I keep just the same all the time is my wish to be healthy, to take care of myself the best way I can.
    As for maintainance someone once said (I can't recall who) that no diet really works. Thay only works while you go by them. And because you can't go by them whole your life that's where the yo yo efect comes from.
    So I thought about what he said and came to obvious conclusion that you just have to go from one idea to live healthy to another. Life is fluent and everyone need new intresting things from time to time.
    So my recipe for maintainance is change (change your rutine from time to time to not bore yourself to deaf :smile: )