Big goals vs. Little goals

Options
Which do you use? One, both, neither? What kind of goal-setting works for you, and why?
I am usually a 'big goal' person, but am thinking of working some little interim goals into my process. What say you?

Replies

• tashatashae
    tashatashae Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    small ones. more to celebrate. each milestone is closer to the ultimate goal keeps me motivated..
  • Tiffanyh2393
    Tiffanyh2393 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I used to be more focused on the "big goal" , but got disappointed when i didn't reach my goal. Now i'm trying a combination of small "reasonable" goals and big "overall" goals. So i have set small goals such as going an extra minute on the bike each day and eating less flattening foods. So far I've lost weight so it's working :) I would say use both so you can have a balance of "small victories" and "big achievements".
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I do a little of both, I have the big goal of where I ultimately want to end up, but smaller goals to get me there. I also have fitness goals and weight loss goals....big and small for both. When I started losing 100+ pounds was scary, so I broke it down. First few were ever 25#, then it got harder and I changed it to every 10#. Fitness are goals of daily step totals all the way to when I did my first triathlon. Now I am working on getting stronger and have lifting goals. I am looking for another fitness goal, I'm having problems coming up with a new one.
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I made big goals that were a sequence of smaller goals, as any good project should be broken down into.
  • Melgibbs
    Melgibbs Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Right now I have my main goal of reaching 110 pounds for a total loss of 100 pounds. I have a mini goal set for losing 10 pounds and then will celebrate every 10 pounds gone. I feel we respond better at feeling like we achieved something if we set small goad song the way it can restore motivation.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Definitely both. 10 lbs at a time, and my total goal of 100 lbs. Every big goal really consists of a series of steps to be taken. You cannot leap across a large chasm and hope to make it. One day, one week, one pound at a time. If you fall down, pick yourself up and try again. The most important thing is to keep moving forward :smile: