Zone diet?

Options
has anyone heard of the zone diet? I have my macros set at 40 carbs 30 fat 30 protein I'm working my way up to maintenance. I didn't realise this was called the zone diet until I read up on it. Just wondered if anyone else macros are set this way? I have my protein set to 1g/lb body weight I know some will say it's too much but it's what I've been consuming since I started and I've had no problems 30% .. The carbs and fat however I'm not sure if I just set my macros and this is kind of how they fell after using a macro calculator. I didn't want to go over 30% for fat so that left me with 40% for carbs. Just wondered if anyone else has their macros set this way and has it worked or not been so good etc.

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    It's a lot of protein but not so much as to be a problem unless you have some medical issue.

If that ratio works for you, it doesn't look like there's any reason to change it.
  • Samm471
    Samm471 Posts: 432 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    It's a lot of protein but not so much as to be a problem unless you have some medical issue.

If that ratio works for you, it doesn't look like there's any reason to change it.

Well I did have my carbs higher at one point and fat lower .. I've only had them set for about 2 weeks so hard to tell if it's any good but just wondered if maybe I'm better lowering fat and upping carbs or vice versa. I read somewhere that it's a good idea if you have carbs set high to have fat lower and if your fat is high to have carbs lower but I don't know
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Well, imo, you want a certain amount of protein, so upping fat or carbs requires a drop in the other for the same calorie level. That's just how it had to work, math-wise.

Really, though, if you're getting enough protein for your goals -- you are -- and enough fat -- 30% will probably do it, depending on body weight and calorie goal -- whatever you choose should be fine.
  • Samm471
    Options
    Well, imo, you want a certain amount of protein, so upping fat or carbs requires a drop in the other for the same calorie level. That's just how it had to work, math-wise.

Really, though, if you're getting enough protein for your goals -- you are -- and enough fat -- 30% will probably do it, depending on body weight and calorie goal -- whatever you choose should be fine.

Okay thanks :)
  • alwaysvegan
    alwaysvegan Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Zone diet - blast from the past! I was into Zone ratios (also incorporated menus from the Zone recipe book) and lost a lot of weight. I also didn't feel strong hunger at that time. Might have to dig out my old books. :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Lol, I didn't realize these were the Zone diet ratios. I started with the MFP default, but realized that more protein and less carbs is more satisfying for me so shoot for 40 carbs 30 fat 30 protein.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Lower carbs, moderate protein, and raise fat.
  • Samm471
    Options
    Zone diet - blast from the past! I was into Zone ratios (also incorporated menus from the Zone recipe book) and lost a lot of weight. I also didn't feel strong hunger at that time. Might have to dig out my old books. :)

It seems to be going okay so far well I'm only 2 weeks in but it's good to get a level balance of each macro :)
  • Samm471
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Lol, I didn't realize these were the Zone diet ratios. I started with the MFP default, but realized that more protein and less carbs is more satisfying for me so shoot for 40 carbs 30 fat 30 protein.

I didn't either to start with until I looked about on the web and came across it. I was already eating 40/30/30 when I came across it but it seems okay I just wasn't sure if I had to have carbs or fat higher than the other significantly but I'm guessing not really
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've had my macros set at 40/30/30 from the get go. No problems here.
  • Samm471
    Options
    I've had my macros set at 40/30/30 from the get go. No problems here.

Awesome I have nothing to worry about then :)