Options
2»

Replies

• javifff
    javifff Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    javifff wrote: »
    ayanasioux wrote: »
    Well unfortunately, issues like this tend to happen right before the binge. Your body is fighting to hold onto fat because it realized you're starving it and doing more things to make it lose energy/calories (exercise) best advice I ever had was to stop restricting and start properly fueling your body before it's too late. Eat at least 2000 calories a day and make sure 80% of your calories come from carbohydrates and the remainder comes from fat and protein. This works best for people and there's a lot of available research on it.

Good luck

Can I see some legitimate research on this? You mention that it's available but I'm having difficulty finding it. I'd sure like to see it.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24829732

That study (on a "calorie shifting diet") has absolutely nothing to do with the hogwash (need to eat more to lose weight because starvation mode) posted above.

ayanasioux wrote:
    Eat at least 2000 calories a day and make sure 80% of your calories come from carbohydrates and the remainder comes from fat and protein.

study says:
    CSD consisted of three phases each lasts for 2 weeks, 11 days calorie restriction which included four meals every day, and 4 h fasting between meals follow with 3 days self-selecting diet.

A cheat meal/week, a cheat day/week (ayanasioux), a refeed day/week, 2 refeed days/week, 3 ad libitum days/2 weeks (study).... To me these are different approaches for a pretty similar idea.

Just trying give info BecomeBane asked.

And, not totally, but very related....

1.A short-term, high-fat diet up-regulates lipid metabolism and gene expression in human skeletal muscle1,2,3 David Cameron-Smith, Louise M Burke, Damien J Angus.
    2.The fatty acid transporter FAT/CD36 is upregulated in subcutaneous and visceral adipose tissues in human obesity and type 2 diabetes. Bonen A1, Tandon NN, Glatz JF, Luiken JJ, Heigenhauser GJ.
    3.Effects of short-term carbohydrate or fat overfeeding on energy expenditure and plasma leptin concentrations in healthy female subjects. Dirlewanger M1, di Vetta V, Guenat E, Battilana P, Seematter G, Schneiter P, Jéquier E, Tappy L.
    4.Insulin and cortisol promote leptin production in cultured human fat cells. Wabitsch M1, Jensen PB, Blum WF, Christoffersen CT, Englaro P, Heinze E, Rascher W, Teller W, Tornqvist H, Hauner H.
    5.High-Fat Meals Reduce 24-h Circulating Leptin Concentrations in Wo m e n Peter J. Havel, Raymond Townsend, Leslie Chaump, and Karen Te ff
    6.Effect of Long-term Calorie Restriction with Adequate Protein and Micronutrients on Thyroid Hormones Luigi Fontana,*,† Samuel Klein,*, John O. Holloszy,* and Bhartur N. Premachandra
    7.High-Fat Diet Increases Thyrotropin and Oxygen Consumption without Altering Circulating 3,5,3′-Triiodothyronine (T3) and Thyroxine in Rats: The Role of Iodothyronine Deiodinases, Reverse T3 Production, andWhole-Body Fat OxidationR. L. Araujo, B. M. Andrade, A. S. Padrón, M. P. Gaidhu, R. L. S. Perry, D. P. Carvalho, and R. B. Ceddia
    8.Dietary-induced alterations in thyroid hormone metabolism during overnutrition.Danforth E Jr, Horton ES, O’Connell M, Sims EA, Burger AG, Ingbar SH, Braverman L, Vagenakis AG.
    9.Intermittent versus daily calorie restriction: which diet regimen is more effective for weight loss?Varady KA.
    10. Salti I, Bénard E, Detournay B, Bianchi-Biscay M, Le Brigand C, Voinet C, et al. A population-based study of diabetes and its characteristics during the fasting month of Ramadan
    11.The effect of the Ramadan fast on physical performance and dietary habits in adolescent soccer players
    12.Effect of Ramadan fasting on some biochemical and haematological parameters in Tunisian youth soccer players undertaking their usual training and competition schedule. Journal of Sports Sciences. 2008
    13.Interleukin-6, C-reactive protein and biochemical parameters during prolonged intermittent fasting. Annals of nutrition & metabolism. 2007;51(1):88-95. 62.
    14.Does Ramadan fasting affect expiratory flow rates in healthy subjects? Saudi medical journal.. Zerguini Y
    15.Influence of Ramadan fasting on physiological and performance variables in football players: summary of the F-MARC 2006 Ramadan fasting study. Journal of sports sciences. 2008
    16.Short-term modified alternate-day fasting: a novel dietary strategy for weight loss and cardioprotection in obese adults. The American journal of clinical nutrition. 2009
    17.Effect of intermittent fasting and refeeding on insulin action in healthy men. Journal of applied physiology (Bethesda, Md. : 1985).
    18. Glucose tolerance and skeletal muscle gene expression in response to alternate day fasting. Obesity research. 2005
    19.Alternate-day fasting in nonobese subjects: effects on body weight, body composition, and energy metabolism. Johnson JB,
    20.Alternate day calorie restriction improves clinical findings and reduces markers of oxidative stress and inflammation in overweight adults with moderate asthma. Soeters M
    21.Cellular and molecular effects of n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids on adipose tissue biology and metabolism.Flachs P1, Rossmeisl M, Bryhn M, Kopecky J.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Well unfortunately, issues like this tend to happen right before the binge. Your body is fighting to hold onto fat because it realized you're starving it and doing more things to make it lose energy/calories (exercise) best advice I ever had was to stop restricting and start properly fueling your body before it's too late. Eat at least 2000 calories a day and make sure 80% of your calories come from carbohydrates and the remainder comes from fat and protein. This works best for people and there's a lot of available research on it.

