Running & Warm Up

Options
I have tried warm up stretches though find that my legs take forever to warm up and stretches don't seem to do much.. It usually takes 2-3km's of running until my legs and feet feel good. Until then, it's like a dull ache through my ankles. After 2-3k the ache fades away and there are no issues.

Does this happen with anyone else? I always slow down and ease into a walk and then stretch after I stop.

Just wish it didn't last so long at the beginning of each run.

Replies

• cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    a 5 minute walk to run starting point does me.
    warm down stretches and foam rolling critical for me.
    have you tried foam rolling as warm up?
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    this morning I warmed up after 7k! I noticed a 15-20 mins walk works well for me, but unfortunately I don't have time in the morning - the first couple of km are quite annoying, my legs are stiff and quads ache a lot, then it gets better and better
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I have tried foam rolling but it doesn't do much before a run. After a run - different story! I've tried walking before hand though it's not until I start running that I can really feel it. As I said, after the first few km, it eases off I just have to push through it.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    The first 20 minutes of a run are usually the least fun and most effort-demanding for me. After that I generally enjoy myself for a good hour before I start to feel sluggish and tired.
    Beforehand I have a little walk, and do some leg swings/hip circles and I'm ready to go. Afterwards I stretch for a good 5-10 minutes, and I foam roll almost every day anyway.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    It's pretty common. The reason apparently is when you start running from the point your body is at rest the effort is mostly anaerobic and it takes a while to move towards a more aerobic state.

There's not much you can do about it except walk for a short while with some dynamic (not static or foam rolling) stretches before the run or start off at an easy pace until you get into the meat of the run.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    My warmup depends on how warm, cool or cold or it is. I stretch for about 5 - 6 minutes. I actually walk/run on the treadmill (now that it is cool/cold) and then go right outside to my run.

It usually it takes 6 - 10 minutes for my body to warm up 1 degree. The oxygen and blood needs to get pumping and depending on my breathing etc... Once the blood gets going, the muscles will feel less stiff and I can start my pace, shortly thereafter..

I am curious, how cold does everyone run in? I have been running since March so anything less than 55 was new for me (i live in the US, way South, hot and humidity most of the year).. but I really do like the cool runs... :):)
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Sounds normal. As they say, the first mile lies.

I usually start with a brisk walk for a quarter mile, then ease into a run. I always feel like a clod when I start running but in 3/4 to a full mile things start to feel better.
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    138shades wrote: »
    Warm up=walks....nothing else.

Same here. it's a 5 minute walk to the top to an intersection from my subdivision...99% of my training runs start from that point. I always seem to have random stiffness or ache that pops up early and is gone by the first mile.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Sounds normal. As they say, the first mile lies.

I usually start with a brisk walk for a quarter mile, then ease into a run. I always feel like a clod when I start running but in 3/4 to a full mile things start to feel better.

Sounds like me.
  • SpecialKH
    SpecialKH Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Walk briskly, walking lunges and butt-kicks do it for me. I read in Runners Magazine that the newest thought is to NOT do static stretches because you don't want to lengthen stabilizing tendons before you run to avoid injuries from twisting a knee or ankle. So I do some walking lunges and butt kicks then a brisk 5 minute walk.
  • Monroe121
    Monroe121 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I agree with others, do 5 minute walk to warm your legs up. Are you running up hill/down hill or on concrete or anything? My legs act weird, depending on, where I am running.
    kareF wrote: »
    I have tried warm up stretches though find that my legs take forever to warm up and stretches don't seem to do much.. It usually takes 2-3km's of running until my legs and feet feel good. Until then, it's like a dull ache through my ankles. After 2-3k the ache fades away and there are no issues.

Does this happen with anyone else? I always slow down and ease into a walk and then stretch after I stop.

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    SpecialKH wrote: »
    Walk briskly, walking lunges and butt-kicks do it for me. I read in Runners Magazine that the newest thought is to NOT do static stretches because you don't want to lengthen stabilizing tendons before you run to avoid injuries from twisting a knee or ankle. So I do some walking lunges and butt kicks then a brisk 5 minute walk.

Right.

Dynamic stretching prior to a workout and static stretching / foam rolling afterwards.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »

Right.

