Doing it for the long haul...?

Options
Now I know that eating right and exercising for two days will not a hard body make. But how do you keep with it? Motivation and consistency tips needed.

Replies

• tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    For me, seeing results helped keep me motivated. Seeing the scale drop, or have clothes fit better, things like that made it a lot easier to keep going. Now I'm at a point where it's basically habit.
    I know that's not overly helpful, but the bottom line is that you just have to keep going, no matter what. Some days are hard, some days you won't feel motivated, some days you might feel like giving up. You just have to push through those days.
  • godonmyside
    godonmyside Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've yo yo diet for so long, it's weird this time around I'm at a completely different mindset than in the past and I'm just determined. I've set my goal and I'm determined to keep it for myself but also my family. One thing I have found to make things easier also is I try different recipes that way I don't get tired of eating the same things, I also write out a weekly menu for myself which includes breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks, and I grocery shop according to my menu that way I know what I'm going to eat it makes it easier for me and honestly doesn't feel like I'm dieting anymore.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    If you want to be in it for the long haul, you need to make changes you can see yourself sticking with a year from now. 2 years from now, 10 years from now. Find a way to burn calories that you enjoy. Stick to a reasonable calorie deficit. Don't give up foods you love, but maybe cut them back a bit. Remind yourself often of your goals, and why you want to reach them. Are they worth sacrificing for?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    The results kept me with it. The more I lost, the better I felt. Then I started having fitness goals to look forward to, and now that I'm at my goal weight, I have aesthetic goals and am getting ready for a bulk. It never ends and I love it :)
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I have found the weekly shopping a great way to keep on track with food. I also precut meat before I freeze it so its the right weight and quicker to prepare meals. The foods already there so less incentive to go out to get takeaway (not a lot of delivery where I live).

For the exercise, well I have just made it part of life but that takes time to create the habit. You'll stick with it more if its something you enjoy or at least dont hate doing. Also try to find something that will work in with your schedule eg. if Wednesday is a crazy day at work/home dont try to fit in something extra cause it will be the first thing you drop if you get overwhelmed. Morning exercise also works well for that, I have a few afternoons that I could exercise but then I'll get a call to pick up kids/need to go food shopping etc and then the exercise doesn't happen.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Motivations comes from within. If you have it, nothing will stop you. If you don't, nothing can make you do it. Your desire - it drives you, even when you're tempted by sweets or tired and don't want to work out. Whatever.

People ALWAYS do what they're motivated to do. If you're motivated to work out, you will. If you're motivated to sit on the couch and watch TV, you will.

Nobody else can motivate you. You can't beg borrow or steal it. Has to come from within.

It's about what you want. You're going to do what you want, anyway, so figure out what it is and then be happy doing it, whether it's eating a box of cookies or a bowl of veggies; watching TV or doing a dance video, etc.

Consistency? You mean habits? You just force them. Eventually, you have to force yourself less and it just gets easy to do it's habit! :)
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Eventually you will get to a point in your life when you finally say, enough is enough. When you're finally done with being fat. When you've grown sick of shopping in the plus size section. When you finally realize it's not just about looks it's about your health physically and mentally. When you get to that point, as someone said up above, your mindset will change. It will be something you're just doing now. It won't even seem like a diet anymore. You're changing the way you're living your life. It won't be a struggle to find the motivation because leading a healthier lifesyle is just something that you're going to do from this day forward.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    anewday23 wrote: »
    Now I know that eating right and exercising for two days will not a hard body make. But how do you keep with it? Motivation and consistency tips needed.

No one loves a fat person. That is motivation enough for me.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    Eventually you will get to a point in your life when you finally say, enough is enough. When you're finally done with being fat. When you've grown sick of shopping in the plus size section. When you finally realize it's not just about looks it's about your health physically and mentally. When you get to that point, as someone said up above, your mindset will change. It will be something you're just doing now. It won't even seem like a diet anymore. You're changing the way you're living your life. It won't be a struggle to find the motivation because leading a healthier lifesyle is just something that you're going to do from this day forward.

^this, I couldn't have said it better myself