Grocery shopping.

Options

Replies

• Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    mamarissy wrote: »
    It doesn't take much more effort to put a chicken in the oven to roast than to put a frozen pizza in the oven to bake.

Almost everyone is busy. That's almost always a cop out answer to rationalize laziness.

Thank for your rude opinion, but I didn't ask for it. I'm a single mom with two jobs and two young children. I spend most of my time working and then when I'm home, between watching my kids and cleaning, time isn't exactly something I have a lot of. It's not "lazy" to be busy.

um, you actually did ask for it when you posted on a public message board asking for opinions!

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    It doesn't take much more effort to put a chicken in the oven to roast than to put a frozen pizza in the oven to bake.

Almost everyone is busy. That's almost always a cop out answer to rationalize laziness.

Thank for your rude opinion, but I didn't ask for it. I'm a single mom with two jobs and two young children. I spend most of my time working and then when I'm home, between watching my kids and cleaning, time isn't exactly something I have a lot of. It's not "lazy" to be busy.
    Yeah, actually you did.

Now, tell me how much longer you think it takes to put a chicken in the oven than a pizza. Does your water boil faster when you make mac and cheese out of a box than when you're steaming broccoli?

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Yeah, you did ask for his opinion. You asked for our input and he made a good point. Everybody is busy. I've never met a person who says "oh I have all the time in the world to do anything I want. I'm never busy!"

Sit down and make a list of 8-10 meals and then just rotate through them. That should take *maybe* 15 minutes. Each week look at the list to see what the meals for the week will be and then shop for them. This is pretty much Life Skills 101 stuff. Not that hard.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    It is a satd fact that many people have almost no cooking skills and are overwhelmed at the idea of preparing home cooked and healthy meals. The truth it, it is not as difficult as most people think. Cooking a meal can take as much or as little time as you want. Don't be afraid to experiment. Honestly unless you burn it or use too much salt it is really hard to get it wrong.

Keep a good assortment of herbs and spices on hand and a few basic meats and veggies and assortments of grains and pasta can provide a wonderful variety of meals that don't take a lot of time to create.

I look are recipes online sometimes for ideas but almost never actually follow one to the letter. Most of the time you can leave out or swap ingredients. Most foods are easy and forgiving.

A great basic dinner I make frequently, takes maybe an hour. Cut some veggies up. Whatever you have, or even use frozen. Add some chicken or other protein, (best to have it thawed out first) Drizzle with a little oil salt and pepper and whatever herbs and spices appeal to you that day. Bake at 350 until the veggies are fork tender and the meat is done.

Use a meat thermometer to know if it is cooked properly. This is a very inexpensive tool that can be a big help.

Just pop it in the oven and set a timer and go do other things until it is ready.

By mixing up the variety of veggies protein and herbs you use you virtually have a different meal every time.

Baking is a whole other story and does require more precision to do from scratch.

Also if you are a parent include your kids in the process. Part of the problem today is that kids are not being exposed to thehse activities and grow up knowing nothing about how to prepare food. Encourage experimentation and have them help you pick out healthy foods at the store that they will help you to prepare.

And let's not shame people for being intimidated by the idea of preparing food. It does not help them to find the courage to try.

A wonderful post.

Companies that make premade foods have made us believe that... cooking is difficult, tedious, expensive and time consuming... but, hey, we've a solution to that (percieved!) problem. We have made that boring job for you! Just buy our prepackaged meals, ready to just heat up :# And this has started to spread to the planning part, and even deciding what's for dinner :s

In a few years we'll have professionals who will go on holiday for you, for only a small fee :|
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    In my experience, the busier you are the more you need pre-planning and lists so tasks don't become either neglected/procrastinated nor done half-heartedly due to poor planning. Having "systems" for things allows me to accomplish homemade foods and such often in less time than it takes to make kraft dinner. And in the long run the pre-processed food you've made saves time over eating meals haphazard.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    She asked a question, but she didn't be asked to be told she was lazy or insulted.

While I agree that eating healthy isn't all that much harder, I do see where a single mom working two jobs would find it quicker and easier to microwave a meal than cook one, especially if there is homework to help with before getting the kids into bed. Feeding them quickly might be the priority. I cannot imagine how hard that life would be and am not going to pass judgement on someone doing what she needs to do.

