Medieval Times Diet

Options
senecarr
senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
Has anyone tried this?
See back in the medieval times, everyone was always healthy so long as they didn't get a disease like plague, and since we now have vaccines for that, clearly we'll all live incredibly long and healthy lives just eating like they did back then.

So basically you can eat anything that you could at Medieval Times or at your local renaissance faire if it is in season - no cheating and using the diets of other renaissances faires, you have to stick with your local one - medieval people didn't get to travel so neither did their appetites, and that means you can't either!

I was a bit skeptical, but after my second pepsi and third giant turkey leg, I was sure I found a food plan that worked for me. Since it can help with health and not just weight, I'm hoping this plan will help with gout. I'm pretty sure medieval people never had gout.

Anyone have stories to share about their experience with this diet?

Replies

• senecarr
    Options
    Also, I was looking for advice. To get that real dragon roasted experience, what heat source should I use? I think an acetylene torch would be closest but someone recommended propane. What do you guys think?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Also, I was looking for advice. To get that real dragon roasted experience, what heat source should I use? I think an acetylene torch would be closest but someone recommended propane. What do you guys think?

deep fryer for the turkey legs. Can't get them up to 1,000 calories each with the added fat!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    If this was a proper medieval diet, you'd need to hang the meat for some months before consuming. The maggots add protein, and the bacteria works with the bacteria in your gut and detoxes your system by cleansing your digestive tract.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Don't forget the mead.
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I think you should should have been more true to the times and had a stein of lager with your turkey leg. But only if it was for breakfast.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I had deep fried oreos at the renn. Fair. Does that count?
  • Luke_I_am_your_spotter
    Luke_I_am_your_spotter Posts: 4,179 Member
    Options
    cle61.gif
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    lol I love you guys. At first I was picturing the actual dinner they give you at Midieval Times and thought I could get down with that.
  • senecarr
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »

Yeah, but you can only eat it in season. If it isn't available from Medieval Times and your local ren faire isn't open in the winter, no Christmas fried oreos.
  • senecarr
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    lol I love you guys. At first I was picturing the actual dinner they give you at Midieval Times and thought I could get down with that.

That's exactly it. Are you imply that the dinners served at Medieval Times don't represent the diets of all those farm muscled peasants from that era?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

That's exactly it. Are you imply that the dinners served at Medieval Times don't represent the diets of all those farm muscled peasants from that era?

Turkey leg and mash? Sounds about right. I don't know. I was 9 the last time I went.
  • senecarr
    Options
    See, I think if I stick with this diet, and do a few Arakh swing exercises, I can get in shape like this:
    latest?cb=20110608171356
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Would fruit be okay? or is it forbidden? And I'm not sure if you are aware of this or not but acetylene and propane were not discovered until much later. 1830's or later? I think to be really authentic, you are looking authenticity I guess, trebuchets and tar on fire hurled at dragons until dead and then roasted on a spit with turnips and ale. The perfect meal.
  • senecarr
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Would fruit be okay? or is it forbidden? And I'm not sure if you are aware of this or not but acetylene and propane were not discovered until much later. 1830's or later? I think to be really authentic, you are looking authenticity I guess, trebuchets and tar on fire hurled at dragons until dead and then roasted on a spit with turnips and ale. The perfect meal.

Well obviously the dragons' fire is magic, but I don't have third level spells yet to cast fireball, so I was trying to figure out which would be the closest modern substitute to dragon fire.

I'm just glad I'm not terribly short. If you're under 5 feet, you absolutely have, have to do six meals a day including second breakfast, and you need to incorporate a lot of walking. Like so much walking that you feel you've been watching what should be a 90 minute movie but instead it has stretch to four hours from walking.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Well obviously the dragons' fire is magic, but I don't have third level spells yet to cast fireball, so I was trying to figure out which would be the closest modern substitute to dragon fire.

I'm just glad I'm not terribly short. If you're under 5 feet, you absolutely have, have to do six meals a day including second breakfast, and you need to incorporate a lot of walking. Like so much walking that you feel you've been watching what should be a 90 minute movie but instead it has stretch to four hours from walking.

Wow! Sounds complicated but if you say so. I can do this!!
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »

Yeah, but you can only eat it in season. If it isn't available from Medieval Times and your local ren faire isn't open in the winter, no Christmas fried oreos.

darn ! That means I've already messed up. But I'll start fresh tomorrow.

I've heard as long as its eaten in the actual fair grounds , then the carbs don't count. Subtract the fiber from the carbs and then divide it by the grams of sugar, then subtract -7. So my plan is- eat the in season oreos and also nachos with cheese sauce ( yes that is 100% authentic fair food ) all day while in costume at the fair.

I'll be burning 18373 calories just by walking around there. ( I can eat those cals back but only actually eat back 79% to make up for inaccuracies in frying methods )

Then I'll log it all before I leave , to make sure I'm still in keto-mode . after I verify that by using ketostix, I'll go back for one last in season Oreo before I go home.

At that point I'll be practicing intermittent fasting, I won't eat again until the fair opens the next morning. But I'll be in super fat burning mode because of my ketosis and I.F.

So this is my medieval weight loss - health plan.
    I've heard it works well ! ( a guy dressed as a dark Knight told me so it must be true !!)
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    See, I think if I stick with this diet, and do a few Arakh swing exercises, I can get in shape like this:
    latest?cb=20110608171356

Yes that's exactly how it works. ( add in a lil zumba to be safe ) and you'll be 100% competition ready in no time !
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,534 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    (post removed because I just now realized that I should have read your entire post before foaming at the mouth. Don't mind me.)