Looking for people who have done NO CARDIO, Just weights and have lost weight!

Options
2»

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I did it for a while. Then when I added cardio in some of my lifts got better.

How refreshing! :)

There's often a perception that cardio harms lifting but I find being very fit means my recovery time between sets is far better so I can either lift more volume in my allotted time or have a shorter session if I'm short of time. Also means I can do high reps far easier when I'm training for strength endurance.

For me I saw the biggest improvement in squats. Doing 8-12 reps with pretty much any weight feels like cardio anyway. When you're working with heavier loads doing 8-12 reps you really need efficient lungs and heart. Not only did the length of time my sets took get shorter, my recovery was better and I was able to break a plateau. I hate cardio and I don't do much of it, but when I get an hour in every week it helps.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    A trainer once told me that it's pointless to do exercise you hate, even if it pops a lot of calories fast, because eventually you'll stop exercising altogether.

I think some depends on the motivation. For me, it isn't about weight loss at all, but about the fitness rewards that I see every day. I won't give those up even though I don't much care for the training.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    gdyment wrote: »
    You know those out of balance people who only do arms? Or just legs? Heart is an important muscle to work as well. You can ignore it but probably not wise.

Not saying you'll ever love cardio, but being 130 lbs over is part of the reason you hate it. Balance.

I agree with this. I've never loved cardio, and am enjoying my gym time so much more since giving up the notion that I have to do constant cardio to reach my goals. I still do some because I do think it's important for cardiovascular health, but my primary focus is on weight training. I'm both losing weight and gaining strength, so it's working for me.

• darvinbak
    darvinbak Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I went from 230+ to ~165 w/no cardio, just weight training. Eating less calories resulted in the weight loss.
  • 98bikinisuitedlbs
    98bikinisuitedlbs Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    gdyment wrote: »
    You know those out of balance people who only do arms? Or just legs? Heart is an important muscle to work as well. You can ignore it but probably not wise.

Not saying you'll ever love cardio, but being 130 lbs over is part of the reason you hate it. Balance.

agreed.

You really don't have to kill yourself for more than 10-20 mins cardio..I would say to alternate between each kind of machine. Use the bike for 5 mins, use the elliptical for 5 mins, jog for 5 mins..you don't have to kill yourself doing it, just do enough to get your heart beating and work a bit of a sweat. You might find yourself doing more eventually.

Your diet is the most important thing, always keep that in mind.

Amen!! Focus on diet alone first and then exercise as secondary intervention. Do what you love the most in staying active!,