Cumin

Options
MsJulesRenee
MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
Anyone have any ideas for recipes to use cumin? What other spices go with it? I recently started using it on my chicken and I'm obsessed! Sure, I can google it but I want to know any proven recipes that you really like or odd combinations. My ideas so far are with roasted chickpeas and in white bean chili. I'm not a picky eater and have a lot of ethnic grocery stores by me to pick up ingredients that are hard to find in other parts of the US.

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Chiplote, red pepper, black pepper...

You can make fajita seasonings with this...
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Yep. I enjoy it with anything that calls for chili pepper. Just made a great slow-cooker brisket that used cumin with chili pepper, beef bullion granules, black pepper, Worcestershire, and hickory liquid smoke. I bumped up the cumin and the garlic to my tastes. It was pretty spicy, so I might cut the sriracha back to 2TBS for the kids' sake.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/texas-style-barbecued-brisket
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I use it in a dressing that I put on roast vegetable based salads. 1tbs olive oil, 1 tbs honey, cumin, red wine vinegar. Im having it today with roast pumpkin and carrots, chickpeas, tuna and mixed lettuce.
  • MsJulesRenee
    edited October 2015
    Options
    All those sound really good- Thanks for the suggestions. I haven't cooked brisket or even tried it before but I always see it at the grocery store and think about buying it. Fajitas and egg dishes are right up my alley. @oh_happy_day that's an odd combination with the honey! definitely trying that.
  • Melonpaul
    Melonpaul Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Black bean soup
    http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/clean-eating-black-bean-soup/

You'll need a food processor or a blender, unless you like chunky bean soup. But I made this a few weeks ago and it was so good!!!!
  • lizerdbeth
    lizerdbeth Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I use it for homemade taco seasoning when I make taco salad! It goes great with granulated garlic and onion powder, as well as chili powder, cayenne pepper, and black pepper!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Mix it with salt, pepper, red pepper, chili powder and garlic powder. Rub on flank steak. Marinate in red wine, olive oil and soy sauce. Grill. Yum.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    funny you should mention cumin. I just decided to use it in my egg white, ham and cheese burrito and it make the egg white taste amazing. Was looking for a low sodium replacement for the regular seasoning and it work out nicely.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I use it for Spanish, Mexican, Indian, and Moroccan cooking. It's good with the peppers, tomatoes, and curries.
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I use it for Spanish, Mexican, Indian, and Moroccan cooking. It's good with the peppers, tomatoes, and curries.

Same here. Cumin is amazing in 99% of dishes! I love it on roasted butternut squash (toss cumin, salt, pepper, garlic powder and olive oil with squash and roast, turning occasionally).
  • angerelle
    angerelle Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    This is a lovely carrot salad which calls for whole cumin seeds, we usually have it in the summer, with barbecued lamb, but it's fine with main crop carrots too
    http://www.riverford.co.uk/exe/recipes/view/recipe/moroccan-carrot-salad
  • Obnoxa
    Obnoxa Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Pretty much anything "Moroccan" style will let you get your cumin groove on. It pairs really nicely with tumeric as well.
  • magtart
    magtart Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Crispy Spiced Garbanzo Beans https://youtube.com/watch?v=83wiuNHbwE0
  • jonesmarilee19
    jonesmarilee19 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any ideas for recipes to use cumin? What other spices go with it? I recently started using it on my chicken and I'm obsessed! Sure, I can google it but I want to know any proven recipes that you really like or odd combinations. My ideas so far are with roasted chickpeas and in white bean chili. I'm not a picky eater and have a lot of ethnic grocery stores by me to pick up ingredients that are hard to find in other parts of the US.

• jonesmarilee19
    jonesmarilee19 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love cumin in my green veggies like saute cabbage and turnips collard etc.
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I make a Sudanese inspired stew of chickpeas, squash or sweet potato cubes, onions, tomato puree, cumin, cinnamon, garlic...You can add other veggies and adjust seasonings as desired. Good with injera, too. Cumin and oregano are great in Mexican style dishes with beans, peppers, squash, whatever. I love cumin!
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I just baked cod with cumin, ginger, salt, pepper, and butter. Turned out extremely well.
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Yum!
  • MsJulesRenee
    Options
    Oh wow, thanks! Great suggestions :) Looked at all of them and gave me some great ideas