Protein, carb and fat intake

ZRx4
ZRx4 Posts: 158 Member
Hi all,

I'm in week 2 of insanity... I've been pushing myself to dig deeper and really get a good workout in. I've had no weight loss as of yet and I haven't measured myself yet, waiting till after my fit test. Anyway, I was looking at MFP chart on protein, carb and fat intake and I'm just wondering what everybody's at. Mine of course varies day to day but I'm shocked at my fat intake. Guess I gotta get rid of the yolks in my eggs and stuff. Anyway, I'm 5'7" currently 170. I eat as clean as possible. Feedback please!

Replies

• LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Eat at a caloric deficit to lose weight. If you eat clean to lose, you may lose weight, by accident, but why not do it on purpose? Find your TDEE and subtract 500 cals from it.
    Need help? Use this calculator
    Google IIFYM CALCULATOR
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Hi all,

I'm in week 2 of insanity... I've been pushing myself to dig deeper and really get a good workout in. I've had no weight loss as of yet and I haven't measured myself yet, waiting till after my fit test. Anyway, I was looking at MFP chart on protein, carb and fat intake and I'm just wondering what everybody's at. Mine of course varies day to day but I'm shocked at my fat intake. Guess I gotta get rid of the yolks in my eggs and stuff. Anyway, I'm 5'7" currently 170. I eat as clean as possible. Feedback please!

Macros don't matter so much for weight loss...it's calories in/calories out. Also, dietary fat doesn't make you fat. If you're not going to eat the yolk, that's fine...but that's where all the nutrients are and they don't make you fat. Actually eggs have very heart healthy fats in the yolk and help prevent heart disease. Fat is an essential nutrient and everybody should be getting 20-30% of their diet minimally in fat.

If you're not losing any weight, it's because; 1) you need to be more patient and/or 2) you are not at a calorie deficit. Just because you're working out hard doesn't mean you're actually at a deficit...in fact, it's harder to maintain a deficit when you're training hard because your body wants the calories and you eat.
  • mkwongh
    mkwongh Posts: 279 Member
    what above said... PLUS
    measure measure measure. When i was doing insanity, i only lost maybe 5 pounds, but lost way more inches
    good luck
  • hmuh
    hmuh Posts: 379 Member
    That calculator is great! Thanks for posting, longisland.
  • stephanie8625
    stephanie8625 Posts: 119 Member
    Eat at a caloric deficit to lose weight. If you eat clean to lose, you may lose weight, by accident, but why not do it on purpose? Find your TDEE and subtract 500 cals from it.
    Google IIFYM CALCULATOR

So I went on that website and got my TDEE to be 2504 -- that seems so high !!
    So what you are saying my total calorie intake after exercise and everything should be 2004?
    That is confusing, because MFP had me at 1530 calorie intake and I followed it for 2 weeks and have not lost a pound :devil:
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    If your TDEE is 2500, assuming you filled out the info correctly, then you want to start at a 500 cal deficit.
    Start a diet that low in cals (1600) it's likely you won't make it far
  • Fitwam
    Fitwam Posts: 275 Member
    That is such a cool calculator! I have been struggling with my diet for 8 weeks! I am doing the Jamie Eason's livefit trainer 12 week program. I haven't lost a thing! Most women my height are much smaller in weight. I have been trying to follow her diet (but not to a T). On the last few weeks she has us carb cycling!
    I am going to finish the program out. But I was already looking for something to help with my diet portion. This has to be the only thing keeping me from leaning out.

At any rate, I will go back to that website for future reference. And really looking forward to when they add some recipes in!
    Thanks for the share LongIsland
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Google IIFYM CALCULATOR

So what you are saying my total calorie intake after exercise and everything should be 2004?
    That is confusing, because MFP had me at 1530 calorie intake and I followed it for 2 weeks and have not lost a pound :devil:

Keep in mind that ANY online calculator is going to give you a result based on population averages. This may or may not be your TDEE.

Since I maintained my weight for almost 2 years I know what my TDEE is. The IIFYM calculator above gave me a slightly high result.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Mine of course varies day to day but I'm shocked at my fat intake. Guess I gotta get rid of the yolks in my eggs and stuff.

Wait, why? Has a doctor told you that you need to cut your fat intake for any reason?

I hit a minimum of 130g protein. I prefer 150g. My fat minimum is about 70g but I almost always exceed that. The rest is carbs.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member

MFP has you eating exercise calories, though. If your MFP goal is 1530 and you burn 500 through exercise, MFP directs you to eat 2030 - which is, of course, really similar to the TDEE cut calculator's suggested intake of 2004.

Both methods include your exercise, they just go about it in different ways.
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    It is not as simple as calories in calories out. Your macro nutrients are important and dictate your calories out just as much as exercise. If you want your body to burn your body fat when you work out you need to reduce simple carbs. During extreme workouts you can get away with eating a little carbs but you really want to get the majority of your calories from fat and protein. Don't be afraid to tinker with it as you move forward. I would recommend trying to limit carbs around 100g.

Also I would gauge your success on your performance with the workout. Can you do more reps or go longer. Your measurements will give you a better idea about changes in your body composition, ie fat vs muscle.
  • I second that suggestion re simple carbs. Protein builds muscle, muscle burns calories. Your body uses more energy to maintain the muscle. There is a lot if really interesting information based in actual study groups regarding how simple carbs affect your blood sugar and therefore your body's fat storage response. Basically, if you keep a healthy level blood sugar level your body will use fat for energy rather than carbs. And of course that is what I want my body to burn, fat :) I figure, hey, if I gotta cut stuff out I'm making the calories count and work for me! I'm going to eat high protein, lower my fat intake ( so my body has to burn stored fat), and my carbs are going to be raw dark greens. It's quality calories. Make those calories work for you! Hope this is helpful!