Calories burned?

Options
k900
k900 Posts: 140 Member
How accurate is the calories burned tool ? I have noticed that the machine I'm using gives me a different amount of calories burned than mfp does.

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    For which activities?
    For you?
    For me?
    What machine?

Every means of estimating calories will give a different result.
  • MeiannaLee
    MeiannaLee Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Its accurate if a person is very overweight. Otherwise machines tend to overestimate calories burned by about 100. I would recommend a heart rate tracker.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't pay much attention to the machines. As someone above has said, a heart rate monitor is the way to go if you want to keep track. Otherwise, as long as you don't eat back more than 50% of the calories MFP or machines say you have burnt, you should be fine :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't pay much attention to the machines. As someone above has said, a heart rate monitor is the way to go if you want to keep track. Otherwise, as long as you don't eat back more than 50% of the calories MFP or machines say you have burnt, you should be fine :)

But some machines are far more accurate than a basic HRM (which is inappropriate for some activities anyway) - you would be introducing a huge error margin.

The real answer is pick a method of estimating, try to verify against other sources so that's it's "reasonable", be consistent and adjust based on actual results over time.