Calories in skinless raw whole chicken

Options
I have just started on my weight loss journey and this is my very first post! I'm planning to start a weekly meal prep starting next week for the first time in my life. So, I'm in the process of figuring out calories in each ingredient for my recipe. I bought a skinless raw whole chicken from a local butcher shop which does not have any nutritional information. The weight of chicken is around 600g which is bone-in.

Can someone help me figure out what would be nutritional value and proper serving size?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    So search exactly what you just typed, bone in.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Also, use the recipe builder. It makes everything about a million times easier. I have calculated recipes by hand for 7 years, but using MFP just made everything simple.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    If you do not have a kitchen scale to weigh your food, you are going to have to use estimates.
    From the USDA National Nutrient Database, on average, there is 197g unit yield from 1 lb. (454g) ready-to-cook chicken. So on average, 600g of bone-in raw chicken will yield [197g x (600g/454g)] = 260g raw meat; which provides 309 Calories.

Reference:
    http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/834
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    this is what I do, sounds complicated but takes 2 mins and I think it's quite accurate, feedback more than welcome as I tried to work it out for a while and I don't trust generic entries:

weight the raw chicken - let's say 1000g

info about "raw edible portion as sold" is provided, let's say 150cal/100g

cook it

weigh it after cooking it, eg 800g

eat it, weigh how much I left, let's say 200g of bones, work out how much I eat of cooked stuff, 800-200 = 600grams

now, water and other was lost during cooking, so I apply my cooking conversion factor raw/cooked weight, eg 1000/800=1.25x

so, I've theoretically eaten then 600gramsx1.25=750grams of raw chicken

750grams x 1.50cal/g=1125 cal

if you add other stuff, like piri piri seasoning, I just log everything separately and divide per number of servings

I might over estimate a bit but better to be on the safe side, there are entries about cooked meat but I think it depends on how much/how you cook it so I don't trust them
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    For a whole chicken it's going to work better to weigh it cooked, before you eat it. Then you won't need to include the bones and can separate it out between breast and leg meat, etc. There are good USDA entries in the database for cooked chicken (it specifies cooking method, such as roasting). If you add any fast or other higher cal ingredients before cooking you will need to include that too.
  • zghaffar
    zghaffar Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. This was very helpful!