Meal replacement smoothies, shakes, etc.

Options
boymommy3x
boymommy3x Posts: 36 Member
I am going to start doing meal replacement shakes for breakfast and like...late afternoon so I don't overeat dinner. Looking for some healthy, yummy recipes!

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Why would you do such a thing? Chewing delicious food is such a great and sustainable part of life. Most of those shakes are not satisfying and they end up full of sugar, making you more hungry than you started. The way I avoid overeating at dinner is to not ever let myself get the the point of starving. Mid afternoon, I eat something: a boiled egg, piece of string cheese, a weighed serving of nuts, a piece of fruit.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    It all depends on the balance of things you are looking for. Assuming you want some nutritional balance, there are a load of ways to make smoothies and shakes and vary the nutritional content.

I like using Greek yogurt, banana and/or strawberry, sometimes some peanut butter (or PB2 if you don't want as much fat, and then whatever liquid suits what I want or don't want for more calories/nutrition. The ones I usually make are fairly balanced for standard nutrition needs, and are 500-600 calories. Of course, a smaller person could just make a smaller smoothie.
  • tracoleman99
    tracoleman99 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    1 cup frozen / fresh fruit
    1 scoop protein powder
    1/3 - 1/2 cup kale
    1 Tbsp peanut butter
    1 Tbsp ground flaxseed
    1/2 cup Almond milk

Blend together and viola! I added the peanut butter because I needed it to hold me longer. I was hungry about two hours after I had my protein shake and I needed it to get me through until at least 9:30 a.m. I added the flaxseed because I need more fiber in my diet. Both are optional. The fruit is what makes the flavor right.

I often use a banana. I'll freeze and over-ripe banana and use that in lieu of the cup of frozen fruit. Sometimes I leave out the kale (if there is none in the house). This is my go-to recipe and I love it. If I use frozen peaches and mango, I substitute Orange Juice instead of Almond milk to add flavor.
  • mother_mc
    mother_mc Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    1 cup water
    1 scoop chocolate protein powder
    2 tablespoons PB2
    Dash of pumpkin spice
    Dash of nutmeg
    Dash cinnamon
    1/2 cup cooked pumpkin
    1 k cup chocolate mocha coffee
    2 tablespoons ground chia
    1/4 cup gluten free oatmeal that has been grounded
    Blend until smooth, add a few ice cubes and blend a bit longer.
    475 calories
    35g protein
    66g carbs
    10g fat
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Look into IdealShape shakes.
  • carriek17
    carriek17 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love Melaleuca Proflex shakes. Very low in sugar, high in fiber and 20 G of protein. None of that artificial aftertaste either.
  • shredme1964
    shredme1964 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Depending what nutrients I am short on for the day, I make a delicious smoothie using 2 cups of organic baby spinach, and add fruits for vitamins, flavors, fiber, or just natural sweetness...and add greek low fat yogurt (plain) or an all natural nut butter for the creamy component as well as protein. Kale works good as well, and you don't even taste the "green" items! It's a great way to pack a lot of nutrients into something that "feels" like a treat!