Bite me C25K! - What I wish someone had told me when I started

Options
Hi! I'm the guy who started the C25K program about a year ago:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10009122/bite-me-couch-to-5-k-week-3/p1

Anyway, I'm now running THREE 5Ks EVERY WEEK. No walking. Running - and it feels great.

I thought it might be helpful to give those of you interested in C25K some thoughts on my experience.

WARNING: I'm not a doctor, fitness guru, moral authority or your parent. Proceed at your own peril.

1) Almost Anyone Can Do It.
When I started in October of 2014, I was 53, morbidly obese, diabetic, hiatal (sp?) hernia, high blood pressure (190/92 without drugs), GERD, resting heart rate of 86-88, bad knees, bad back, bad hips...there's more but that's enough I guess.

I went to the doctor. Had my heart scanned eight ways to Sunday. My cardiologist said "Go ahead, just take it slow and listen to your body".

6g20ltb82xtb.jpg
Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead

I stuck with C25K and now:

I'm no longer obese - just overweight
I am no longer diabetic. It's GONE!
My hiatal hernia retracted on it's own. It's Gone!
My blood pressure is marginally high and I'm pretty sure in 20 more pounds it will BE GONE!
Still got GERD - but it's much reduced.
My resting heart rate is around 68-71
My knees, back and hips are stronger. they hurt sometimes - so I don't run that day - I just walk.
I have new SEXY leg muscles and my girlfriend really likes that! Woot!

klkcizkqaz7o.jpg
Feeling Strong Now!

2)Read This!
http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1217573/so-you-want-to-start-running/p1

3)All the Apps Seem to be the Same
I tried a few different apps but I really couldn't tell much difference. They all make you run. I ran.

4)Be ready to Repeat Weeks
I had to repeat a lot of weeks. Most weeks I had to repeat multiple times. One week took almost two months. There's no way you're not going to repeat some/many/all weeks. It's cool.

5)Relax
You got to relax when you run. I know that sounds weird but it works. Relax your shoulders and neck. Relax your arms (don't let them flop but don't pump more than six inches either). And here's the wildest one: RELAX YOUR FEET! I know that sounds crazy but I had a real problem with tense feet. Try it.

6)Slow the Hell Down
You should never run faster than your ability to speak. Now by speak Im not talking living room conversation. You will be breathing a little hard - but you can still talk. If you can't talk - don't stop - just slow down. If you're so slow you're walking THEN WALK! Who cares?

7)Know Wussy Pain from Real Pain
Look, I've laid on a sofa for over 30 years. My body DID NOT WANT TO RUN. So you know what it did? It said "Oh Des, you're in pain! STOP RUNNING!"

Your body is a big fat liar.

It took me months to learn to accept the normal aches and creaks of pushing my fat, lazy muscles, crying out in rebellion with what I call "wussy pain", to new limits. I have a mantra that I chant continuously when I run:

"I have no sharp pains. My breathing is good" - I say this over and over as I run.

The first three minutes of every run still sucks. That's what happens when you get old I guess.

8)Get good shoes
For the first few weeks you can run in almost anything - since mainly you are walking. But once you start to run, go to a runner's store and have them fit you properly. I'm in love with my Hoka shoes - great for a fattie like me as you've basically got a Sealy Posturepedic mattress under each foot to cushion your heavily burdened knees and feet.

http://www.hokaoneone.com/

9)Get Social
Find your local running club. Go to Google and type in "<your town> running club". Well, find one that gladly welcome walkers (not all do). Don't be afraid. They are really nice people and they know we all start at the bottom. Just be careful: most of them love to eat and drink far more than low BMI people should. This website is very accurate to most of the serious runners I've met:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/running

10)Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
Short of an injury (and by that I mean a real injury that makes you think you should go to a doctor) you can do this.

Replies

• RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Great post! I needed this, since I'm planning on starting the C25K on the weekend. I had been all gung-ho on gym work, but I've sprained my wrist and need to keep moving, so I thought "hey yeah, C25K". Then, I thought "wait, I'm too fat for this - I'm gonna hurt myself" - I have lost some weight, but am still carrying around an extra 80 or so lbs. But with advice from MFP friends, and posts like this, I really know I CAN DO IT. I just have to stop being afraid and get to it. Thank you for posting this. You're very inspiring, and I really like all the advice you give. It's sensible, to say the least. And GREAT work, great accomplishment for you!!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Another great post! Thanks heaps, and well done!
  • BethAnnieT
    BethAnnieT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    You are my new favorite person. :)
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Love it! Congratulations also on how far you've came, you must feel GREAT!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Great post! All spoken from experience. I'm a creaky fifty-five and I enjoy running so much more than dieting. I can trick myself in to believing I am actually getting somewhere. It's also a kick to run up the stairs at work, just because I can.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I <3 all of this but I've been there with you through some of it. I am so proud of what you've accomplished. I know you were struggling there at the beginning. I'll add a few notes of my own since my story is a tiny bit different.

I started at age 45 after having despised running all my life. In my younger years (until about 30) I was incredibly active, gymnastics, competitive karate, etc. but nothing that required running. Along comes middle age and I realize that while I'm not technically overweight I'm not far from it and I'm barely walking 1500 steps per day. I got more active then and since my sister started running marathons when she'd hit 40 a few years earlier, I thought "Maybe I could do that, too."

