Adding flavor packets to water

Options
I was having trouble drinking plain water constantly so i got some hawaiian punch singles to add to my water occasionally. My question may seem dumb but is adding the flavor to my water taking away from the water. I know how important it is to stay hydrated and that water is very important but does the flavoring alter the benefits of the water? I log it in my calories and it is sugar free. Also, do you count coffee in your daily water intake since it is mostly flavored water?

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    kdblpn wrote: »
    I was having trouble drinking plain water constantly so i got some hawaiian punch singles to add to my water occasionally. My question may seem dumb but is adding the flavor to my water taking away from the water. I know how important it is to stay hydrated and that water is very important but does the flavoring alter the benefits of the water? I log it in my calories and it is sugar free. Also, do you count coffee in your daily water intake since it is mostly flavored water?

Not a daft question because of all the dross out there

water is water whatever you add to it

water is also in foods - still water

I like my water hot, with coffee and milk :)
  • KT_3009
    KT_3009 Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    That's a great way to drink water if you find the taste of water on its own boring or bad! However look into the sugar level of those packets because you still want to keep the drink low in sugar :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    kdblpn wrote: »

Not a daft question because of all the dross out there

water is water whatever you add to it

water is also in foods - still water

I like my water hot, with coffee and milk :)

^ what she said..

I drink iced tea, diet Mt. Dew (it's my crack), and plenty of water with MIO in it. The MIO helps me drink 120oz of water a day (that my minimum based on my activity) on top of 48oz of diet dew... I guess you can say I generally have a drinking problem.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Imagine you ate what was in the packet, then drank the water. It would stil be water.

I go through Mio hand over fist because I don't like plain water very much. It's still drinking water.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    i don't count coffee since it's a diuretic (caffeine) - not really hydrating

Not enough to offset the water - that's one of those media myths

I challenge you to find a study that shows that caffeine affects urinary output to the extent that it a cup of coffee is not considered hydration
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    i don't count coffee since it's a diuretic (caffeine) - not really hydrating

The diuretic effect of the coffee in no way cancels out the hydrating effect of the water.
  • ridge4mfp
    ridge4mfp Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    No change in the water you drink if you flavor it. I love the True Lemon/Lime products, they taste so fresh. Zero calories and no sodium, either.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    No. Water is water; any water-based beverage counts as hydration for your body. (water based vs. alcohol based is what i mean) I personally detest the taste of water; I can taste the minerals and stuff used to purify it. >< So I use a lot of the flavor packs and squirt things and drink a lot of tea.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Make sure you count the calories if it's not a zero-calorie add-in, though, as that stuff can seriously add up.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    Make sure you count the calories if it's not a zero-calorie add-in, though, as that stuff can seriously add up.

Good point. If you're only doing one or two a day and they're 5 calories each, not a big deal. But if you're drinking 8-10 a day and they're 30 calories each, that needs to be accounted for.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Nope... I use wyler's light. Comes in something like ten flavors, easily bought in bulk on amazon or any dollar store and has 5 calories.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I buy those little packets too. I like the green tea flavors usually 4C or Crystal Light. I put one of those little packets meant for a 16 oz bottle into a gallon of water. It gives a nice light flavor and is just enough that I will easily enjoy drinking a lot of it. In colder weather I prefer hot beverages and green white and red teas are my favorites. I will use the same tea bag over and over until there is no flavor left in it.

And of course there is coffee. But I like that with a hefty dollop of flavored creamer at about 80 calories a cup, so I drink it sparingly.