Why is healthy food so expensive?

Options

Replies

• beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    A while back, someone shared this Google Docs Cook Book:
    "Eat Well on $4 a Day"
    https://8e81c55f4ebf03323905b57bf395473796067508.googledrive.com/host/0B2A2SnkA9YgxaHdzbEhGSmJOZDg/good-and-cheap.pdf

The author works with low income families and the book is meant to help people living on Food Assistance eat a well balanced diet -- another plus is that the ingredients are easy to find. No need to climb Kilimanjaro to look for root to make broth...

Hope you like it.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Maybe the problem is you're buying grass fed meat or organic food only, which isn't necessary or more nutritious than conventional produce as studies have shown. As others have said, frozen veggies are the cheapest and are just as nutritious as fresh. 1 lb of frozen spinach, broccoli, cauliflower cost less than $1.50. Potatoes are $3-4 for a 5 lb bag. Beans, which are highly nutrious are 65c/can, Dry beans or lentils are $2 for a 2 lb. Rice, grains etc are all dirt cheap. Probably the most costly is meat, which is not even a necessity. Protein powders are another waste of money.

Your profile says you're in TX, where food is ridiculously cheap. Go to Walmart and also see if you have an Aldi's close to you. Their fruits and veggies are even cheaper than Walmart. But Walmart and Kroger have the cheapest frozen veggies (store brands). Just buy real, whole foods and not processed 'health' foods.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Hi guys! I'm new here, just had a baby 5 months ago and trying to lose the weight. I'm down 4lbs, got another 36lbs to go. But in struggling a bit on healthy foods. I'm not in the most stable of financial situations right now, so I can't really afford spending $300+ every two weeks on groceries. I have about $170 I can spend towards food a month. Can you guys give me some foods that are healthy that are budget friendly? Thanks!

Define "healthy"

I eat very healthfully and spend way less on food (groceries and eating out) than I ever did....

my dietary staples:

dried legumes - very cheap and I make a big batch every weekend for the family
    lentils - very cheap
    brown rice - very cheap
    oats - very cheap
    eggs - not overly expensive
    vegetables like cabbage and broccoli and onions - pretty cheap
    potatoes - dirt cheap...right now I'm buying 5 Lbs of russet potatoes for $.99 a bag
    apples - only fruit I will really buy this time of year as everything else is overly expensive
    ground beef - pretty cheap
    whole chickens and chicken parts - usually pretty cheap
    pork tenderloins - pretty cheap
    cod and salmon and shrimp - expensive
    frozen veggies - always seem to be on sale

and the list could go on...

eating healthy shouldn't be expensive...most people who think it is have a skewed perception of what actually constitutes healthy eating.

watch for sales on meats and what not. only buy salad greens and those kind of veggies that go bad quickly when you know you're going to be eating a lot of salad...otherwise stick to hardier and cheaper veggies. don't get cute without out of season fruits and veg and stay away from the "exotics" unless you're wanting to splurge. Legumes, lentils, rice, and potatoes are your friends.

In my experience, convenience type foods are ultimately more expensive than buying whole foods and preparing your meals from scratch, whole ingredients..and don't get me started on eating out.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Depending on your income, please see if you qualify for any assistance from the government. If you can qualify for WIC it could really increase your food budget.

Otherwise, there are a ton of good suggestions here. Produce this time of the year is getting expensive here (I'm in PA and we've already had two good frosts and some snow), but canned and frozen vegetables are good second options for when fresh just isn't a viable option. Rice and legumes, barley, etc are inexpensive for how filling they are. Bulk cooking and then freezing into portions is very budget-friendly if you can find $100-150 dollars to front the cost. Soups and stews are great ways to stretch meat and you can add in those beans or barley to make it extra filling.

I have a family of four and we spend about $125-$150/week for groceries. That includes three meals a day for four people because both of my boys pack school lunch.