Good luck

Can I see some legitimate research on this? You mention that it's available but I'm having difficulty finding it. I'd sure like to see it.

That study (on a "calorie shifting diet") has absolutely nothing to do with the hogwash (need to eat more to lose weight because starvation mode) posted above.

ayanasioux wrote:
    Eat at least 2000 calories a day and make sure 80% of your calories come from carbohydrates and the remainder comes from fat and protein.

study says:
    CSD consisted of three phases each lasts for 2 weeks, 11 days calorie restriction which included four meals every day, and 4 h fasting between meals follow with 3 days self-selecting diet.

Ummm...yeah...those two claims have absolutely nothing to do with each other.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options

Good luck

I agree. Additionally, it only takes 74 people into account, wasn't strictly controlled, and relied on personally subjective survey data regarding satiety.

The conclusion was that more study was necessary, so... there was no definitive conclusion.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options

Good luck

ayanasioux wrote:

study says:

A cheat meal/week, a cheat day/week (ayanasioux), a refeed day/week, 2 refeed days/week, 3 ad libitum days/2 weeks (study).... To me these are different approaches for a pretty similar idea.

1.A short-term, high-fat diet up-regulates lipid metabolism and gene expression in human skeletal muscle1,2,3 David Cameron-Smith, Louise M Burke, Damien J Angus.
    2.The fatty acid transporter FAT/CD36 is upregulated in subcutaneous and visceral adipose tissues in human obesity and type 2 diabetes. Bonen A1, Tandon NN, Glatz JF, Luiken JJ, Heigenhauser GJ.
    3.Effects of short-term carbohydrate or fat overfeeding on energy expenditure and plasma leptin concentrations in healthy female subjects. Dirlewanger M1, di Vetta V, Guenat E, Battilana P, Seematter G, Schneiter P, Jéquier E, Tappy L.
    4.Insulin and cortisol promote leptin production in cultured human fat cells. Wabitsch M1, Jensen PB, Blum WF, Christoffersen CT, Englaro P, Heinze E, Rascher W, Teller W, Tornqvist H, Hauner H.
    5.High-Fat Meals Reduce 24-h Circulating Leptin Concentrations in Wo m e n Peter J. Havel, Raymond Townsend, Leslie Chaump, and Karen Te ff
    6.Effect of Long-term Calorie Restriction with Adequate Protein and Micronutrients on Thyroid Hormones Luigi Fontana,*,† Samuel Klein,*, John O. Holloszy,* and Bhartur N. Premachandra
    7.High-Fat Diet Increases Thyrotropin and Oxygen Consumption without Altering Circulating 3,5,3′-Triiodothyronine (T3) and Thyroxine in Rats: The Role of Iodothyronine Deiodinases, Reverse T3 Production, andWhole-Body Fat OxidationR. L. Araujo, B. M. Andrade, A. S. Padrón, M. P. Gaidhu, R. L. S. Perry, D. P. Carvalho, and R. B. Ceddia
    8.Dietary-induced alterations in thyroid hormone metabolism during overnutrition.Danforth E Jr, Horton ES, O’Connell M, Sims EA, Burger AG, Ingbar SH, Braverman L, Vagenakis AG.
    9.Intermittent versus daily calorie restriction: which diet regimen is more effective for weight loss?Varady KA.
    10. Salti I, Bénard E, Detournay B, Bianchi-Biscay M, Le Brigand C, Voinet C, et al. A population-based study of diabetes and its characteristics during the fasting month of Ramadan
    11.The effect of the Ramadan fast on physical performance and dietary habits in adolescent soccer players
    12.Effect of Ramadan fasting on some biochemical and haematological parameters in Tunisian youth soccer players undertaking their usual training and competition schedule. Journal of Sports Sciences. 2008
    13.Interleukin-6, C-reactive protein and biochemical parameters during prolonged intermittent fasting. Annals of nutrition & metabolism. 2007;51(1):88-95. 62.
    14.Does Ramadan fasting affect expiratory flow rates in healthy subjects? Saudi medical journal.. Zerguini Y
    15.Influence of Ramadan fasting on physiological and performance variables in football players: summary of the F-MARC 2006 Ramadan fasting study. Journal of sports sciences. 2008
    16.Short-term modified alternate-day fasting: a novel dietary strategy for weight loss and cardioprotection in obese adults. The American journal of clinical nutrition. 2009
    17.Effect of intermittent fasting and refeeding on insulin action in healthy men. Journal of applied physiology (Bethesda, Md. : 1985).
    18. Glucose tolerance and skeletal muscle gene expression in response to alternate day fasting. Obesity research. 2005
    19.Alternate-day fasting in nonobese subjects: effects on body weight, body composition, and energy metabolism. Johnson JB,
    20.Alternate day calorie restriction improves clinical findings and reduces markers of oxidative stress and inflammation in overweight adults with moderate asthma. Soeters M
    21.Cellular and molecular effects of n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids on adipose tissue biology and metabolism.Flachs P1, Rossmeisl M, Bryhn M, Kopecky J.

