Exercise can help reduce drug cravings. But is exercise itself a kind of drug?

Options
2»

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Dunno. Definitely not a drug for me though. I do it so I can eat more and that's pretty much it.

Same here, and I also exercise because I love it and I like being fit.
  • ohmyllama
    ohmyllama Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    ohmyllama wrote: »
    I still hate to admit it, but I might as well. I'm 22 days clean and I can tell you... exercising will never replace my love of using. It'll always be the love of my life. However, exercise greatly reduces my cravings, and I've had a *very easy* withdrawal this time around. The only thing different is that I was exercising... I've tried to quit so many times before and just couldn't do it. I fully contribute my success to exercise. :)

Happy 22 days!

It's been 11 years since I used The Other Thing and I don't think about it any more except when we're talking about addiction here and sometimes not even then.

Thank you!! I do hope that a few years from now, I'll stop thinking about it. It's good to know you don't think about it anymore. :)
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Everything is relative, in that sense, anything can be a drug: food, video games, the internet, MFP...

But I seriously doubt that anytime soon we'll have the Crossfit Mafia, underground tunnels smuggling kettlebells and people robbing each other on the streets so they can afford their Pure Barre fix..
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    YES, exercise replaces drugs or alcohol for many addicts. Some of those become muscle dysmorphics, trading one problem for another. But the muscle thing, IMO, is much, much better. Addictive personalities tend to throw themselves into things totally. They get hooked on something. Why not exercise?

Personally, my opinion is that if you're going to "treat" a former addict who is now a muscle dysmorphic and your plan is to "cure" the muscle issue, you had better know what comes next! You better know for sure that it won't be going back to drugs or alcohol. If your "cure" makes the person worse, that is your fault, not theirs. So, you better make sure that you know you're going to help and not hurt.

I get wanting to keep working with people to make the realize all their potential, but it's a risk. If you aren't 100% certain that they'll be better off! leave bad enough alone. IMO.

More and more inpatient treatment centers are using exercise/weights in the gym as a reward. Get to a certain place, you get gym privileges. Yay. :)

As an alcoholic (almost 13 years sober), I can safely say there is no way I'm getting "addicted" to exercise! Are your nuts!?

I didn't say all, I said some. It happens a lot. If you say you aren't, I believe you. Wasn't trying to single out anyone here or even talking about the posters on this board. But it does happen a lot, people channel their addictive side out of booze/drugs and into something else...sometimes, it is hitting the gym.

I wasn't think you, specifically, and believe you. :)
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    My ex is one of the people this article would relate to. His addictive personality will settle on anything that feeds it for a time. Sadly for him (he is an awesome dude we are still very good friends) his has recently settled on alcohol. but it has been hiking, learning Latin, studying the bible, playing guitar, art. I can see the merit to the idea, but I would say that if you become addicted to working out you are much less likely to ruin your life, or the lives of those you love with your addiction.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,969 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Over the years, my addictive side has expressed itself all over the place. It's calmer now, possibly due to age and possibly because I've found safer and saner ways to get those happy hormones to release.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I don't have an addictive personality or obsessive tendencies...but do NOT get between me and my workout.

Calling it a drug might be a little strong, but for some people, the exercise endorphins are very nice. Being very serious about exercise, enjoying it a lot and being in an extremely bad mood if not able to exercise...all of these things seem to run in my family.

It really does seem like different people experience this differently.