Net vs. Gross Exercise Calories (from heart rate)

Options
Hey guess, sorry if this question has been asked before, but I was trying to figure this out.

I calculate my calories burned during aerobic exercise using my heart rate. I was wondering if I should enter my gross calories burned (the calories burned from exercise + My BMR calories for that time period) or my net calories ( the estimated calories burned only for the exercise). I am leaning toward the later since it seems that MFP already takes your BMR into consideration when deciding your calorie goal for the day. But, it seems that most exercise machines provide you with your gross calories burned. So not sure. I know its all estimates anyway, but I would really like to to be as accurate as I can, and not assume I have too much leeway. I appreciate the feedback.

Replies

• CrimsonNBlues
    CrimsonNBlues Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Just bumping this to see if anyone knew the answer, or could direct me to a good source of info.
  • ssssrrrr11
    ssssrrrr11 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have same question. So I take average calories in each of 3 H.R. zones from watch. Then use a gross to net calorie calculator to get net, which seems to be 1/4 to 1/3 less. Have no idea if this is correct . Would love one calculator to take H.R., time in H.R., age, sex and give me net calories, can't fine one....Good luck
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Using MFP's calorie intake model (your net goal + exercise calories) you should be using net calories expended as they represent the additional calories burned exercising otherwise you're double counting calories already included in BMR (which you'd burn lying in bed 24 hours a day.....)