Some of these are 30 years old... just saying.
  • javifff
    javifff Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Good luck

ayanasioux wrote:

study says:

Yeah..., I see now, you're absolutely right, my bad. Thanks. (/ironic)

Anyway, these are studies somehow related to the issue, for anyone interested.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    Um. omg no. How can you quote "Eat at least 2000 calories a day" to someone when you don't know their activity level, height and weight? You don't know what number she needs or her BMR or RMR for that matter, and maintenance level for her could be 1000 calories OFF of the 2000 you just threw out there without the background knowledge. Also, that "starvation mode" nonsense has been repeatedly disproven time and time again by science. That's why Intermittent Fasting works for a lot of people and why every doctor worth his spunk will tell you that it's important to only eat when you are actually hungry EVEN IF that means skipping a snack or a meal or having dinner later or breakfast earlier or whatever. I appreciate that you were trying to help @ayanasioux but this is neither scientifically accurate advice, nor is it appropriate to give it out when you don't have all the information. Note all the people who initially asked questions instead of giving advice...

https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/food-thought-fast-day-starvation-mode/
  • CoffeeNCardio
    edited October 2015
    Options
    "Okay, so all I have to do to lose weight is ... eat more food! Wow, isn't that awesome? If I stall out at 800 calories, I'll just go up to 1000. And if I stall at 1000, I'll go to 1200. If that doesn't work, how about 1500? 1800? 2200? Oh wait, when I ate 2200 calories, I weighed 223 pounds. Okay, that's not going to work.

The problem with this idea is that, if it were true, no one would die from starvation and obviously people do. Clearly, even if you eat what is obviously too few calories to be healthy, such as an anorexic does, you will continue to lose weight."

Since we're quoting from blogs apparently... This explains it pretty well.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

Good luck

ayanasioux wrote:

study says:

Which ones said to eat 80% carbs and over 2000 calories so as to avoid "starvation mode"?

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

Good luck

ayanasioux wrote:

study says:

I'm sorry you don't seem to understand that study doesn't address the quoted poster's claim that one must eat over 2000 calories per day of a minimum 80% carbs otherwise your body will fight to hold on to fat because it thinks you're starving.

Here's another study equally relevant (admittedly to a link to an article discussing the study, rather than the study itself)

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2003/may/09/science.arts
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options
    Check it OP, this might be a good read for you! It's got some really good SPECIFIC things you can do when you hit a plateau, as well as some reasons to not worry about it:)

http://authoritynutrition.com/15-reasons-not-losing-weight-on-a-low-carb-diet/
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    See the whole series, http://sportsscientists.com/2010/01/exercise-and-weight-loss/. &
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html/
    I do cardio 4x per week (HIIT for 15-30 min)...

