STOP saying "Diet"!!!

Options

Replies

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    I'm dieting. Eating at a deficit isn't a lifestyle. Sorry to be contrary but diet is a perfectly good word while lifestyle change is... not. :)

You do understand that you will forever have to eat less than what you did before otherwise you will simply regain the weight? So in effect you will have to change your lifestyle and eat less than you did before even when you reach your goal weight.

I don't look at it that way. I put on the weight during a time of crisis which I dealt with by overeating. Prior to that I was a normal BMI and I have maintained this higher weight for years, so I haven't been eating an insane amount of food that I am going to miss when I reach my goal weight. In fact, maintenance of my new weight, especially with daily exercise, shouldn't be that far off from what I was eating when fat. So I am not really changing my lifestyle at all. I'll have to be cognizant of letting weight creep back on but it's not like I will be eating far less than I was before.
  • sammiewammie444
    sammiewammie444 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    I'm dieting. Eating at a deficit isn't a lifestyle. Sorry to be contrary but diet is a perfectly good word while lifestyle change is... not. :)

You do understand that you will forever have to eat less than what you did before otherwise you will simply regain the weight? So in effect you will have to change your lifestyle and eat less than you did before even when you reach your goal weight.

if you are eating less then you will continue to loose weight. so when you have reached your goal weight you can start eating more and you should stay the same weight as long as you dont go over the recommended daily allowance. im eating 1200 cals, but when i reach my goal weight i will be able to eat upto 2000 again. if i carried on eating 1200 id never stop losing weight! so i dont get how your theory would work?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    SueInAz wrote: »
    maidentl wrote: »
    Well, I don't plan to restrict my calories forever, so I'm on a diet. I guess I don't understand why people get so hung up on a word.

Because failing to restrict one's calories over the long term usually results in gaining back what you lost in the short term.

Diet as I use it is a noun, never a verb.

You plan to eat less than you burn for the rest of your life? At some point you will need to stop and maintain your loss, don't you think?

+1
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    if you are eating less then you will continue to loose weight. so when you have reached your goal weight you can start eating more and you should stay the same weight as long as you dont go over the recommended daily allowance. im eating 1200 cals, but when i reach my goal weight i will be able to eat upto 2000 again. if i carried on eating 1200 id never stop losing weight! so i dont get how your theory would work?

You are correct. What @Bshmerlie meant, I think, is that if you go back to the amount you ate when you were gaining the weight that you came here to lose, you'll be eating over maintenance, and thus gain weight.

For that matter, even if you eat at what was maintenance for your original weight, you'll gain weight. What was maintenance for me when I weighed 225 lb. is way too much now that I'm at 148.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I started gaining weight when I was about the weight I am now. I'd been maintaining for a while but abruptly (for various reasons) became sedentary and did not adjust my amounts, so I gained a bunch probably eating what is around maintenance for me now (since I'm pretty active).

In any case, there's a distinction between figuring out how to eat in a way that will allow you to maintain -- whether that's a change of diet, being more conscious of portion size or whatever -- and "dieting". For me the former wasn't especially a change of diet, but it was various ways of controlling the amount I eat in a day. And I also dieted, as in consciously chose to eat at a deficit. I plan not to do that always (in fact I haven't been for the last several months).
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I don't care to say "dieting", anymore than I care for when people say they're on a "journey". I'm not a Hobbit eating lettuce.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I eat, therefore I have a diet.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    bwogilvie wrote: »

You are correct. What @Bshmerlie meant, I think, is that if you go back to the amount you ate when you were gaining the weight that you came here to lose, you'll be eating over maintenance, and thus gain weight.

For that matter, even if you eat at what was maintenance for your original weight, you'll gain weight. What was maintenance for me when I weighed 225 lb. is way too much now that I'm at 148.

Exactly.

If you were 300 pounds and it took you 3000 calories to maintain that weight and now you are 125 pounds and it only requires 1700 to maintain that weight infact you would be eating a significant amount less than what you were eating before. You would never be able to go back to eating 3000 calories. It is simply a numbers game. Or if you exercised like crazy so that you could burn those 3000 calories than that too would be a lifestyle change because now you are exercising like crazy where you did not do that before.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I actually don't understand the "journey" terminology. I didn't feel like I was depriving myself when keeping a calorie deficit (I made sure to eat food I enjoyed), but I also didn't feel like I was going anywhere. I stopped snacking and worked out more and focused on getting back to my old habits of cooking more consistently at home and bringing lunch.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    When friends ask me how I lost weight and kept it off I say, "I eat at a deficit," and the conversation usually ends there.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

That would be the lifestyle change part. You still have to diet to get down to the new weight.
  • Bshmerlie
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

That would be the lifestyle change part. You still have to diet to get down to the new weight.

Ok...so you have to diet to get down to the new weight and you need a lifestyle change to keep it off. Is that fair to say?
  • sammiewammie444
    sammiewammie444 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Fair enough. That does not apply to everyone on a diet though, I only gained weight through pregnancy and I wasn't eating more than I should have. So once I have reached my goal weight I will go back to how I used to eat which was the recommended daily allowance
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I actually don't understand the "journey" terminology. I didn't feel like I was depriving myself when keeping a calorie deficit (I made sure to eat food I enjoyed), but I also didn't feel like I was going anywhere. I stopped snacking and worked out more and focused on getting back to my old habits of cooking more consistently at home and bringing lunch.

I sort of understand it, because I'm reinventing myself in my middle age. In some ways, that does feel like a journey.

I've never exercised. I've always run from my problems instead of facing them head on. (for example)

I've learned a lot about myself throughout this process and in leading up to it. In a way, all of life is a journey, if you want to be lyrical about it. I'm just on a new stretch of it now, maybe?

To me, a lot of this is obviously about more than my weight, though. Others' mileage may vary.
  • Bshmerlie
    Options
    Fair enough. That does not apply to everyone on a diet though, I only gained weight through pregnancy and I wasn't eating more than I should have. So once I have reached my goal weight I will go back to how I used to eat which was the recommended daily allowance

Yes, pregnancy would definately be an exception.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Eh, I say dieting. I've used the term "journey." I really don't care if other people have problems with those terms.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I sort of understand it, because I'm reinventing myself in my middle age. In some ways, that does feel like a journey.

I've never exercised. I've always run from my problems instead of facing them head on. (for example)

I've learned a lot about myself throughout this process and in leading up to it. In a way, all of life is a journey, if you want to be lyrical about it. I'm just on a new stretch of it now, maybe?

To me, a lot of this is obviously about more than my weight, though. Others' mileage may vary.

Yeah, this makes sense and in particular the bit about it being about a lot more than weight.

I think for me it was more about getting back to who I am, how I had been and think I should live my life. But I do get the self-reinvention thing.
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Diet. Its a word. Nothing more.

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I would much rather people stop saying "totes".

Because that's like totes annoying bro
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I would much rather people stop saying "totes".

Because that's like totes annoying bro

I wish people would stop calling me bro. :wink: