Why is weight loss and fitness always talked about as if they are interchangeable?

walker1world
walker1world Posts: 259 Member
edited October 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I think we aren't doing our selves any favors talking about these things as if they are joined. The truth is you can loose weight and never exercise. You may not be fit, and totally out of shape. I know a lot of people that aren't fat that can't walk 10 flights of stairs. I also know a lot of people that are over weight that run or walk miles everyday and still have issues with their weight.

I think linking these 2 together is dangerous because if you have to run 5 miles a day to loose weight then your going to need to run 5 miles a day to stay at that weight. Get hurt or sick and watch the weight pile back on. If you decide to exercise to assist in your weight loss make sure it's something you have fun doing so that you can do it the rest of your life. This calories in calories out thought is driving the wrong behaviors we should be asking why do we get fat? Not just the macro view but the micro. What is the mechanism that stores fat?

Find the answer to that question then understand what regulates that mechanism and you will see why weight loss and fitness are cousins not twins.

I have not really started exercising but I will, it will be about getting fit, not loosing weight.

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    Why is weight loss and fitness always talked about as if they are interchangeable?

It isn't.
    Why do people use the word "always" when they mean "sometimes"?

+1 on this
  • walker1world
    walker1world Posts: 259 Member
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    not everyone does that...

Often you hear this phrase "calorie deficit is for weight loss, exercise is for health and fitness".

Most who are NOT new here understand the difference.

For example the first 20lbs I lost was through calorie deficit alone...made it easier to exercise...so I started to do that too...gave me more food to eat, made me feel better and got me fit....but it didn't help me lose weight.

When I was in the wilderness and had no clue about nutrition and fitness, these cliches and dogmatic saying only led me astray. Did a lot more harm than good.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    For many here, their weight is the single biggest component of their lack of fitness. That said, I think most here realize they are separate. I have weight goals and fitness goals; they are separate but somewhat interrelated.

And exercise is a great help in keeping weight off. Among other things it can help reduce insulin and leptin resistances, which are key problems that can lead to obesity.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    I'm not sure that means what you think it does.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    sijomial wrote: »

It isn't.
    Why do people use the word "always" when they mean "sometimes"?

Maybe OP means that new people coming to here think that? That seems to be a common part of new people threads that ask for help.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Well, he edited so much it's hard to tell what he originally meant.

The post currently reads as if weight loss is getting too much emphasis at the expense of fitness, but that kind of cuts against what he originally wrote.

Perhaps he'll clarify.
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    I definitely was reminded years ago to choose activities t would enjoy for life.

Made sense to me e!
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    clgaram720 wrote: »
    I calorie count to lose weight.... I exercise to get away from the zombies faster than you. Simple:)

Getting away from zombies is admirable. Me... I aim for world domination and calorie count to make that happen.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    I calorie count to lose weight.... I exercise to get away from the zombies faster than you. Simple:)

Getting away from zombies is admirable. Me... I aim for world domination and calorie count to make that happen.

Lol, but what will you dominate when the zombies come???! You can be my Abraham. I'm building a zombie apocalypse team! #TWD
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member

Lol, but what will you dominate when the zombies come???! You can be my Abraham. I'm building a zombie apocalypse team! #TWD

My mustache is cooler.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    I'm more likely to see people on mfp talk about exercise and fitness as completely optional to weight loss.

• crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    I think we aren't doing our selves any favors talking about these things as if they are joined. The truth is you can loose weight and never exercise. You may not be fit, and totally out of shape. I know a lot of people that aren't fat that can't walk 10 flights of stairs. I also know a lot of people that are over weight that run or walk miles everyday and still have issues with their weight.

I think linking these 2 together is dangerous because if you have to run 5 miles a day to loose weight then your going to need to run 5 miles a day to stay at that weight. Get hurt or sick and watch the weight pile back on. If you decide to exercise to assist in your weight loss make sure it's something you have fun doing so that you can do it the rest of your life. This calories in calories out thought is driving the wrong behaviors we should be asking why do we get fat? Not just the macro view but the micro. What is the mechanism that stores fat?

Find the answer to that question then understand what regulates that mechanism and you will see why weight loss and fitness are cousins not twins.

I have not really started exercising but I will, it will be about getting fit, not loosing weight.

I'm sorry but it sounds like you think how you approach weight loss changes how you loose weight. Why would you need to exercise to create a deficit when you are maintaining? Your physics/biology doesn't make any sense.

And we know how fat is stored. Basic biochemistry. It's not a mystery.
    http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/cellular-microscopic/fat-cell.htm

I agree with your basic thesis, it's about CICO, and you can get there with or without exercise, but I think you could use a biology brush-up
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member

My mustache is cooler.

I believe you!

We must follow the same regimen.. Let's see who gets eaten first :wink:

And you can be my Carol!