Dynamic stretching prior to a workout and static stretching / foam rolling afterwards.

yup yup

i do a five min walk-briskly, but all the aches don't go away for a mile or two
  • italysharon
    italysharon Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I read in Runners Magazine that the newest thought is to NOT do static stretches because you don't want to lengthen stabilizing tendons before you run to avoid injuries from twisting a knee or ankle. .

Interesting. Do you have a link to this article? I don't stretch before a run because I never felt it it did anything for me.

...also I don't know the difference between Dynamic stretching and static stretching... Dynamic= walking lunges..? Static= any stretch where you are standing still?

As for the original question, it sounds like that is just the way your body is. My husband can barely walk for about 10-15 minutes when he gets out of bed because his legs and feet are so stiff. He looks like a geriatric getting out of bed and has to walk down the stairs sideways. After that, he is fine and runs long and fast.

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options

...also I don't know the difference between Dynamic stretching and static stretching... Dynamic= walking lunges..? Static= any stretch where you are standing still?

Dynamic stretching is all the stretches that are designed to be done as movement. You might see some runners standing on one leg and swinging the other leg in various ways before a race; that's a form of dynamic stretching. Walking lunges also have a component of dynamic stretching, mostly geared toward the quads and hamstrings.

Static stretching is all the stretches that you hold for a period of time, which might be 10 seconds or 30 seconds or even longer, depending on the stretching regimen you are following. You probably have seen runners standing on one leg and holding the other foot with a hand behind their back; that is a static stretch for the quads.

The common wisdom I've heard is, dynamic stretching before the run and static stretching after the run. I tend to ignore stretches before the run and do them after; that seems to work well for me. Your mileage may vary.

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    My warmup is a few minutes of walking. I stretch after the run while my muscles are warm. This was quite a change for me since I was a gymnast in the 80s and we did nothing but static stretches then. I watched my son doing dynamic stretches before soccer games and did some reading on the benefits including many sports teams reporting a large reduction in muscle injuries since switching.
    gia07 wrote: »
    I am curious, how cold does everyone run in? I have been running since March so anything less than 55 was new for me (i live in the US, way South, hot and humidity most of the year).. but I really do like the cool runs... :):)

I have run in temps just below freezing but they are rare where I am, too. These days lows are in the mid 60s, in the summer it's mostly upper 70s but in a few months they'll regularly be in the 40s and sometimes 30s.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I do a 5 minute brisk warm up walk and a much longer cool down one. I don't really time the cool down walk, I just go until I can walk briskly again for a good while.
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    This is why I found a love for half marathons. The first 3 miles generally suck and then after that it feels easy.
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    @yesimpson Glad to know it's not just me! Hip circles always feel great after my runs but I'll do some of them and leg swings beforehand and see if that helps any. I usually do buttkicks and some lunges before I set off.

@Monroe121 I find that if I run on flat or downhill my legs feel worse for longer, though going uphill seems to stretch everything out and warm up that little bit faster.
    moyer566 wrote: »
    msf74 wrote: »

Right.

yup yup

i do a five min walk-briskly, but all the aches don't go away for a mile or two

So good to know everyone feels it! Thanks for the input!

@italysharon Thanks! I think it is just how my body works. I had a giggle at the geriatric comment though :smile:
    I do a 5 minute brisk warm up walk and a much longer cool down one. I don't really time the cool down walk, I just go until I can walk briskly again for a good while.

I love going for a walk afterwards to stretch out too!
    This is why I found a love for half marathons. The first 3 miles generally suck and then after that it feels easy.

That makes A LOT of sense! I went for a 5k run the other day and felt like it wasn't really worth it considering it took nearly 3k just to feel 'good'.

Just glad though to hear that it's normal and everyone pushes through it too. Was starting to wonder if I was doing something wrong!
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    kareF wrote: »

How's your flexibility in-general? Do you typically feel "tight" which affects your movement or are you modestly limber? You may not need to go through SMR and stretching before you run. Depending on your mobility needs, you may get away with just doing a dynamic warm-up. It could be something like...

Hip Circles front & back for 10 reps each
    Mountain Climbers 10 reps
    X-Band Walks 10 reps (get an exercise band step on it with your feet, pull the band and rotate it so it's like an "X" and walk 10 reps to the left and 10 reps to the right)
    Jumping Jacks 10 reps
    Jump Squats 10 reps

Go run. It truly just depends on the person.