Bit new to running, would like some advice

Options
Hello, i been running for about a year and did a 5k in may (and i loved it), but i pretty much just go out and run, i don't know anything about training or much of anything really. Should i stretch before or after a run? I heard people eat certain foods before a race is that true? And if so what? Is there anything i can do to help improve my speed and stamina? And if anyone has any general advice or tips for running and 5ks i would be more than happy to hear them :-)

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Read this and come back with questions. Lots of great info.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1217573/so-you-want-to-start-running/p1
  • redleg0530
    redleg0530 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Well I hope I can help. I've been in the army for 10 years. Some people may recommend stretching others may recommend doing warm up exercises. There has been research done about doing warm up exercises before running and it reduces the risk of injuries more then stretching. Start off by finding your fitness level. Run the 5k and time yourself. That will give you a good base of where you are. Then from there you can set goals. Do interval training. Your best friend for speed and stamina is doing sprints and interval training. PM me if you have any questions
  • emilydawkins2
    emilydawkins2 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm a sprinter but it works out the same way.
    You don't stretch before a run. Stretching is relaxing the muscles (putting them back to sleep) instead you should be doing drills e.g. Dynamic stretches (this wakes up the muscles)
    You should do a warm up of at least 10-15 mins even 20 mins when competing.
    In terms of diet, before a run or race you should eat 1 hour prior otherwise you'd get a stitch etc, what you should be eating since you're doing long distance is carbs! This is the main fuel source for aerobic training. Before a run you don't want to eat too much, it should be light so for example 2 pieces of toast with honey or peanut butter (these spreads are easily digested and gives you energy) and a banana. For a race, what you eat for the last few days is what's gonna count. There are energy gels you can get for while you're running, these gels gives you energy as you are burning a lot. They are really small packets that you can keep in your pocket when running, check it out.
    Feel free to add me for any further questions, support, or if you simply want to have a chat :) good luck!! Hope this helps
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You don't stretch before a run. Stretching is relaxing the muscles (putting them back to sleep) instead you should be doing drills e.g. Dynamic stretches (this wakes up the muscles)
    In terms of diet, before a run or race you should eat 1 hour prior otherwise you'd get a stitch etc, what you should be eating since you're doing long distance is carbs! This is the main fuel source for aerobic training. Before a run you don't want to eat too much, it should be light so for example 2 pieces of toast with honey or peanut butter (these spreads are easily digested and gives you energy) and a banana. For a race, what you eat for the last few days is what's gonna count. There are energy gels you can get for while you're running, these gels gives you energy as you are burning a lot. They are really small packets that you can keep in your pocket when running, check it out.
    Feel free to add me for any further questions, support, or if you simply want to have a chat :) good luck!! Hope this helps

5k isn't really long distance, you could do it on an empty stomach.
  • cyronius
    cyronius Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I run all of my 5ks on an empty stomach, first thing of a morning 3 times a week.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I've run a 10k-just because, not race on an empty stomach. i might drink some milk before my 8k race just to have something. or a small banana. things jiggle around in there are make it upset so i tend to run fasted
  • emilydawkins2
    edited October 2015
    Options

Yeah but you still gotta fuel that body
  • mbaker566
    Options

you don't have to fuel before. especially for 'short' distances.
    eating beforehand slows me down. because i have to stop and puke. and no one is happy. not me, not the person's yard bush i just barfed in.

fueling can be done the night before if running in the morning.
    races themselves are a different animal but for regular short morning runs, no prefuel is necessary
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options

I would agree that 5K isn't a long distance, and you don't need to fuel for it. Eat a good dinner with larger (for you) amount of carbs the night before and you're good to go. You don't need to overload in the carbs, just maybe a slightly increase them, and maintain balance in the meal too though. I think I read somewhere that you don't need to really carb load for anything that will take you under an hour to complete, or is less than 10KM or so. This is potentially a personal preference, so not going to say it's right but perhaps just kind of a general rule of thumb? I'm not a distance runner at all, so I can't speak to it but I know for 5 and 10K distances that too much carb loading the week of and day before leads to poorer performances.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »

you don't have to fuel before. especially for 'short' distances.
    eating beforehand slows me down. because i have to stop and puke. and no one is happy. not me, not the person's yard bush i just barfed in.

