Am I Eating Too Little and Freaking My Body Out???

Okay, here's the specs:

Height: 5'5
Weight: 172
Current Weight Lost: 26 pounds
Calories Eating in a Day: 1685 + whatever I gain from exercise

My typical exercise is a three mile run, occasionally four or five miles. Days that I don't run I do ab workouts and stair master. As you can see I've already lost 26 pounds; my current goal is to hit 160 and see how I feel. I am built muscularly, so though my BMI is recommended at 151, I want to see how I feel at 160 first. For that reason, I'm not sure if these 12 left for me at the moment are what Jillian Michaels calls "Vanity Pounds" or not. Anyway, I just recently slowly cut my calories from 1800-something to 1700-something to 1685 where I'm at now, and I just started running in the past month. I used to do the elliptical. I'm worried, after listening to a lot of Jillian Michaels podcasts, that I'm shocking myself into a starvation mode. I tried calculating my TDEE and BMR (which came out to 2507 and 1617 respectively) based off of the advice given to others like me on the site here, but I just got sufficiently more confused now.

What I want to know is if I'm eating too little to lose my 12 more. MFP says I'm eating, right now, enough to lose 1.5 pounds a week, but the scale hasn't really budged in the past two weeks too much, so I'm worried. Kind of hovering around 172/173.

Should I be eating more?

Replies

• 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    In a word, no. That is plenty of calories to get all the nutrients you need and a small enough deficit that your remaining fat stores should be the primary source for it.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    If your BMR is 1617, your sedentary TDEE is around 1950. 1685 is less than 300 calories below that, making it if anything a modest goal. This is assuming you are adding exercise calories on top of that.

In other words, it sounds like you're running a daily calorie deficit in the range of 300 calories.
  • catgianna
    catgianna Posts: 1
    Maybe you have hit a plateau? Change up your exercise routine. I've been told that your body strives for homeostasis and will "get used to" you routine and stop changing.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    It doesn't sound like you are eating at a large enough deficit to worry about "starvation mode." I lost my weight with a calorie goal of 1350 + exercise, and am now trying to maintain with 1500-1600 + exercise. It seems that you are doing mostly cardio. What helped me the most was adding resistance training to the mix. Try alternating days of cardio (like running or stair master) then the next day do strength/resistance training. I lost more weight when combining the two than with cardio alone. And its a double bonus because you will be preserving your lean body mass (muscle) so you will have a nice sculpted look as you burn the fat away. Cardio only can lead to muscle loss. More muscle also means more calories burned at rest.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    With a Mifflin BMR of 1551, that's not bad at all (unless you have more muscle to fat ratio than expected and metabolism is running higher).

But, as you have less to loose to a healthy level, the less you should be trying to lose, or it'll be seen as higher stress to body.

Not that starvation mode will set in, but your body can slow down and adapt to what it gets as food compared to what it's being asked to spend on activity.

12 lbs to go should be between 1/2 to 1 lb to lose, not 1.5, that's too much.

Go for 1/2 for couple weeks to unstress body, then go to 1 lb weekly until down to 8-10 lbs, then go back to 1/2 lb weekly.

With narrow margin for error and seeing success, you'll also have to confirm intake side of equation, you weigh everything, or are aware how off it can be if you don't?

And burning side of equation since correctly eating back exercise. Running is great with MFP estimate if you do the pace it uses in the description, if so better than HRM.

But other stuff could be off one way or another.

So yes to eating more, by taking less of a deficit.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,656 Member
    Okay, here's the specs:

Height: 5'5
    Weight: 172
    Current Weight Lost: 26 pounds
    Calories Eating in a Day: 1685 + whatever I gain from exercise

My typical exercise is a three mile run, occasionally four or five miles. Days that I don't run I do ab workouts and stair master. As you can see I've already lost 26 pounds; my current goal is to hit 160 and see how I feel. I am built muscularly, so though my BMI is recommended at 151, I want to see how I feel at 160 first. For that reason, I'm not sure if these 12 left for me at the moment are what Jillian Michaels calls "Vanity Pounds" or not. Anyway, I just recently slowly cut my calories from 1800-something to 1700-something to 1685 where I'm at now, and I just started running in the past month. I used to do the elliptical. I'm worried, after listening to a lot of Jillian Michaels podcasts, that I'm shocking myself into a starvation mode. I tried calculating my TDEE and BMR (which came out to 2507 and 1617 respectively) based off of the advice given to others like me on the site here, but I just got sufficiently more confused now.

What I want to know is if I'm eating too little to lose my 12 more. MFP says I'm eating, right now, enough to lose 1.5 pounds a week, but the scale hasn't really budged in the past two weeks too much, so I'm worried. Kind of hovering around 172/173.

Should I be eating more?

No, you are not eating too little and if you tell MFP to adjust the daily calorie total when that little box appears you will find it reduces your calories intake further.

You are eating plenty and may need to reduce those calories - some people won't like me saying that, but that is the way it works.
  • ced1389
    ced1389 Posts: 96 Member
    I hope this doesn't come off rude, I don't mean it to, but what are you eating? We have almost the same specs except I'm an inch shorter & 3 years older. I'm at around 1300 calories a day, so I can definitely say you're not eating too little (not saying you necessarily need to eat less either!) but what are you consuming?

