Toenail issues....HELP!

Options
One of my big toenails is yellow on the top and my toe is swollen. What should i do? Is this a fungus? Should I go to a foot doctor? Has anyone had similar problems? Are there any home remedies that work? I read online that you can use a disinfectant like tea tree oil if it is fungus.

Replies

• ChellieIrish
    ChellieIrish Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I've never had it but I researched and found this if you cannot get to the doctor these tips might help :flowerforyou:

http://www.life123.com/beauty/grooming/pedicure/yellow-toenails.shtml

Home Remedies for Yellow Toenails
    To treat yellow toenails, you'll want to try one or more of the following home remedies:

* Cider vinegar: Soak your toes in a solution of 1 cup apple cider vinegar and 1 cup warm water for 15 minutes, morning and night. Dry feet thoroughly after soaking; use a hair dryer to dry toenails completely.

* Tea tree oil: Apply a couple drops of tea tree essential oil and massage into toenails before donning socks. Tea tree oil fights fungal infections.

* Listerine: Soak your toes in a cup of Listerine morning and night. Dry feet thoroughly after each soaking.

* Change socks frequently: Change your socks twice a day and every time they get sweaty through heat or exercise.

* Let feet breathe: Go shoeless or wear sandals as often as possible until yellow nails clear up.

* Avoid nail polish: Until nails clear up, avoid wearing nail polish. Nail polish seals in the fungus and moisture.

* Wash and dry toenails thoroughly: Wash toenails with antibacterial soap and water when showering, and dry using a towel and then a hairdryer until condition clears up.
  • shell1205
    shell1205 Posts: 138
    Options
    Sounds like it could be a fungus, and it may be infected if your toe is also swollen. My husband had something similar and the doc gave him a cream to use and it helped. So I'd call the doctor... Good Luck!!
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    try treating it with listerine sounds wierd but try it or you can try ST37 you need to order it from your pharmacy or like thriftys, walgreens etc it is a wonderful med you can use it for everything but in your eyes, earaches, canquer sores, sore throat,. burns, cuts, bites, after denstry, sun burns, vaginitis on out side only. And it doesn't burn great on kids. Its also makes wounds and cuts heal faster. Great stuff
  • KaroPharmD
    Options
    is it warm to the touch or painful? have you hit it on anything or gotten new shoes?