Pretty impressive considering top athletes can maybe tolerate three times per week for two mesocycles (8 weeks) or so. Either step up the intensity and duration, cut the intake, or both. Also take a closer look at the macros see http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/fat-loss-for-athletes-part-1.html.

There are other interesting articles such as http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/an-explanation-of-exercise-efficiency.html/, http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/research-review-metabolic-adaptations-to-short-term-high-intensity-interval-training.html/, etc
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options

Here's another study equally relevant (admittedly to a link to an article discussing the study, rather than the study itself)

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2003/may/09/science.arts

OMFG LOL Juggernaut1974
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    clgaram720 wrote: »
    Check it OP, this might be a good read for you! It's got some really good SPECIFIC things you can do when you hit a plateau, as well as some reasons to not worry about it:)

Points 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, and 16 do NOT apply in a situation where someone is eating X calories and not losing weight. Some of those points DO apply to people who don't count calories and instead eat based on how they feel. And just as many are complete hogwash.

Point 13 is actually the most important one. It says if you aren't losing weight, try counting calories, but that is the situation we are in anyways.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    edited October 2015
    Options

Points 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, and 16 do NOT apply in a situation where someone is eating X calories and not losing weight. Some of those points DO apply to people who don't count calories and instead eat based on how they feel. And just as many are complete hogwash.

Point 13 is actually the most important one. It says if you aren't losing weight, try counting calories, but that is the situation we are in anyways.

Woah woah woah, I wasn't making any judgement on her calories at all, I was dispelling the idea that she aught to eat 2000 calories a day (and 80% carbs) like was said earlier in the conversation. This was just a little morale-booster for if she's on a plateau. Note that most of these are basically saying "don't worry, weight loss isn't linear...water weight etc". I haven't said ANYTHING about her caloric intake or output.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

Woah woah woah, I wasn't making any judgement on her calories at all, I was dispelling the idea that she aught to eat 2000 calories a day like was said earlier in the conversation. This was just a little morale-booster for if she's on a plateau. Note that most of these are basically saying "don't worry, weight loss isn't linear...water weight etc". I haven't said ANYTHING about her caloric intake or output.

The article said you had to "eat less carbs", "eat real food", "eat less diary or it magically turns a calorie deficit into fat" (my paraphrase), and "I don’t think it’s a good idea to be in a calorie deficit for too long at a time.". All of them misleading an irrelevant to losing weight. The last one is especially awesome because it is an "I don't think" so the writer is saying "I pulled this out of my *kitten*".

It also has no relation to eating 2000 calories/day.

It is one thing to provide a morale booster, but this article just provides a lot of misinformation. There are significantly better posts on this forum about how weight loss isn't linear, like this one

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear/p1

I'm sure there are plenty of others, this just happens to be the one linked in the must reads post - http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10260537/most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads#latest
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options

Woah woah woah, I wasn't making any judgement on her calories at all, I was dispelling the idea that she aught to eat 2000 calories a day like was said earlier in the conversation. This was just a little morale-booster for if she's on a plateau. Note that most of these are basically saying "don't worry, weight loss isn't linear...water weight etc". I haven't said ANYTHING about her caloric intake or output.

The article said you had to "eat less carbs", "eat real food", "eat less diary or it magically turns a calorie deficit into fat" (my paraphrase), and "I don’t think it’s a good idea to be in a calorie deficit for too long at a time.". All of them misleading an irrelevant to losing weight. The last one is especially awesome because it is an "I don't think" so the writer is saying "I pulled this out of my *kitten*".

It also has no relation to eating 2000 calories/day.

It is one thing to provide a morale booster, but this article just provides a lot of misinformation. There are significantly better posts on this forum about how weight loss isn't linear, like this one

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear/p1

I'm sure there are plenty of others, this just happens to be the one linked in the must reads post - http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10260537/most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads#latest

Okay.
  • heatherlewisis
    heatherlewisis Posts: 118 Member
    Options

Good luck

Wow. Worst advice ever.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options

Good luck

Wow. Worst advice ever.

ylxpp97yweyc.png
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Good luck

ayanasioux wrote:

study says:

Some of these are 30 years old... just saying.

Well when you're doing your loading for a gish-gallup, you need volume over quality.