How effective is Yoga for weight loss?

13»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    I am a huge fan of yoga myself. Mostly because I look phenomenal in yoga pants (that's a lie), but also because I enjoy running and yoga is great for stretching and relieving sore muscles after a run (that's the true part).

I actually hate yoga, but it is great for tight hammy's after running. Other than that I hate everything about it. It's boring, I hate hearing people breathing, it's always hot in the yoga studio even if I was going to vinyasa and not bikram, the music sucks, I'm not spiritual at all, the list goes on and on.

So yeah, great for tight hamstrings.

I practice yoga at home where I control the temperature and playlist. I'm working back up to my Om Namah Shivaya / Inna Gadda Da Vida Sun Salutations, but for now am mostly using Krishna Das and Enigma.
  • emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    emhunter wrote: »
    Often, one doesn't have to exercise to lose weight. When I first started my journey, I ate about 1400 cals and did not exercise and still lost weight.

However if you want to workout, yoga can help you burn calories. But you will need to do a power yoga or a vinyasa flow class. The other styles burn a lot less. Either way, the fact that you are moving and not just sitting on the couch will help you be active and get healthy and ultimately will help in your long term weight loss. I recommend combining yoga with some other forms of cardio to ensure you are getting the best results on your weight loss and fitness journey.

NEVER, does one have to exercise to lose weight. One has to eat in a deficit to lose weight. Exercise is for health.

There are reasons why someone couldn't eat at a deficit. In any event, not going into it. Prefer to just stick to the OP. Thanks for providing your feedback.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Often, one doesn't have to exercise to lose weight. When I first started my journey, I ate about 1400 cals and did not exercise and still lost weight.

However if you want to workout, yoga can help you burn calories. But you will need to do a power yoga or a vinyasa flow class. The other styles burn a lot less. Either way, the fact that you are moving and not just sitting on the couch will help you be active and get healthy and ultimately will help in your long term weight loss. I recommend combining yoga with some other forms of cardio to ensure you are getting the best results on your weight loss and fitness journey.

NEVER, does one have to exercise to lose weight. One has to eat in a deficit to lose weight. Exercise is for health.

There are reasons why someone couldn't eat at a deficit. In any event, not going into it. Prefer to just stick to the OP. Thanks for providing your feedback.

If you add exercise and don't increase your intake, you're still eating in a deficit. The point is you don't HAVE to exercise to achieve a deficit, but many people choose to exercise. The key is still to eat less than you are expending whether you don't exercise, do yoga, or run marathons.
  • emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    auddii wrote: »

If you add exercise and don't increase your intake, you're still eating in a deficit. The point is you don't HAVE to exercise to achieve a deficit, but many people choose to exercise. The key is still to eat less than you are expending whether you don't exercise, do yoga, or run marathons.

Agreed
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    i do yoga because it really calms me down its so relaxing... i have been doing stand up paddle board yoga in the ocean recently its amazing!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member

Not sure what you mean by "someone could not eat at a deficit?" Why not?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member

thrj7ph9kfn5.jpeg
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member

If you have body fat, you can oxidize fatty acids at around 31 kCal / lb body fat a day WITHOUT high intensity exercise, and possibly even higher for a resistance trained individual.
    You can generate even greater deficits but that involves kissing LBM good bye. Personally I like most of LBM.