Not losing weight on 1000 calories.

Options
13»

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It's been 4 days.
    More importantly, why are you eating only 1000 calories?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    Vossii wrote: »
    the Depo injection does make you gain weight and also is linked to osteoporosis in young women. Not the best form of birth control IMO.

Medication can cause an increase of appetite, it does not make you gain weight. Eating at a surplus makes one gain weight. In this case, it's been 4 days and this would be considered normal daily fluctuation.
  • kikelly
    kikelly Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Vossii wrote: »
    the Depo injection does make you gain weight and also is linked to osteoporosis in young women. Not the best form of birth control IMO.

Medication can cause an increase of appetite, it does not make you gain weight. Eating at a surplus makes one gain weight. In this case, it's been 4 days and this would be considered normal daily fluctuation.

This. I was my lightest weight in the years I was on Depo - I ate right, and was very active. Hormonal BC is not a magic weight gain drug. It can increase appetite.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I'm just picturing OP carrying the baby around, then all of a sudden fainting with him/her in her arms, due to lack of nutrition. Now, after I had mine, I lost quite a bit because I had no appetite after birth, for about 1.5 months, however, it came back right away. If I had stuck with that, along with less sleep, added newborn stress, I would have passed out quite a bit.
  • blaze6106
    blaze6106 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    zoie1313 wrote: »
    I do weigh my food and I really do stick to 1000 cal, some days it been around 800-950 and 1200 cal is the limit. I log every thing, even when I drink black tea of 2cal I log it.
    I was partially breastfeeding for the first month. My baby is perfectly healthy and currently weighs 13lb 4oz. I had the DEPO injection 2 weeks ago and I wondering if that may be anything to do with it? Really appreciate the advice you're all giving me and I will try upping my calorie intake to see if that helps.

You really should try eating more. When you don't eat enough, your body goes into starvation mode, and it makes it hold onto extra fat more. I know it's scary to eat more, but it really is necessary. I'm sure if you asked anyone on this site who has lost a significant amount of weight, everyone will probably say they ate at least in the 1200-1500 range.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    blaze6106 wrote: »
    I do weigh my food and I really do stick to 1000 cal, some days it been around 800-950 and 1200 cal is the limit. I log every thing, even when I drink black tea of 2cal I log it.
    I was partially breastfeeding for the first month. My baby is perfectly healthy and currently weighs 13lb 4oz. I had the DEPO injection 2 weeks ago and I wondering if that may be anything to do with it? Really appreciate the advice you're all giving me and I will try upping my calorie intake to see if that helps.

You really should try eating more. When you don't eat enough, your body goes into starvation mode, and it makes it hold onto extra fat more. I know it's scary to eat more, but it really is necessary. I'm sure if you asked anyone on this site who has lost a significant amount of weight, everyone will probably say they ate at least in the 1200-1500 range.

This is not true at all. It's one of the biggest weight loss myths around.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    Follow the flow chart.
    66wztmw9kc1g.jpg

More than 3 weeks? Yes.

Ok, are you weighing your food?

This is beautiful
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    blaze6106 wrote: »

No it doesn't But her hair will fall out and she'll lose muscle mass (heart is a muscle). Who will take care of the baby?
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options
    When I had my son at 186lbs, I was 141 three/four months later. Losing weight rapidly after giving birth to a normal sized child at term is not abnormal, nor is it necessarily unhealthy. Think about it. Just the day you give birth you lose 8lbs of child, .5-1.5 lbs of amniotic fluid, and a solid 1.5lbs of placenta. Then when you breastfeed and never get any sleep and have to walk your screaming infant around while gently bouncing them up and down for two hours straight (oh yeah, I've gone LONGER), you're gonna see a pretty massive decrease in the actual scale weight.

However.....

1000 cal a day is not at all healthy. At 165 lbs my RMR (resting metabolic rate = just what it costs you in calories to EXIST without doing anything other than sitting there and digesting food) is somewhere between 1245 and 1693. That's how much I would have to consume to JUST BE ALIVE and never even move off the couch. If you are moving around at all, as well as caring for a new infant, probably not getting much sleep, AND you go for walks? I would very seriously question anyone who thought 1000 calories was enough to sustain you without being massively unhealthy and possibly dangerous.

You need to find out what your BMR (basal metabolic rate, which is more accurate for weight loss purposes as far as I've ever read/seen) is and get a projected deficit from that. At 176 lbs where I started, I cut down to 1200/day and I eat back my exercise calories and I've only lost 14 lbs, but I've been feeling good and seen other healthy-lifestyle related benefits as well. This is not "The Biggest Loser". This is your life, health, and safety, and part of that is your BABY's safety. I tend to agree that you're probably consuming more calories/ burning less than you think, but if you're not, what happens if you pass out from exhaustion (it's more common than you think in weight loss journey's gone wrong!) and your baby is in your arms? Or the bathtub? Or you're just alone in the house with her?

Reassess what's going on with your weight loss attempt, and for the sake of your own health and the safety of your very helpless infant, try to make HEALTH your biggest priority, and not numbers on a probably not real accurate scale.
  • beckygammon
    beckygammon Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You need to eat a lot more than you are eating. Your body's hormone levels that prompt weight loss drop when you are in a calorie deficit, the higher the deficit the more they drop. Thus the need for refeed days/cheat meals to raise your hormone levels and reset the metabolism. Also if your calories are that low (which in Australia is below the amount of calories that a women of any size should be eating) when you plateau which often happens when losing weight, what are going to change? Drop to 800 calories? Walk for an extra hour? In the case of weight loss it is a marathon, not a sprint, so you need to eat more, definitely. Breast feeding (if you are) uses a lot of calories, plus you are exercising, and looking after you new bundle of joy, :wink: I promise if you eat more, the weight will come off. :smile:
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options
    Oh, also, I have been known to weigh 162 first thing in the morning after peeing (sorry eww, but it does count), and being right back up to 167 just before I hop into bed.

So aside from 1000 not being safe, you're probably just experiencing that.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,126 Member
    Options
    clgaram720 wrote: »
    Oh, also, I have been known to weigh 162 first thing in the morning after peeing (sorry eww, but it does count), and being right back up to 167 just before I hop into bed.

So aside from 1000 not being safe, you're probably just experiencing that.

You weigh 167 because during the day you have consumed food and liquids 5 pounds of which are still in your system. By morning a bunch of fluid has been released through the moisture that comes out when you are breathing and through perspiration, the food has digested, some given off as heat, and if you are like many people, you go to the washroom in the morning getting rid of some more of that weight. Weighing more than once a day doesn't really tell you anything except that you have consumed food and drink which weighs something.