So I started C25K. W1D1 I thought I was going to die. I ended up creating my own "Week 0" where I only ran for 15 seconds and then walked for 3 minutes. I made it past there and on to weeks 1, 2 and 3. And here's where my story goes off the track. I had a conversation with my sister and it turns out she's an interval runner even for full marathons. I rather liked the idea of just doing the C25K thing rather than running without stopping. After doing some research I found that it's easier on the joints, results in less injuries and has some benefits due to the interval nature. So I departed from C25K and ran intervals instead. I'll say that I still love what C25K is all about and recommend it all of the time. My intervals are currently running a mile and walking a minute and I do eventually plan to try to run a 5K without stopping, hopefully at the upcoming Thanksgiving Turkey Trot. :smile:

For everyone just starting out, Des' 8 points above are great! He's hit on a lot of things that I see new runners struggling with in the forums all of the time. I can say that I particularly love the Zombies 5K app because of the story telling aspect but any of them will work just fine. Do not be afraid to repeat weeks or even create your own. Although a lot of what we can and can't do is all in our heads if you're seriously having problems making the distance then do what you have to do to keep progressing.

Going slow is key. You're going to be running at a pace that is ridiculously slow but that's okay. C25K is about endurance, not speed. If you get winded, go slower. If you're at a fast walk, that's fine, just keep at it. I'll tell you, even professional runners do most of their training runs at a pace that's very slow for them. There's a lot of evidence that running slowly for 80% of your running time gets you faster in the end than running as fast as you can all of the time, so keep it slow! Once you graduate from C25K you can throw in some speed drills and hills, not before.

Keep your stride short. I see people running in my area in these long, bouncy strides and I want to pull the car over and have a long talk with them about wasted energy and injuries! 180 steps per minute is the recommended cadence to keep your feet underneath your body and prevent the injuries that can come from over-striding. I actually ran with a metronome app for awhile to get used to the faster foot turnover and now I find that I naturally stride at between 175 and 180 regardless of the music I'm listening to.

Additionally, follow the C25K rules. Don't run more often than every other day or for as long as the program has you running. Those rules are there for your protection, to guard you from overuse injuries. Many new runners get gung-ho and want to run every day. Most of them end up getting sidelined with shin splints or sore joints. The recovery day is just as important as the running. Don't do high impact activities on the days between. No bouncy aerobics. If you want to do more, I strongly suggest strength training. It'll help strengthen the stabilizing muscles in your legs and only make you a better runner. If you'd rather do more cardio then bike, walk or swim.

I didn't need "real" running shoes until I was regularly going distances over 5K. Most of my early C25K sessions were only a mile and a half or so in the 30 minute sessions and a good portion of that was walking. At around the 5K mark I started getting black toenails and my right knee was twingy so I went to a running store and got fitted in the right shoes for me (neutral Mizunos) and I've not had a problem since.

Most importantly in all of this, have fun! Whew, that ended up being a lot longer than intended but I hope some of it helps.
  • Stefie_G
    Stefie_G Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Great post! I'm currently doing C25K and my run tonight is supposed to be the 20 minute jog (week 5 day 3). I'm nervous, but you have given me confidence.
  • Starfish1125
    Starfish1125 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this! I've been so lazy lately and the scale is creeping up. This is just what I needed to get inspired again. I love the C25K program. But I was always upset that I couldn't keep up but it's clear I was going too fast too soon and I gave up.

I'm starting over. Thank you!!

You look amazing!! A true inspiration
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    What SueInAz says is so true, too: do it every other day. My hubby tried doing it a few days in a row and it put him right off it because it was too much, too soon and he had really bad DOMS. Now I'm struggling to get him interested again. And I will make sure we only run every other day, as we are meant to in doing the C25K program!
  • TayFit07
    TayFit07 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Wow, what an inspiration to so many people, good on ya
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Brilliant post and top job!!
  • leanlicorice
    leanlicorice Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Just what I needed to read! Thank you and congratulations!
  • Chaotic_Panda
    Chaotic_Panda Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the motivation to get back into it!
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Danngggg!!!! [i <3[/i]
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Great post.

I actually remember your original post as I was at around week 5 of a similar programme and it really made me laugh. I too run regularly now and enjoy it immensely.

Keep truckin'
  • cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Wonderful and extremely inspiring post! Thank you for sharing!
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    nice post and great job

i love this line
    7)Know Wussy Pain from Real Pain
  • titianknitter
    titianknitter Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Dude, you are awesome.

I've been running since 2003. I only recently learned that most runners are in discomfort/pain/wanting to stop during their runs. Wow, I'm normal! I'm actually pushing harder now, having learned that, and I'm more in love with running than ever. I am also still Queen of the 11 Minute Mile ;)
  • amy84lynn
    amy84lynn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Love it!
  • ayslinn28
    ayslinn28 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Great post.

I'd like to emphasize the "wussy pain" vs real pain part. I tried to restart C25k this past fall. I was doing great, end of week three, but my legs were KILLING me. Not just while I was running, either, but almost all the time when I was walking too. I tried to ignore it- I figured it was just muscle pain- and ran through the pain for another week. After that, I couldn't- it hurt too much. So I went to the doctor and it turned out I had stress fractures in both tibias. I had to take it slow and rest for awhile. While I was resting, I was walking one day and fell (it was raining and I slipped). Landed on my knee and it hurt but again, I thought the pain would go away. Thought that for a month... until an MRI revealed torn meniscus and lateral fracture to the kneecap. Awesome. Clearly, I hadn't learned my lesson about pain the first time around!

So, I'm passing on to everyone- pain can be just "tired, achy, lungs on fire" pain or it can be serious pain. listen to your body! Really, really listen.

And get good running shoes. I had crappy ones and I'm sure they contributed to the stress fractures.