I've become bored and lost with it all

Options
I started this year as the year of the weight loss, this was going to be my year, I started brilliantly and I got down to my lowest ever weight 13st 2lb then I slipped hard after a few events and weeks of not keeping track

the next thing I know it's now October and I'm the heaviest I've been for a long time, 14st 3

I seem to have lost all motivation, I start every Monday thinking I'm going to stick with it but I just seem to be going through the motions and by Friday I've all but given up, some weeks I'll stick with it for the full week and be really pleased then the next week things will slide off again and I'm back to where I started

I know it's up to me to just get on with it and stop being so rubbish but if anyone has any advise that would help I would appreciate it

Replies

• Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    You have to want it enough and when that determination does hit, you have to make the most of it and establish new habits as quickly as you can. That has been my experience any way.

I promised myself almost every month last year to lose 20kg before I turned forty. I just never got started though and never took it seriously and never lost a gram. It took reaching my 40th without having lost the weight to shake me into action. I didn't want a party and I felt miserable. I did not want to be in any pics, but I woke up the next day resolved and immediately began to make changes. I started by just cutting out sodas and extra sugar and only after doing that for a couple of weeks did I discover MFP and I have been pushing forward ever since.

I am not always perfect, but I am very determined and I pick myself up and carry on whenever I fall off track.

I was not ready to do it last year, but this year, when I was, it became easy (relatively speaking).
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    How much are you putting as your target weekly weight loss? Trying starting out with the lowest amount, 0.5lbs a week. If you are trying to reduce your calories to much it might just be to aggressive a loss for you to maintain.
  • sloseph
    sloseph Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I've only got my target set at losing 1lb a week, the thing is I have enough calories most days but I just feel very lazy about counting what I've eaten and keeping track of it all, I'd say the best way to describe it would be to say I feel a bit burned out by it all, I've been tracking for a while but because I've been so inconsistent with it over the past few months it all seems fruitless

this is what I normally with diets, I start well and see great results then I slowly slip until i'm not really trying anymore, then I pick up a new diet and start the cycle all over again, but this time I don't want to start over again, I really like MFP and believe it works, I just need to find a way to get into gear again

I'm aware I am the only one who can motivate myself but I think I just needed to type out how i'm feeling and have a bit of a whinge about it
  • Bunny81s
    Bunny81s Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm I the same boat. I've failed wayyy too many times.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Make part of your daily routine be planning your next day's meals and prelogging them. Then you can just follow the instructions when meal time comes.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    The way I motivated myself was realizing if I didn't turn my weight around I'd just keep gaining and have even more weight to lose as I spiraled into obesity, high blood pressure, diabetes, etc.. I decided I'd rather try to avoid all that and just kick my a** in gear "now". It doesn't get easier with age, just easier to gain and harder to lose. So, you might as well commit to making this weight loss journey your last. Learn how to be in a healthy relationship with food- for the rest of your life.
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    You can't rely on your emotions to see you through this. There will be days it's super boring and way too hard, where you feel like you're trying to draw water from an empty well. You can't see fitness and/or eating well as "something I'll do when it's fun/novel/convenient" you have to treat it as something you're just going to do. This mindset is the reason I'm succeeding when I've failed so many times in the past.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I know I have been doing this lately, especially since hitting my weight loss goal - I kind of just let things slide. Luckily, as I have continued to weigh myself daily, I have not gained any weight back...I find the motivation is just not there!

Some things I find helpful to get me back on track
    1 - Get a new routine. Try a different workout, or a new environment. Different time? Maybe mornings do not work so good for you anymore, try evening workouts?

2 - Find new recipes, and get that fridge FULL of foods. I find I really need this to get back on track and to actually feel like I am going to get back on track. Having all the foods available to me make things less challenging when it comes to meal planning.

3 - Pre Log Your Meals! I find this surprisingly effective. I know I might frustrate my boyfriend when I am asking about supper a full 24 hours in advance, but it really helps to know what I am going to be eating the entire day before that day even arrives.

4 - Look at your progress pictures

5 - Go shopping, find some new items that are a few sizes smaller (or many sizes smaller) - this gives you something to work towards and a good way to measure inches lost.

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    If you're able to exercise, exercise. I find it much easier to be consistent with diet (quantity, quality, either, both) when I am able to work out.

Working out = visible progress towards goals every time you go; meeting goals reinforces your mindset & motivation. Also offers an energy and mood boost, keeps you positive. Also, I find I just want less food, and less crappy food when I can work out.

Otherwise, I feel sluggish and low and find myself wanting more poor-nutrition choices, which usually means I wind up eating more in general.

So I say, pick a new sport to try.
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    For me, I have to have a vision, a goal, something so mouthwatering that I would sacrifice a great deal of things to reach it. Like wanting to own a house, a fine car, huge savings, etc. It starts with a decision to reach that goal. Anything less is a waste of time. In between land is frustrating and actually keeps me from even wanting a goal. So, I say, be in, or be out. Enjoy your food and laziness, or take definite steps towards the opposite. Keep it real!
  • sloseph
    sloseph Posts: 157 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    thank you all for getting back to me with your helpful advise

I think mixing things up a bit will help me, i'm going to try and swap me evening runs to morning ones, I really enjoy running but normally by the end of my working day I've managed to convince myself that I can't run that night, hopefully swapping to prework runs will stop me making excuses

I also like the idea of preplanning meals for the entire week, I think having a set menu of things will be good

I've been in a bit of a rut with my meals recently too which hasn't helped, has anyone got any tips for finding new recipes? when ever i try to look for inspiration online i get overwhelmed by all the options and give up
  • starling01
    starling01 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Do one recipe, not a whole bunch of them.

I work best with small goals, sometimes very small. Use only one tablespoon of the higher calorie coffee creamer this morning. Don't even think about walking/running the extra ten minutes this afternoon until then, then that becomes a goal. Every decision counts. I have to feel like I can do that thing and not get overwhelmed by some huge goal. I can't decide I'm going to clean out ALL the clutter in the house but I can do one drawer. Not all the drawers in the kitchen. One drawer. When it seems really easy, it's not as scary or boring to contemplate the larger task like preplanning a day and then two days, a weekend's basic cooking, it's like, ok, I did that, it wasn't so bad, I wasn't smacking myself in the head and going, OMG I'm so bored this is taking so long I hate this.