Advice from fryers!

Options
Mosiak
Mosiak Posts: 41 Member
Hey guys n' gals,

I love fried fresh fish, so much, I eat a lot of fried haddock and cod. I've always pan fried my fish or fishballs in olive oil, but now that I'm on this weight loss journey should I be frying in something else? I of course don't eat majority of the oil that goes into the pan when I fry but some does still absorb into my fish, I also drain my fish when I take it out of the pan to get most of the frying oil off it. so I guess maybe I consume a table spoon of olive oil or a little less when I fry with it, I fry my supper in oil about twice a week.

Is Olive Oil ok for me to use .. in moderation?

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Olive oil or any oil --they have the same number of calories.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Enjoy!
  • Thowe92
    Thowe92 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Extra Virgin Olive Oil is one of the best cooking oils. You can try looking into using coconut oil/butter for some new flavor to expirement with.
  • Mosiak
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I feel better about using olive oil for frying now :P
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I would use canola oil over olive oil. Olive oil has a very low smoking point, which makes it burn quite easily. Canola oil and coconut oil can stand up to greater heat.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    OP, you're a grown up and don't need our approval to eat whatever you please, but Yes, of course it's okay to use oil, if you want to do that. Just measure it and log it. :)
    Thowe92 wrote: »
    Extra Virgin Olive Oil is one of the best cooking oils. You can try looking into using coconut oil/butter for some new flavor to expirement with.
    Extra virgin isn't that great for frying. The flavor disappears in that heat. You're better off with regular olive oil for frying, but as someone pointed out, it does have a lowish smoke point.

• Mosiak
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    OP, you're a grown up and don't need our approval to eat whatever you please, but Yes, of course it's okay to use oil, if you want to do that. Just measure it and log it. :)
    Thowe92 wrote: »
    Extra virgin isn't that great for frying. The flavor disappears in that heat. You're better off with regular olive oil for frying, but as someone pointed out, it does have a lowish smoke point.

I wasn't really asking for approval, and yes I am a grown up, but that does not mean I know how to cook healthy, if there was a = between being grown up and knowing how to be healthy there would be no obese ppl :P