The shopping, though...it really doesn't take much longer to pick up some meat and veggies than it does to pick up some Hamburger Helper and meat. Maybe a minute, maybe less.

OP, you have to decide what your priorities are. Do you want your family to eat healthy of not? Either choice is a valid one to make and the decision is yours. If you want to do the healthy thing, ask for opinions on quick and healthy meals or ones you can make ahead of time.

I fed my son a lot of junk while he was growing up. Hamburger Helper, Kraft Dinner, pizza, all kinds of stuff. Those weren't "once in a while" kind of treats. That was our diet. When I had more money, it was mostly fast food and restaurant food. I failed to make him his healthiest or to teach him good, healthy habits. It's some kind of miracle that he developed them on his own, before I did, lol. I was bad about what I fed him, but that doesn't make me a terrible mom.

If you choose microwaveable meals, it won't make you a terrible mom. You will be failing to make the kids their healthiest and won't be teaching them good habits, but maybe they'll develop them when they're older. You're still a good mom. Healthy food is not the litmus test. There is no litmus test. :)
  • boymommy3x
    boymommy3x Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    She asked a question, but she didn't be asked to be told she was lazy or insulted.

While I agree that eating healthy isn't all that much harder, I do see where a single mom working two jobs would find it quicker and easier to microwave a meal than cook one, especially if there is homework to help with before getting the kids into bed. Feeding them quickly might be the priority. I cannot imagine how hard that life would be and am not going to pass judgement on someone doing what she needs to do.

The shopping, though...it really doesn't take much longer to pick up some meat and veggies than it does to pick up some Hamburger Helper and meat. Maybe a minute, maybe less.

OP, you have to decide what your priorities are. Do you want your family to eat healthy of not? Either choice is a valid one to make and the decision is yours. If you want to do the healthy thing, ask for opinions on quick and healthy meals or ones you can make ahead of time.

I fed my son a lot of junk while he was growing up. Hamburger Helper, Kraft Dinner, pizza, all kinds of stuff. Those weren't "once in a while" kind of treats. That was our diet. When I had more money, it was mostly fast food and restaurant food. I failed to make him his healthiest or to teach him good, healthy habits. It's some kind of miracle that he developed them on his own, before I did, lol. I was bad about what I fed him, but that doesn't make me a terrible mom.

If you choose microwaveable meals, it won't make you a terrible mom. You will be failing to make the kids their healthiest and won't be teaching them good habits, but maybe they'll develop them when they're older. You're still a good mom. Healthy food is not the litmus test. There is no litmus test. :)

❤️
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I do not have the time nor energy to sit down and come up with healthy meals and create grocery lists for them so I know exactly what to buy at the grocery store. Between work and kids, I find is much easier to just grab a frozen pizza and some boxed Mac n cheese. How do you all find the time/motivation to come up with a grocery list and recipes and everything and stick to them?

I haven't read the other comments so forgive me if I am repeating points that have already been made :]

I don't think your attitude is going to get a lot of sympathy from the majority of members purely for the fact that - we are ALL pretty busy. The majority of us have to work full time. A huge percentage of us have children. Of COURSE it's 'easier' to throw a pizza in the oven - there is no disputing that. Contrary to popular belief, you don't actually have to sit and munch on celery sticks whilst everyone else eats junk. I still eat junk and I'm still a TERRIBLE cook. I've lost 33lbs but not one of those pounds have been because of my own recipe's or 'clean eating' (whatever that IS anyway!). I eat whatever I want but I track my calories and count absolutely every thing.

The motivation is the part that a lot of people struggle with but it's utterly vital for success. That comes from within. We can tell you HOW we personally stay motivated (For me, my goal is my main motivation) - but yours will differ. We are unique. Dig deep and find it - if it's important enough, you'll find what works for you and make it happen.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    She wasn't.

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options

After the plethora of helpful responses to your question, this is what you seize on??

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

OP wasn't insulted!! She ask for opinion she got it, and to add she never stated in her OP that she was single and working 2 jobs, that would have been a good ideal to add to the OP, we are not mind readers.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »

After the plethora of helpful responses to your question, this is what you seize on??

