Struggling - always hungry!

Options
Hi I'm finding lately that I am always hungry no matter what I eat! Nothing seems to satisfy me. Going to bed hungry really sucks too :(
Does anyone have any tips on how to manage hunger better? Will this phase pass? I already eat a lot of fibre to make sure I'm full but I'm still always hungry. Is tempting me to just binge at night on anything.

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    What is your height and weight? What is your calorie goal?

Your user profile says you only have 13lbs to lose; if you set your goal too aggressively, you may end up with a calorie goal that is too low to be sustainable for you.
  • helenmelon17
    helenmelon17 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 foot 5 and 139lb. I know in comparison to other people I don't have much to lose but I do have a wedding coming up that I need to fit in a dress for.

At the minute I'm on lose 1.5lb a week which is around 1500cal a day which should be enough to eat my fill, but I'm still just really hungry :neutral:
  • bearondiet
    bearondiet Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I was feeling hungry too. I made protein shakes with water & drank up. Protein boosts up metabolism & helps you fill full. Protein shakes are very high in protein compared to the calories.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I once had a nutritionist tell me that at 5'6" and 145 pounds, I should only be aiming to lose a half pound a week. I know that's not a solution if you've got a deadline you're determined to meet, but if you're trying to lose weight that quickly, I think you may just have to deal with being hungry until you get there. I don't recommend that, but you know yourself best. How's your protein intake? It seems to me I'm always hearing people around here talk about how protein fills you up.
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm finding lately that I am always hungry no matter what I eat! Nothing seems to satisfy me. Going to bed hungry really sucks too :(
    Does anyone have any tips on how to manage hunger better? Will this phase pass? I already eat a lot of fibre to make sure I'm full but I'm still always hungry. Is tempting me to just binge at night on anything.

• helenmelon17
    helenmelon17 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I once had a nutritionist tell me that at 5'6" and 145 pounds, I should only be aiming to lose a half pound a week. I know that's not a solution if you've got a deadline you're determined to meet, but if you're trying to lose weight that quickly, I think you may just have to deal with being hungry until you get there. I don't recommend that, but you know yourself best. How's your protein intake? It seems to me I'm always hearing people around here talk about how protein fills you up.

That's probably right yes but I do want to look my best in my dress. To be fair my protein intake probably isn't what it should be. I might start back on my old protein shakes for after workouts to fit some more in.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    More protein, fat, and fiber.
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Hi, well I have a little trick that may help.... Buy some cartons of low sodium chicken broth. I pour 1 1/2 cups into a nice big mug (that I don't drink tea in) and micro till hot. I try to have that in the evening instead of snacking on more food, it's ready so darn fast that you don't have time to think about anything else! you could have a cup as an addition to your meal, but I like it separate. Also, salmon cream cheese is packed with flavor and a little is all you need in some celery sticks which is my fav treat... Something about all that crunchy flavorful chewing really satisfies ! Good luck!
  • FrankWhite27330
    FrankWhite27330 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter tasty and filling
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1200 calories, 5'2" and 129. I'm losing a half pound a week. I'd starve if I tried to go to 1 1/2 loss a week. You're so close to goal no wonder you're hungry. Once the wedding is done slow or maintain. You'll avoid boomerang regain and feel much more satisfied. When is the wedding?
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    If you'r eating complex carbs, vegetables, protein and good fats, you should not feel hungry. I don't know what your diet (meaning what you eat) consists of, but for example, you can eat a donut (not filling) for 400 calories, or you can eat a plate FULL of protein, vegetables and complex carbs, good fats for the same amount of calories. It's all the choices you make. I eat 5 times a day and stay under 1310 calories (unless I workout, then it's around 1400-1450). I'm never hungry. Also, what many people don't realize is that some fruits can make you more hungry; although yes, they're full of vitamins and possibly fiber and other good things. Here are a couple articles:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/473943-why-do-you-feel-hungry-after-eating-fruits/
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3068502/Eating-fruit-make-hungry-sugar-triggers-cravings-experts-warn.html

One way you can stop that hungry feeling when eating fruit is to pair the fruit with protein, like peanut butter or cheese or cottage cheese.

I hope this helps!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Try reducing some of your carbs so that you can add protein, oils, and lots of veggies: cucumbers, asparagus, romaine, kale, yellow squash, broccoli, cauliflower.
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Is this physical hunger or emotional??? What are you feeling, are you "stuffing " emotions? I just finished 6 months of ED rehab. When I'm hungry n shouldn't be I have to feel my feelings n ride it out! Not easy n doesn't always work. If you can get the don't diet live it workbook. Very good!! Gayle Minneapolis
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    More protein, fat, and fiber.

...and fluid/liquid/water