motivation time

Options
Alright weight gainers, need some motivational comments/ideas. All day, I think about what to eat next to help gain my calories. This is a full time job (make that overtime). It's like food has to be on your mind 24/7....still can't reach my goal. I need to gain, but I'm frustrated...I'm over it. And its only day 3.

Replies

• IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Heavy whipping cream is 50 cal. per table spoon. You can drink it straight or add it to mashed potatoes, shakes, coffee, alfredo etc.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Have you met ice cream or peanut butter? Because they are pretty good friends to me when i maintain... and they will be best friends when i do my first bulk. At 3500 calories bulking for me ia something to look forward to..

Also, drop diet foods.. add in full fat dairy or 2%. And feel free to drink some calories.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Have you met ice cream or peanut butter?

This is always the correct answer
  • dallas_33
    dallas_33 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. Ideas I didnt think of! Will try for sure!
  • wjohnsweet
    wjohnsweet Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Drink ensure plus or boost plus shakes it has 350 calories and is really small bottle
    Two times a day as between your meals it helps !
  • Al48feelingreat
    Al48feelingreat Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hmm have you thought about building muscle

That will help you gain weight

do a strength training program daily if it's low intensity and weight
    Or two three times a week high intensity and or weight
    You will see the pounds pile on and you will feel hungry as those new muscles will need feeding
    Best regards
  • silverstormborn
    silverstormborn Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Strength training may be pointless to the OP if she's underweight & struggling to eat.
    - I was advised by my dietitian not to for that very reason.

I'll suggest something I plan on doing myself, because I struggle with the same issue.

Plan your meals ahead of the week. This may be a little too ambitious but at least try planning your meals prior to that day for a start. This should help knock off any stressing about what you're going to eat on the day, for every meal time.

Also, prepare some of those meals in advance. Perhaps a few sandwiches. Sometimes I get a little overwhelmed or too exhausted to cook, so reaching for something that's already made & doesn't require preparation or heating up is a good idea I think :)
  • rakiyadestiny
    rakiyadestiny Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Whenever you feel stressed .. Think icecream. It relieves you of thinking about calories and everything else but it also helps... Today I was over thinking went to cold stone and added 770 calories to my diary without even realizing it!
  • haleyselinab
    haleyselinab Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am living off avocado+butter on multi grain toast. Peanut butter, cashew butter, chicken, and oatmeal. I'm looking for more options too and I hear you about thinking about food all day. Its so difficult :( I've been trying to gain weight for a few weeks now and today is my first day on this app& tracking it because the pressure is on from my Dr.
  • dallas_33
    Options
    I ate oatmeal the other day and this app said it was only 15 calories! That was a bummer. And its so heavy on your stomach too :( . A friend suggested protein shakes (over weight gain shakes). He said that muscle weighs more than fat. So maybe protein shakes (muscle gain?) with a combo of ice cream and peanuts (fat?). What a mix! He also said to stay away from Ensure bc it has tons of sugar. But I thought Ensure would be a great choice or those Carnation breakfasts with whole milk. Hoping shakes will speed it up, it's been almost a month and I haven't gained a pound yet. I appreciate the tips, y'all. The support really helps! :smile:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Youre friend is being short sighted. Protein shakes or weight gainers (which are just high calorie protein shakes) do NOT make you gain muscle. They are just a high calorie source of nutrition. Muscle growth is done from progressive overload lifting and a diet that ultimately puts you in a calorie surplus, which will supply your body enough nutritional to promote growth.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    dallas_33 wrote: »
    I ate oatmeal the other day and this app said it was only 15 calories! That was a bummer. And its so heavy on your stomach too :( . A friend suggested protein shakes (over weight gain shakes). He said that muscle weighs more than fat. So maybe protein shakes (muscle gain?) with a combo of ice cream and peanuts (fat?). What a mix! He also said to stay away from Ensure bc it has tons of sugar. But I thought Ensure would be a great choice or those Carnation breakfasts with whole milk. Hoping shakes will speed it up, it's been almost a month and I haven't gained a pound yet. I appreciate the tips, y'all. The support really helps! :smile:

That must have been the world's smallest serving of oatmeal. I had a packet of instant oatmeal this weekend (I'm too lazy for actual oats), and it was 150 calories. I can't imagine eating 1/10th of that serving as a meal. It would be at most a spoonful or so. Are you sure the entry you selected was correct?
  • kends79
    kends79 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    150 ml double cream, 1 cup of water , 40g of unflavoured protein and tablespoon of peanut butter has over 800 calories and tastes great too
  • peanutk81
    peanutk81 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I mix ensure plus chocolate with fruit and extra protein powder. Blend and freeze. Thaw for 30 sec. Makes a fantastic shake. I love them!
  • dallas_33
    Options
    Keep losing my way. I get frustrated and give up. Then get frustrated again when i see, yet again, I've lost weight. Ready to get back on track. That Ensure shake sounds yummy. Thanks!

• marquisj4
    marquisj4 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I always mix in Avocado ,bananas ,peanut butter and baked potatoes