That doesn't surprise me. LOL
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    If you choose microwaveable meals, it won't make you a terrible mom. You will be failing to make the kids their healthiest and won't be teaching them good habits, but maybe they'll develop them when they're older.
    She didn't ask for a passive-aggressive swipe, either.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If you choose microwaveable meals, it won't make you a terrible mom. You will be failing to make the kids their healthiest and won't be teaching them good habits, but maybe they'll develop them when they're older.
    She didn't ask for a passive-aggressive swipe, either.

I wasn't insulting anyone. I think she understood that. As I said, I did the same dang thing and do not think it made me a bad mom. It made me less than ideal - not perfect, but not bad.

I think "swipe" means insult. I think that's what you meant. If that's what you meant, I hope I made it clear in the post and now, what I meant.

Perhaps you didn't mean to suggest she was lazy? Maybe that was a poor choice of words?
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    @Mamarissy I work and have 2 toddlers, but thankfully do have a supportive husband who can't cook anything on the stove because he is cooking challenged. I agree that it is really hard, and I don't know how single parents do it when I feel overwhelmed even with help.

I recommend a couple of things.

1. Crockpot. I know a lot of people said this. Trust me. This is the way to go. Don't spend a huge amount of time googling recipes. That just gets confusing and then you end up buying spices you might only use once. Think easy. Use meats that can cook forever and still taste good. This weeds out anything too lean (which is usually more expensive). I like boneless, skinless chicken thighs, pork shoulder, pot roast. All easy. All can cook forever. Then you need to add a liquid. You can use water, chicken stock, beef stock, salsa (this is particularly good with chicken), etc.

2. Buy stuff that is pre-made or presliced to make your life easier. This is different than buying a pizza. If you don't get a protien in the crockpot, rotisserie chickens are like your best friend. Don't buy carrots you have to peel and cut, get the baby carrots that are ready to go. It will be a little pricier but totally worth it. One of my favorite staples is the steam in the bag veggies. It doesn't get easier than that. I also use the preshredded cole slaw mix in all kinds of stuff like soup, stir fry, salads, etc.

3. Don't buy anything that can't be re-used. If you can't use the ingredient in more than one meal that week, ignore it.

4. At the grocery store, shop the perimeter. Most of your staples are going to be on the perimeter of the store rather than in the aisles. Think eggs, milk, bread, fruit, veggies, meat. Even the cereal that is on sale is usually on an aisle end cap.

I love to cook and so I like meal planning and shopping. Maybe you could get someone to watch your kids while you shop? I bet part of hating shopping is hating shopping with your kids. I HATE shopping with my kids. It's kind of fun when I can take an hour to myself. I actually wear my earbuds at the store and listen to music while I grocery shop.

Oh, and I'm editing this because I forgot to add...if you seriously hate going to the store you can probably just order your groceries and have them delivered depending on where you are. I'm in Pennsylvania and Shoprite, Giant and Acme all deliver to my house for like an extra $15. Best money ever spent. I don't impulse buy anything and I don't have to leave the house if I'm busy.
  • DeguelloTex
    edited October 2015
    Options
    nm, not worth the points to engage with the amphibian.
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Op...just remember ... internet rudeness is common thesr days.

• boymommy3x
    boymommy3x Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who responded with such positive and helpful comments! I appreciate it! As for everyone else who has negativity to add, thank you too! You're all right, I'm making excuses. No more excuses. Time to just shut my mouth & do what I KNOW I NEED to do to be healthy and happy for me and my family! Thank you everyone!
  • mrsnazario1219
    mrsnazario1219 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I never plan meals lol! I stand in front of the freezer and figure out what we didn't have that week and choose a meat accordingly. Did we have rice in the last 2 days? No? I guess it's rice then. What veggie do I have? Broccoli? Yep, broccoli it is. There's dinner! I rotate meals every week. I sometimes add in something we haven't had in a long time. Works for us and I cook dinner 5-6 days a week. As far as grocery shopping, I stick with my staple meats and veggies and whatever is on sale in my flyer that week.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Personally I think there are far fewer lazy people than we give them credit for. They may be overwhelmed, uncertain, inexperienced, or afraid of failure. I start with the default position that people are not lazy, and are looking to find a way out of their dilemma.

@mamarissy busy mom, best of success to you. I think if you gradually switch your diet over it will get easier over time. My daughter keeps reminding me that the rotisserie chicken is often cheaper than the frozen. Rotisserie chicken is cheaper and more convenient. How great is that?