Garmin Vivofit 2

Options
Has anybody the Vivofit 2?
Do you need to have the HRM w/ Vivofit2 in order to count calories?

Can you just wear the Vivofit to count calories?

Replies

• curves2j
    curves2j Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have a vivofit. Garmin has been playing around with the connect app for awhile now. Unfortunately mfp and connect app won't synch the calories. You can attempt to manually sync, add mfp to your connect app- it still won't work. What I do is use mfp for my meals and after I sync my vivofit at night I manually enter a garmin adjustment into mfp for my active calories burned. That is a close as it can get right now- until they fix it. There was an update on the app this week- but still doesn't sync calories over. Hope that helps!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I just went from a Fitbit flex to the Vivofit. Like @curves2j said, there is some connectivity issue with MFP but overall I absolutely love it. I do not use the HRM because I know they are not accurate for anything except steady state cardio and the Vivofit HRM does not work in water (the tracker itself is water resistant to 50 meters).
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    How is good is it with counting calories?
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    My garmin syncs with MFP with no issues lately. Around the holidays last year it stopped working when MFP upgraded their stuff, but it's been fine for months. I do the manually sync from the garmin connect website though since I have a windows phone and they don't make the garmin app for it.

I have the HRM but don't always use it because I'm trying not to eat my exercise calories. If you don't wear the hrm for your steady-state cardio then you will just get the steps logged. I find mine to be pretty accurate. I have the 1st vivofit, but I can't imagine the 2nd is much different.
  • lx3tx
    lx3tx Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I don't have the HRM and use mine to count calories. I find it works well.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    lx3tx wrote: »
    I don't have the HRM and use mine to count calories. I find it works well.

Mine too. The estimated TDEE is a little lower than the TDEE I got from my Fitbit Flex, which is fine with me because I am set to lose at a slow rate so a little faster (assuming the Fitbit was more accurate, which I do not know yet) is OK and still safe.

The HRM may give you a little more accurate calorie count when you are doing cardio workouts, but it has no advantage for the remainder of your day.
  • curves2j
    curves2j Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I use the HRM as much as possible to get more accurate active calories. I don't eat back my calories unless I feel it necessary. I have had spot on weight loss of 2 to 3 lbs per week. So I'd say it is pretty darn accurate and in combo with MFP they are a force to be reckoned with!