Gaining 2-4lbs a week. Why?

Options
I recently threw my back out in the gym. During that 2-4 week recovery period I ate somewhat off my diet and did cardio on a bike when I was feeling well.

Now that my back has recovered, I have started boxing (30 min) and synergy (30 mins) for a total of 1 hour of gym activity per day, 5 days a week.

I have a cheat day on Sunday.

Regardless of what I eat now, I am gaining weight fast. Clothes are somewhat tight. My face is bloating. Blood work came back perfect.

Am I gaining muscle and retaining water? I stepped on the scale and saw a number I have seen in years. I'm very concerned.

Please help!

Replies

• toughmudderMN
    toughmudderMN Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Without seeing your food diary I would say water retention.
  • sscarmack
    sscarmack Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Do you have a cheat day or a cheat meal?

If its a cheat day, I think we found your problem.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    To gain actual 4 pounds of weight in a week you would have to eaten 14,000 extra calories ... You have not been doing this have you?

I did not think so..

How much have you actually "gained" over all and in what period of time? And how long have you been back to the Synergy and boxing? I would have to know what type of weights you are using for the Synergy to know if there is any muscle building activity going on with this program but...2 - 4 pounds of muscle at a deficit not going to happen.

Curious to know the specifics around all of this...

Overeating anything will cause weight gain and water weight gain if you do this daily/weekly.. btw
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Any change to my routine causes temporary water retention. My concern is the face bloating you mentioned. Maybe you should talk to your doctor. Do they have you on any medications? I can tell you I gained 20lbs over a matter of weeks due to meds and as much as I hoped... sadly none of it ended up being water weight.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    How long have you been gaining 2-4 lbs/week? Is it your first week back? If it's your first week back to more intense exercise, then it could be water retention.

As gia07 said, you aren't going to gain 2-4 lbs or muscle at a deficit, and probably wouldn't gain it per week, either if you were eating at maintenance or higher.

So, depending on how long you've been back it could be that you're genuinely over eating.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    How long have you been gaining 2-4 lbs/week?

This is really the only question worth asking at this point. I lose 3-4 pounds between going to bed at night and stepping out of the shower in the morning, so it's really not much weight.

But if you're gaining that much per week for more than 4 weeks or so, there's a problem.

• tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Face bloating = go back to the doctor! Something doesn't sound right here. Are you drinking plenty. Are you having any pain urinating? Don't wanna worry you, but my husband had every symptom you describe (including back pain) for about 6 weeks before he came down with kidney stones and a wicked infection