I also agree that when you hit a plateau, you might need to change up your workout. Try some hills, even if it's walking, backwards incline, sprint workouts, etc.

I started out at 203, I'm now 165. I hit a plateau around 175; switched up my workouts, starting eating a lot more lean protein and veggies, and the 10 came off like nothin!
  • itsmandible
    itsmandible Posts: 88 Member
    I think starvation mode was the wrong word... Jillian Michaels was calling it your body hanging on to the weight because it believes it is now healthy and wants some extra weight "in case of famine" because that's how we've evolved.

Anyway, what heybales said makes a lot of sense to me; that's kind of what Jillian Michaels was saying, I was wondering if my 1.5 pounds wanting to be lost was too much for the last ten or so pounds, and it sounds like he's agreeing. In terms of what I'm eating, I've never seen that as a problem. Chicken breast, lean ground turkey, salmon, veggies and fruits and non-fat yogurt and brown rice is what dominates my diet I'd say - I do indulge in ice cream, eating out, et cetera but always within my calorie allotment for the day, which is why I've been confused by this plateau and hearing this new information from the podcasts, very confusing!
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    1600 is plenty.
  • itsmandible
    To those who say eat LESS, personally for myself, I don't see how that makes sense as a solution. The last five pounds I just lost (from early-May to early June) was eating 1830-something I think (from 178 to 173), and then I recalculated (as I've heard you're supposed to do every 5 pounds) and it came up to be 1685 this time, and that's supposedly got me burning 1.5 pounds a week...
  • itsmandible
    ced1389 - I see you run, too! I'm trying to increase my running endurance so for the past two months my main fitness goals have been to clock in more mileage, faster run times, et cetera. What kind of things did you do to change up your workouts while maintaining your endurance and such?! (ps - you didn't come off as rude at all, no worries!)
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    On another note.. if ur not losing and u still have fat to lose, which u do... u r not at a deficit. I eat 1200... run 3 miles a day, crossfit 5 days a week and throw in 2 days of weights each week. I lose 2 lbs a week. When i hit a wall at 165 i dropped calories and cleaned it up... im 2 lbs away from my 145 goal and decided to go for 135 bc i can. Im strong, healthy, and getting faster everyday.
  • jonnythan
    Two weeks isn't enough time to warrant changing things up.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member

Yep. Stick with the plan.

Might want to review the calories you're eating back from exercise. May be overestimating on that front.
  • itsmandible
    On another note.. if ur not losing and u still have fat to lose, which u do... u r not at a deficit. I eat 1200... run 3 miles a day, crossfit 5 days a week and throw in 2 days of weights each week. I lose 2 lbs a week. When i hit a wall at 165 i dropped calories and cleaned it up... im 2 lbs away from my 145 goal and decided to go for 135 bc i can. Im strong, healthy, and getting faster everyday.

Wow, that's amazing! Good for you!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    With a Mifflin BMR of 1551, that's not bad at all (unless you have more muscle to fat ratio than expected and metabolism is running higher).

But, as you have less to loose to a healthy level, the less you should be trying to lose, or it'll be seen as higher stress to body.

Not that starvation mode will set in, but your body can slow down and adapt to what it gets as food compared to what it's being asked to spend on activity.

12 lbs to go should be between 1/2 to 1 lb to lose, not 1.5, that's too much.

Go for 1/2 for couple weeks to unstress body, then go to 1 lb weekly until down to 8-10 lbs, then go back to 1/2 lb weekly.

With narrow margin for error and seeing success, you'll also have to confirm intake side of equation, you weigh everything, or are aware how off it can be if you don't?

And burning side of equation since correctly eating back exercise. Running is great with MFP estimate if you do the pace it uses in the description, if so better than HRM.

But other stuff could be off one way or another.

So yes to eating more, by taking less of a deficit.

QFT
  • itsmandible

Might want to review the calories you're eating back from exercise. May be overestimating on that front.

Okay, I think I was just worrying myself with the podcasts I'd be listening to! What would be too long of plateau where I should look at my fitness side? Definitely going to reevaluate my calorie intake too since it doesn't seem like it's right according to MFP!
  • jonnythan
    Your only mistake was listening to Jillian Michaels podcasts.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member

Okay, I think I was just worrying myself with the podcasts I'd be listening to! What would be too long of plateau where I should look at my fitness side? Definitely going to reevaluate my calorie intake too since it doesn't seem like it's right according to MFP!

If you don't lose anything for six weeks, that may indicate a plateau.

ETA: while I was losing the "big chunk" of weight (60 pounds), my weight would level off for three weeks, then I would drop 3-4 pounds. Just keep doing what you're doing, because it sounds like you are doing great...but if after six weeks the scale hasn't budged, then re-evaluate. Good luck! :)
  • itsmandible
    Okay, so my BMR came out to be 1557, according to this calculator (http://www.wikihow.com/Calculate-How-Many-Calories-You-Need-to-Eat-to-Lose-Weight). Now, since I workout 5 days a week (plus walking a mile to and from work 6 days a week), I figured I should multiply by the moderate activity one, so I multiplied by 1.55. Now, that puts me at 2414, so do I subtract 500 from that to lose a pound a week or do I subtract it from the original 1557.................. and if I subtract 750 for a pound and a half from that higher numbers it puts me right where I'm at now, more of less. so I'm calculating something wrong....