I wish I could get 5 lbs of potatoes for .99!!! Here a 5 lb bag is between $3.99-$4.99.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I spend about $25-35 a week and that keeps me stocked with beans, grains, spices, tofu, tempeh, vegetable oils, potatoes, frozen and fresh fruits and vegetables. Sometimes I'll splurge and get some fancier stuff (non-dairy cheese, faux meat, fancier condiments), but I have found that it isn't too expensive to create healthy meals.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Eating to lose weight shouldn't cost more, it should cost less because you're eating less. There's a huge misconception that eating "healthy" (which isn't required for weight loss, by the way) costs more but it doesn't. You've already gotten some great suggestions here I'll reiterate a couple because hearing things more than once and in a different way helps them to sink in.
    • Buy in bulk. If you don't belong to Sam's Club, BJ's, Costco, etc. get a membership. You will easily cover the membership fee buying non-food essentials like toilet paper, paper towels, dog food, cleaning products, laundry detergent, eyeglasses, etc. before you even start to save on food. And you will save on food. Costco is the largest seller of organic products in the country, if organics matter to you (they don't to me as no one has proved to me they offer anything better than food produced any other way).
    • Buy produce in season or frozen. Avoid buying stuff that's out of season and more expensive. Enjoy hard squash in the Fall and strawberries in the Spring. Buy only what you will use in the next few days and avoid waste unless you freeze it. Buy fresh berries in season and freeze them to use in smoothies, with Greek yogurt, etc.
    • Your crockpot is your friend. You can use it for cheaper cuts of meat or to make large batches of meals, especially if you can get the ingredients on sale. Either freeze the leftovers for another night or use them for lunches during the rest of the week.
    • Start meal planning. Most families eat the same meals fairly often and unless you like to experiment a lot you can get away with making the same things on a two or three week rotation. This will make it easy to stock your pantry when things are on sale and to know what you need to buy when you run out. You can keep one night per week flexible to find recipes which take advantage of in-season produce.
    • Foods in larger portions are cheaper, partially because there's less packaging. This is especially true of snack foods. Buy in quantity and portion into reusable containers yourself.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,359 Member
    Options
    +1 to the good suggestions here about cooking rather than using prepack processed foods, and to specific foods cited.

Another possibility is to consider the less-mainstream, less-popular vegetables at the store, some of which are very affordable. I'm particularly thinking of things like root vegetables (turnips, parsnips, rutabaga, etc.), cabbage, onions (thought of as a major component of dishes rather than just a tiny flavor-sparker - they're excellent roasted), etc.

Before the "I don't like those" reaction, consider giving them a try-out with recipes you might find online that sound good. You may find a few worth using regularly, at a good price-point.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Frozen veggies, chicken thighs, ground turkey are all pretty cheap.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    My food budget is probably around $300 for two week ... for a family of 7, including two adolescent boys.

I plan out the meals for a week at a time and try to shop only about once a week. That cuts down on time spent at the store, plus there's less chances for impulse buys.

Things like whole wheat pasta, brown rice, beans (I get canned because it's easier than dried, and usually less than $1 a can), chicken, 81% ground beef (you can drain some of the grease off if you like), fresh carrots, broccoli, potatoes, onions, and other veggies when they are a good price, fruit that is a good price (you can find apples for $1 a pound quite often), frozen veggies, store brand whole wheat bread (or look for an outlet store like Franz near you), canned tuna, oats or cracked or creamy wheat for hot cereal, or store-brand cold cereals that are lower on sugar, eggs, milk, cottage cheese, and more can easily feed your family without breaking the bank.

I also suggest looking into the WIC program, as others have said. The income limits for it are pretty reasonable, and they also will teach you how to shop for healthy choices. It's a great program :smile:
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,248 Member
    Options
    You can do it. I was able to reduce my grocery bill from $100+ a week to about $40-$50 a week depending on what I am buying. The ways I have done this are:

- Eating more vegetarian meals OR making the meat the side instead of the main (thus needing less meat)
    - Buying my vegetables and fruit in season
    - If I can't get vegetables in season, I buy them frozen
    - I compare prices when I shop and sometimes buy the store brand (depending what it is)
    - Make a list, check it twice, and stick to it!
    - Plan your meals ahead of time
    - Shop less often
    - Keep a good running inventory of what you have on hand and don't buy more until you need it (or a really good sale)
    - Don't buy the premade stuff (ex. don't buy the bottled marinade but make your own)
    - Coupons!
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Soups, stews, chilies, stir-fries, can use less meat when stocked full of veggies. Burritos, fajitas, enchiladas are family faves. I save money for case-lot sales, where I buy my canned goods at a fraction of the price. Making stock from carcasses is a great suggestion.

I tend to spend about $500 a month on groceries and household expenses. It's difficult but doable. I should mention I feed a family of seven on that.
  • BerttiBott
    BerttiBott Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Is it? Where I live individually packaged processed food items like TV dinners are usually $3-6 each and unprocessed bulk goods like nuts, carrots, oats, lentils, salad, milk, apples, etc are in the 50 cents-$2 range...Meat, cheese, sweets, and alcohol are very steep so I tend to avoid those altogether. It also costs more than a week's worth of groceries ($30) to order just one pizza when delivery charges are accounted for.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Dry beans, frozen vegetables, canned vegetables, pasta, rice, fresh produce and meat/fish that is on sale. Usually eggs, though the prices here have skyrocketed. Buying from a farmer's market is often cheaper than the grocery. Plan meals around food prices, rather than buying food to fit a plan whether it's on sale or not. Clip coupons. Buy generic brands instead of name brands.

