Fodmap diet

Options
Hey guys I just started being on a fodmap diet for about a month now and was looking to see if other people were on it as well an wanted to share recipes and the awesome journey to weight loss :) so feel free to add me :)

Replies

• ksmit001
    ksmit001 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    What is that? I haven't heard of that one (ha I suppose Google would answer that for me)
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    ksmit001 wrote: »
    What is that? I haven't heard of that one (ha I suppose Google would answer that for me)

FODMAPs are short chain carbohydrates that are poorly digested by a lot of people. I'm sure you've probably heard people say that they have a sensitivity to gluten, or they don't react well to gluten. Aside from those with Celiac who are actually allergic to gluten, for most people, it's actually the FODMAPs that they aren't digesting well, not the gluten.
  • Sammy85x
    Sammy85x Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm starting it on Monday and really worrying that I'm going to struggle. I also need support as I'm really going in with not much of an idea x
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I should do this because I'm experiencing some kind of pain/reaction to too much carbs or sugar. I don't even know. I seriously do not have the patience for it though.
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    It's supposed to be good for people with ibs. I have ibs c and have thought about it. Let us know how you get on with it
  • asc74
    asc74 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm starting it officially Jan 11 with the help of a dietician. I was just recently diagnosed with IBS and have been told this will be a big help in helping me learn about my trigger foods!
  • rebeccaahola894
    rebeccaahola894 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have started this 2 days ago. It is a challenge as I am trying to lose weight and the only meat I eat is fish. It is quite difficult just working out which foods are okay for FODMAPS and then also healthy. I am in the elimination stage of the diet so I am hoping there will be quite a few categories Ill be able to tolerate. I am interesting in chatting with anyone else doing it.
  • deebol
    deebol Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I started this last year and it has totally revolutionised my life. It's not a weight loss diet though... it didn't help with that at all unless your cutting calories. Download the Monash uni app, it's pricey for an app but I wouldn't have worked out my triggers and safe levels of each I can eat. Good luck the 3 months of hardwork on fodmap are worth it, I don't eat any of my triggers and I have no ibs reactions unless I eat one.
  • BabyKiwi07
    BabyKiwi07 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    star1407 wrote: »
    It's supposed to be good for people with ibs. I have ibs c and have thought about it. Let us know how you get on with it

I have lost 40 lbs so far
  • spdaphne
    spdaphne Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    My fiancee is supposed to follow the low FODMAP diet. I was talking to my nutritionist and she agreed it was probably one of the trickiest and difficult diets out there.

I've made dishes for him to eat and made recipe modifications. Luckily, he will eat anything so cooking isn't super difficult since he's not picky. But he's always happy when I cook or find something he can eat and tasty.
  • pnash4508
    pnash4508 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Getting ready to start it under direction of dietitian. Looks difficult.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    We only did it for a month, then DH started to add back foods that he didn't react with. It was VERY hard.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    BabyKiwi07 wrote: »

Low formals isn't a weight loss diet. It's an elimination diet to find your trigger foods.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    *fodmaps ugh autocorrect
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    deebol wrote: »
    I started this last year and it has totally revolutionised my life. It's not a weight loss diet though... it didn't help with that at all unless your cutting calories. Download the Monash uni app, it's pricey for an app but I wouldn't have worked out my triggers and safe levels of each I can eat. Good luck the 3 months of hardwork on fodmap are worth it, I don't eat any of my triggers and I have no ibs reactions unless I eat one.

I agree. The app is very helpful.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    pnash4508 wrote: »

I don't think it's difficult, but I did it coming from a background of preparing almost everything from scratch, with very little packaged food.

It was more restrictive, especially when limited by availability of fresh produce due to the season, but worth it
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    pnash4508 wrote: »

I don't think it's difficult, but I did it coming from a background of preparing almost everything from scratch, with very little packaged food.

It was more restrictive, especially when limited by availability of fresh produce due to the season, but worth it

I didn't find it difficult. I did a modified version (with additional restrictions) for a few years (with a few cheats) because those naturally were my Crohn's trigger foods. Now that I have no colon and m in remission I eat a more regular diet
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    BabyKiwi07 wrote: »

Low formals isn't a weight loss diet. It's an elimination diet to find your trigger foods.

This. It's like the Whole 30. It was never designed to be a weight loss diet. People might lose weight on it because it is a lot of whole foods and they may consume less calories, but the intention of the diet was not weight loss.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I actually was trying to gain weight when I went low fodmap. I had to eliminate starch as well because I can't digest it. And I was underweight from not being able to digest foods. So, it helped me a lot.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    It is helpful... helped me get over a period of painful ibs and if that ever happened again I would go back to it...