fueling can be done the night before if running in the morning.
    races themselves are a different animal but for regular short morning runs, no prefuel is necessary

I run 4 miles regularly before work and always do it right after I wake up and before eating anything. There's no problems with fuel, I'll keep the same pace throughout the run. Your body has more than enough glycogen to last for about 90 minutes of running so as long as you ate normally the night before and didn't do anything vigorous afterward you'd have plenty of fuel for 3 or 4 miles first thing in the morning. Now on weekends I often run longer and if I know my run is going to be around the 90 minute mark or longer I'll make sure to eat some easily digestible carbs 30 minutes or so before I head out. If it's going to be longer than that I take something to eat (jelly beans, for example) while I'm running.

Races are definitely different. Fueling up in the days leading up to the race are the most important and I'll always have something like a half bagel and a banana an hour or so before my start time. The thing to remember is that what goes in has to come out and you don't want to need to use the bathroom in the middle of a long training run or race.
  • emilydawkins2
    Options
    I personally think it depends on your level of fitness, also I said it depends what you've been eating the last few days I don't mean carb loading (should of been more specific)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Personally I'll do a 10 miler fasted, but it does depend on generally eating adequately.

For a 5K, I wouldn't intentionally eat anything beforehand.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I burn about 300 calories doing 5k, so I don't really see where the need is to load up anywhere. I could just eat a McDonald's cheeseburger when I am done and it would have wiped all of that burn out.
  • HostageCat
    HostageCat Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your help! Im greatfull for all of you advise.
    There is another question i have, which is what is best to wear for winter runs? I just found out about a 5k in the 1st week of December and i want to do it but haven't done any running outside when it got below 45 (yes i know im a wimp when it comes to cold weather). I heard to wear something moisture wicking...
  • mbaker566
    Options
    Moisture wicking and layers
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    HostageCat wrote: »
    There is another question i have, which is what is best to wear for winter runs? I just found out about a 5k in the 1st week of December and i want to do it but haven't done any running outside when it got below 45 (yes i know im a wimp when it comes to cold weather). I heard to wear something moisture wicking...

I don't know what early December weather is like in your area but in mine it's just getting nice enough for long daytime runs. LOL

You want to wear moisture wicking apparel whatever the weather, really. It dries quickly so it won't get heavy and chafing and that means your sweat won't build up in it during your run. For cold weather, layers are important. I personally wear short sleeves down into the 40s once I get warmed up because I get hot when I run. I start in a light running jacket above the technical shirt then tie the jacket around my waist once I get warmed up. For a 5K, I might go with long sleeves just because I'd not be getting too heated until about race end. Capris or long pants, running gloves if it's cold enough along with something to cover your ears because those get cold with the wind you're creating going against them.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    HostageCat wrote: »

There is an art to dressing for running in cold weather, and you learn what works best for you by experimenting. That's a fancy way of saying, you need to train in the kind of weather you will race in. If you have scheduled a race when the temperature is likely to be below freezing, staying indoors when the temperature gets below 45 won't cut it.

The way I learned to run in cold weather was, I started running in August. Then I just kept running outside every week till February. As the seasons changed, I was forced to learn what to wear in different conditions as they arose. A year later, the changing seasons were no big deal. I just remembered what I wore last year in these conditions, and dressed the same.

Specific advice as to what you should wear at what temperature is likely to be wrong. I ran races this weekend and last at 45 and 37 degrees, and saw runners wearing a wide variety of clothing from shorts and tees to tights and multiple layers for the same race on the same day in the same weather. Some wore gloves, some did not. And I'm talking about experienced runners who know what works for them, not about novices making mistakes. One size does not fit all.