If possible, grow your own vegetables. So many vegetables can be grown in small spaces or containers.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I'm eating 4500 cals a day and don't spend anywhere near that much. Buy chicken, wild rice, and fruits and veggies in bulk. Same with nuts and seeds. Spend a lot at once and have it last longer
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I am amazed by some of the grocery budgets. How are some of you spending so little?

My budget (for just me) is $450 a month. I tend to go over most months. I do include paper products and foil and such, in my grocery budget.

From June through November, I purchase my produce at a local urban farm. I buy most of my meat at a butcher shop. They have really good prices and their portions are large, so they cover more than one meal. For instance, the chicken breast I cooked tonight weighed in at 11 ounces. I portion it in to 3 ounce servings, once cooked.
  • cuevas_ingrid
    cuevas_ingrid Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! I'm new here, just had a baby 5 months ago and trying to lose the weight. I'm down 4lbs, got another 36lbs to go. But in struggling a bit on healthy foods. I'm not in the most stable of financial situations right now, so I can't really afford spending $300+ every two weeks on groceries. I have about $170 I can spend towards food a month. Can you guys give me some foods that are healthy that are budget friendly? Thanks!

I helped my son loose weight. I haven't because I haven't been motivated. He was , because he was afraid of diabetes. Doctor said he was border line. He lost by eating one starch a day only. He could other things but had to choose which starch he was interest in eating. Lunch he had a granola which are not expensive. Breakfast oatmeal with diet sugar. Sugar after it's cooked. It taste better when preps with milk. These were a few of the things he would eat. He lost forty two pounds in a month and a half. I wish I could Beas disciplined. All the best!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    pdxwine wrote: »
    I am amazed by some of the grocery budgets. How are some of you spending so little?

My budget (for just me) is $450 a month. I tend to go over most months. I do include paper products and foil and such, in my grocery budget.

From June through November, I purchase my produce at a local urban farm. I buy most of my meat at a butcher shop. They have really good prices and their portions are large, so they cover more than one meal. For instance, the chicken breast I cooked tonight weighed in at 11 ounces. I portion it in to 3 ounce servings, once cooked.

I spend about $250/mo for a family of 3. Aldi, Asian groceries, and pricerite are the only places I shop unless I need something at TJ or very rarely stop and shop. We buy bulk meats, but also eat A LOT of soup, stews, chili, etc bulked up with more non starchy veg. 1lb of meat is usually 8 servings for us, and we freeze pretty much everything. No throwing food out, just batch cooking and frozen portions. We always repurpose leftovers and rarely throw food away.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,946 Member
    Options

For me, a "good price" for humanely raised meat is under $2 a pound, so that means a lot of bone in chicken thighs or whole chickens on sale. When I tried (and succeeded) to live on $200/month for groceries alone, I only bought red meat once per month when I was wanting to boost iron.

Now I'm cooking for people who want more red meat, so am delighted when I find grass fed hamburger for $4.49 per pound, although I am somewhat skeptical of the brand. I also buy from a local butcher who belongs to our food coop, and he charges about $9/# for single pounds, and less when we split a whole cow.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options

I usually spend less than $300 a month for just me. I don't count feed cost for my chickens into that, but I sell enough eggs to offset their cost. In the summer I grow most of my own veggies (that is part of my grocery budget), and I stock up on non perishables when they are on sale.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Depends a lot on where you live. I spend $140 in average in a week for 4 of us, and that includes a bunch of kids snacks (but I guess my husband buys lunch most days, so there's that, even though we have perfectly fine leftovers... sorry out of topic, lol).

I basically stock up on things when they are on sale and go to 2-3 different stores depending on what I need (kid snacks, cleaning supplies, paper products, pasta and sauce etc). I buy bread on sale. I mostly buy frozen veggies when they are $1 a bag because it's just cheaper than fresh (even from the farmer's market). I buy fruit in season. I don't buy prepared food. The only things I pay full price are big tubs of plain Greek yogurt, chicken sausage (that's still only about $5-6 a package), and ground turkey ($2.99 a pound where I go). I won't spend more than $2.99 a pound on chicken breasts. I get pork and steak at BOGO free so it's never more than $6 a pound for the steak and $3 a pound for the pork chops.