HELP! Lunch ideas to bring to work.

Options
I bring my lunch to work and generally eat a sandwich with deli meat, slice of cheese on a sandwich thin pretty much every day. I keep ice packs in my lunch bag, we do have a refrigerator available but I generally eat in my office while I am working .. the sandwich idea is getting old fast and I'd like to cut down on the salt from the deli meat! What do you bring for lunch? Cheap and that I can prepare ahead of time is ideal :)

Replies

• questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Do you have a microwave? I usually pack leftovers.

Otherwise, you could try making salads with grilled chicken, or make a big batch of light chicken salad to eat all week instead of deli meat.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
  • healthy_lovez
    healthy_lovez Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of leftovers from meals the nights before. It's just me and the hubs so we always try to cook more and pack it up as we make out plates (so we don't go back for more). I do a lot of meats and veggies so it makes it easy to portion out in containers for work. I also like soup, and I do try to keep a few frozen meals on hand just in case I'm in a rush. I know they aren't the greatest but they are better than the alternative if I'm in a hurry and don't have time to pack anything else.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I generally bring leftovers from last night's dinner. Only prep is to put it in a container.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    this time of year I start making a lot of soups and stews for dinner which make perfect leftovers for lunch. during the summer when I'm grilling I will often grill extra meat to take with me to put on a salad...i also make a big batch of pinto beans on the weekends so I can have that with whatever meat and maybe 1/2 an avocado and some veggies of some kind...or a breakfast burrito. I also eat more salads when it's warmer and plenty of sandwiches. I just try to make it so I'm not eating the same thing every day and getting too bored.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    My every day lunch meal is the classic chicken, rice, frozen veggies. That's good base and you can make it how you like by adding spices, cheese, dressing..anything. I've been playing around with other meals ideas but nothing keeps me fuller for longer without sacrificing calories for dinner. I usually don't need snacks between meals when I have this which helps money wise, too.

$10 bag of chicken,
    $2.00 box of brown rice,
    frozen veggies by me are around $1.50 per bag (I get 2 bags)
    or a huge mixed bag for $5.00,
    $2.75 for a 4 pack of small tupper ware

I make everything Sunday afternoon, takes 2 hours if that, and leaves me enough rice and veggies for next week- All I have to do is buy another bag of chicken. If you work all 5 days of the week freeze 1-2 meal(s) and pull them out night before to defrost. If you don't like rice you can sub with another carb like steel cut oatmeal (savory), quinoa, barley, lentils. Only $30 for 2 weeks of lunches!
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I've been bringing leftovers lately, but before that I'd bring a sandwich on sandwich thins with a side of raw vegetables, a wrap in a GemWrap with a side of raw vegetables, or a big salad with some kind of protein. Basic, but it gets the job done. The leftovers are way better.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Leftovers are always good. Today, however, I brought 10 ounces of green grapes, 2 mini babybel gouda cheeses, and a 4 ounce container of cranberry almond chicken salad that I will eat with a couple of multgrain crackers. I'll be eating that throughout the early afternoon.

I'm not a huge fan of the sandwich. Some days I'll do a salad with chopped meat- either dinner leftovers or my husband's deli meat- cheese, and whatever I have in the fridge such as hard boiled egg, veggies, nuts, etc. I always have a couple of extra things to snack on later in the afternoon, too, like string cheese, nuts or fruit.

If you don't normally have leftovers simply start cooking a larger dinner to create leftovers. That's exactly what I do. With three of us working, we are sometimes fighting over them. I have started doubling some 4 person recipes as a result.
  • BklynFitGuy
    BklynFitGuy Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Similar lunches as the OP. I weigh everything out so the calories are reasonable but I know the processed deli meats are not so great and high in sodium. Looking to do some better lunch planning as well.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Are you on Pintrest? Tons of good suggestions for bento box type lunches. I love love love this site. I have done a bunch of the recipes. http://justbento.com/ I make a huge batch of rice for me and my kids, and then we mix it up during the week. Chicken, carrots, peas, cheese, sweet peppers, celery, yogurt, ham, tuna salad, eggs, oranges, apples, grapes, mango... Sometimes I will make a big batch of seasoned tofu cubes and bake them for my protein. Refrigerator oatmeal I bring for a snack.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Mostly soups, stews, and chilis that I cook on the weekend and divvy into individual portions and freeze with label (date and calorie count). In the morning before work I decide which one I want and put it in my work bag. I usually have a few different chilis, a few different stews, and A LOT of soup varieties.
  • Gizmo20783
    Gizmo20783 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Do what the fitness guys do; protein, serving or two of rice or potatoes and a serving of veggies. Super simple, simple to track, simple to make, unlimited variety, easy to store in bulk and travels well.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I toss protein (usually frozen) and then some frozen veggies and sometimes some black beans, feta cheese and/or quinoa in a pyrex and microwave it.

I eat chicken, tuna, tilapia, tofu, squash, sweet potatoes, green beans, broccoli, etc.
  • Paralizer
    Paralizer Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    2 slices rye bread + 1 tbsp peanut butter + 1.5 turkey slices

Calories: 361
    Carbs: 27
    Protein: 20

It'a a great and delicius fitness lunch
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I pack things like sandwiches/wraps, dinner leftovers, fruit, deviled eggs, cheese, yogurt, granola bar, raw vegetables, hummus, chips, trail mix.

http://bentology.net/blogs/blog/tagged/menus
    http://justbento.com/type/bento

sandwich/wrap ideas-
    peanut butter and sliced fresh fruit
    tuna
    hummus
    beans
    egg salad
    bake or grill chicken and slice thin
    add things like spinach, peppers, onions
    http://www.myrecipes.com/search/site/wrap

Salads-
    lettuce, spinach or cabbage
    bean, lentil
    pasta or quinoa
    http://allrecipes.com/recipes/96/salad/?internalSource=hub nav&referringId=16583&referringContentType=recipe hub&referringPosition=3&linkName=hub nav exposed&clickId=hub nav 3
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10270725/things-to-go-in-salads/p1
  • CarlTheIntern
    CarlTheIntern Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a bento box?

Here to help!
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Do you have use of a microwave? I generally make a crockpot stew, soup or chili on the weekend and take it for lunch during the week. I also bring fruits, veggies, hummus, peanut butter, bread, to keep at my desk or in our kitchen for snack time. I'm a major snacker
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I usually will have Greek yogurt, some portion of leftovers, and/or tuna with crispbread for lunch. I keep vacuum packs of tuna and a bag of crispbread at my desk.