What could cause you to gain 7 pounds in a week?

Options
incisron
incisron Posts: 550 Member
I thought you had to eat 3,500 calories over maintenance to gain one pound. For me, that would be about 6,000 calories a day. I did fall off the wagon and eat more than I should have, but I'm fairly sure it wasnt to that extent. I only got back on track yesterday and now today it's saying Im down by 1.5 pounds. I'm pretty confused.

Replies

• mommyshortlegs
    mommyshortlegs Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Over the past week did you consume foods high in sodium? This could cause bloat/water retention.
  • incisron
    Options
    Because, before I got back on track, the scale was stuck at my 7 pound gain for two days.
    Also, the 7 pounds I gained were the very 7 pounds I'd lost a few weeks ago, if I was reading the scale correctly - my eyesight is bad, but a couple weeks back it had me at either 228 pounds or 223 pounds, then, over the next couple weeks, it clearly had me at 223, then at 220. Then I gained 7 pounds back. Am I doing something wrong?
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Most like it is water weight and nothing to be concerned about. Just get back on track and that water weight will fall off quickly.
  • incisron
    Options
    I also just got finished with my monthly cycle yesterday. Could that have anything to do with it? Im not trying to make excuses, Im just confused.
    To mommyshort: I tried to figure that out, but I'm not sure. I dont know how much sodium was in the food I was eating; unfortunately, I didnt track.
  • carolgrn
    carolgrn Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Very probably water weight from sodium intake - or monthly cycle - could be both
    Did you weigh at the same time of day each time?
  • incisron
    Options
    Thanks, every1.
    I think I did.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Water. I gained 5 pounds over the weekend, and lost 7 since Monday. Frustrating to see on the scale, but you have to be rational about it and just realize its not fat, its water. Keep doing what you're doing.

http://www.science20.com/everson/blog/how_much_weight_can_you_gain_due_to_water_retention-153063
  • incisron
    Options
    Thanks, every1.
  • carolgrn
    carolgrn Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Water. I gained 5 pounds over the weekend, and lost 7 since Monday. Frustrating to see on the scale, but you have to be rational about it and just realize its not fat, its water. Keep doing what you're doing.

http://www.science20.com/everson/blog/how_much_weight_can_you_gain_due_to_water_retention-153063

Great Info!
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Water retention, stool retention, weighing at different times, scale variance, scale on uneven surface, etc, etc, etc can all impact your weight.

Weight fluctuations due to hormone level with the monthly cycle are common for a large percentage of women of an age to have menstrual cycles.

Just remember it is more important to track changes over longer sets of time ( like month to month trends) rather than day to day fluctuations.
  • KatFru
    KatFru Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    carolgrn wrote: »
    Very probably water weight from sodium intake - or monthly cycle - could be both
    Did you weigh at the same time of day each time?

Exactly what Carol said. Your monthly cycle can add a decent amount of weight. I always like getting on the scale once that time frame has passed haha
  • tristabyers86
    tristabyers86 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    you might want to have your thyroid levels checked. It's a simple blood test that your Primary care doctor can have ordered for you. I had a sudden weight gain, without having any changes in my diet. Sure enough, it was off. Wouldn't hurt to look into.
  • joyThegymmonster777
    Options
    sodium
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Normal fluctuations. Water retention due to increased sodium levels usually.
  • EzRemake
    EzRemake Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I gain 6lbs within 2 hours of ordering a pizza
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,506 Member
    Options
    Wait at least a week (of your normal deficit routine) before you panic. I've been tracking my weight every day (when at home) for something like 10 years now, even when not trying to lose, and marking it on graph paper (X=date, Y=weight. No, I'm not a disordered eater/weigher. I'm a data geek.)

I've gained as much as FIVE POUNDS in one day, even while not putting a deficit day next to a re-feed, and all while menopausal, so TOM was not involved. I guarantee I didn't eat 17,500 calories! Three pounds is not at all unusual.

I've done this long enough to have a pretty good intuitive understanding of what causes this (for my body):
    • Extra salt
    • Under-exercise compared to usual (not weight gain, but water not offloaded because glycogen not used)
      {*}Activity that causes a need for muscle repair (like a new intense workout activity)
    • Weight of food still in my system (especially fiber-dense kinds of things)
    • Water still in my system
    • Extra carb-heavy foods
    • Serious under-sleep (as an aggravator in combination with one or more of the others)
    Fluctuations are normal, even multi-pound ones. If you're not using an app that gives you a weight trend (like Happy Scale, Libra, Trendweight, more), you might want to consider it. Personally, I'm an advocate of daily weighing/recording because it's a useful learning experience, but I understand that it's too stressful for some.
  • thintribe2014
    thintribe2014 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    i can bang on 5 lbs in 1 day eating too much cheese and bacon...sodium..water retention. i hate that..i swear i'll not get on the scales and do anyway,
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    It is easy to "gain weight" by just eating back maintenance calories. When you are on a deficit, your body's glucagon levels are low. When you eat at or above maintenance, it replenishes glucagon levels - up to maybe a pound - and your body needs to retain four pounds of water for each pound of glucagon.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    Honey, I have been known to gain 5 lbs in a SINGLE DAY of water weight depending on cycle. A couple weeks ago I weighed in at 162 in the morning and back up to 167 in the evening before bed. It's not much of a difference over a week. Don't be worried, I'm sure it'll come back down or just continue to fluctuate in a good direction!
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I bounce up and down all the time. You can gain from water or just the weight of the food you consume until it gets digested. I weigh myself daily and track things over time.. You should never get too worried over a few days.. track yourself weeks over weeks.